Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 PM

288 posts, read 511,169 times

Advertisements

I think downtown Pittsburgh, particularly all of Grant street, needs its lights adjusted. There's something really off with the flow of traffic that causes both pedestrians and cars to act erratically. Some of the crosswalks will flash the walk sign literally only once, and then it immediately goes back to the do not walk. If you obeyed the law, one person would cross per cycle. Then there are left hand turns across traffic that are only green long enough for one car to get through, but the turning lane can hold upwards of 10 cars. If people decide to actually obey the law in that situation, it causes gridlock.

Lastly, if you are caught stopping anywhere downtown for any reason and blocking traffic, it should be an automatic one year ban of your license. I'm tired of people idling on Grant street during rush hour, particularly whoever delivers food to Jimmy John's. They'll park their truck at what is a designated bus stop for over a half hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2014, 12:02 PM

567 posts, read 1,161,203 times
Here's an interesting link for everyone:
Murder Machines: Why Cars Will Kill 30,000 Americans This Year | Collectors Weekly

Old 03-25-2014, 12:05 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
So, if I drive a Civic to save gas and I get creamed by someone in an Expedition pulling a trailer full of rocks, it's my own fault for dying?

That's really a horrible attitude. I don't think there are very many accidents at all. Mostly, it is people driving too fast to control themselves and blaming "accident" for their mistake.
thx - as a 'most days' cyclist, I somewhat agree!!!

Although, as I've said in the past, I've had 2 instances in a year where I had to brake hard due to people turning in front of my at lights. Both were around CMU and looked like students, certainly young. Overall, I find drivers pretty darn good while on my bike. It only takes one mistake though ....

Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockthecasbah121 View Post
I think downtown Pittsburgh, particularly all of Grant street, needs its lights adjusted.
There used to a be a cop directing traffic on Grant during rush hour. He kept things moving.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,289 times
Quote:
There used to a be a cop directing traffic on Grant during rush hour. He kept things moving.
Vic Cianca

Old 03-25-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Nice clip. However, that was a little before my time.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:39 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
His moves are so graceful... almost a mesmerizing performance.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:42 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,585,884 times
Quote:
So, if I drive a Civic to save gas and I get creamed by someone in an Expedition pulling a trailer full of rocks, it's my own fault for dying?

That's really a horrible attitude. I don't think there are very many accidents at all. Mostly, it is people driving too fast to control themselves and blaming "accident" for their mistake.
You assume that the civic offers significantly less protection in a minor accident than the Expedition, and you would be wrong.

I think a horrible attitude is blaming everyone else for your own irresponsibility.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
I think a horrible attitude is blaming everyone else for your own irresponsibility.
You are, as a driver or a cyclist, responsible for not hitting things. The things you hit are not responsible for not being easily damaged.

Old 03-25-2014, 12:52 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
His moves are so graceful... almost a mesmerizing performance.
The blurb on the Pitt webpage mentions how his style won him an appearance on Candid Camera in 1963, winning him national fame. I remember his sequence from Flashdance, though I wasn't aware of who he was at the time, so I didn't pay as close attention as I otherwise would have.

I don't know if he would have helped me as a driver as I might have found myself paying more attention to his movements than what he was actually communicating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh