Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times

Advertisements

Of course I downloaded the pics I have but you can't see anything in the nest. Dh ordered a better lens so I hope to get it soon. The activity is only there in the morning and I have been watching on and off all afternoon, but nothing.

Will keep you all updated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 08:06 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,346,696 times
Do you live near water? I've seen osprey near many of the lakes here lately.

Apparently ospreys and eagles won't live in the same places.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Up in Harmar Township along the Allegheny there was competition last year between a red tail pair and the bald eagle pair for a nest site. The red tails were there first, but the eagles eventually evicted them it seems and have returned to that nest site this year. Apparently they have at least one egg too. Bald eagles in Harmar lay an egg - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The pair in Crescent Township on the Ohio are the most successful, known to have fledged an eaglet in 2013 and in 2012. The Hays pair had one last year that I think made it.

Watch the Hays nest here: PixController, Inc. Bald Eagle Webcam There are 3 eggs in the Hays nest. Not likely for all three young to survive but one or two should. Expected to hatch around March 26.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:46 AM

674 posts, read 1,406,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Of course I downloaded the pics I have but you can't see anything in the nest. Dh ordered a better lens so I hope to get it soon. The activity is only there in the morning and I have been watching on and off all afternoon, but nothing.

Will keep you all updated.
I will be curious to see what you find out. These birds, whatever they may be, have been around since we moved in our house five years ago. They creep me out and I always fear them divebombing the kids. They love to sit on our roof. They also love to poop all over our kids' playset. Sometimes they perch on mailboxes. They don't seem to be particularly fearful of people.

For those who asked about bodies of water, there are no real bodies of water nearby. A few fairly dry retaining ponds and there's a creek or two within a mile or two. (I live close to the OP).

Old 03-17-2014, 10:21 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
I will be curious to see what you find out. These birds, whatever they may be, have been around since we moved in our house five years ago. They creep me out and I always fear them divebombing the kids. They love to sit on our roof. They also love to poop all over our kids' playset. Sometimes they perch on mailboxes. They don't seem to be particularly fearful of people.

For those who asked about bodies of water, there are no real bodies of water nearby. A few fairly dry retaining ponds and there's a creek or two within a mile or two. (I live close to the OP).
You shouldn't have to worry bout a hawk or any other bird dive-bombing anyone unless they feel their nest or their chicks are threatened. Therefore, if you know where the nest is, steer clear, and if you don't know where it is and you're not getting any attention from the birds, you should be fine.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Watch the Hays nest here: PixController, Inc. Bald Eagle Webcam
That's incredible! I can't wait to see the activity after the eggs hatch!

Old 03-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
You shouldn't have to worry bout a hawk or any other bird dive-bombing anyone unless they feel their nest or their chicks are threatened. Therefore, if you know where the nest is, steer clear, and if you don't know where it is and you're not getting any attention from the birds, you should be fine.
They're only protective for a short period of time while the chicks are in the nest. If Burghgirl17 is seeing the same birds as Okaydorothy. Their nest is in Okaydorothy's yard, not Burghgirl's. They won't feel protective while they're on Burghgirl's roof because the nest isn't nearby.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:12 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,798,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
They're only protective for a short period of time while the chicks are in the nest. If Burghgirl17 is seeing the same birds as Okaydorothy. Their nest is in Okaydorothy's yard, not Burghgirl's. They won't feel protective while they're on Burghgirl's roof because the nest isn't nearby.
As I said (maybe poorly), if they haven't dive-bombed Burghgirl or her kin in the past, then the nest is elsewhere and there's nothing to worry about.

Even then, they only dive-bomb to harass. They won't actually attack anyone.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,346,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine a 2 pound bird would make a very good living attacking large people or children or dogs like some people seem to think.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
As I said (maybe poorly), if they haven't dive-bombed Burghgirl or her kin in the past, then the nest is elsewhere and there's nothing to worry about.

Even then, they only dive-bomb to harass. They won't actually attack anyone.
I was just using your post as a springboard to elaborate on what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Yeah, I can't imagine a 2 pound bird would make a very good living attacking large people or children or dogs like some people seem to think.
They just try to scare you via swooshing down closely. They won't actually attack people, children or pets over 20lbs. People with small pets or puppies should keep them on a leash and stay with them while outside if there is a nest nearby. Children are safe because no mother would leave a child under 20lbs outside by itself.

Protect Pets From Birds of Prey - Protect Pets From Owls and Hawks - Keep Pets Safe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh