U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 03:31 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,821,065 times

Advertisements

Well, this thread took off in a different way than I had in mind when I started up yesterday, and carolinacracker is no longer a member, I see. However, I was not just referring to the treatment of him. londonbarcelona is another good example, and you can be sure it wasn't carolina who gave her all that crap about her post on the strip district. He probably agreed with her! I, too, have received a lot of nasty rep comments, at times with positive rep (?) b/c someone has learned that is how to fly under the radar. Also, I received a nasty DM that caused me to disable my DM capablitly. The DM came from a known Pittsburgher (no longer a member), and the reps were mostly for posts on the Pittsburgh forum. Some of them were not even negative. Now, I do not equate all that with Pittsburgh, the city, but it does make visiting this forum a lot less fun.

On another subject, the poster(s) who disappeared, I am curious to know how subdivisions knows about a DM someone else got. Did the recipient share this with you? Cheninjim's last post was 1-28-07, and Hopes' last post was 10-10-07, so I don't think that's the cause and effect. Just my take on it.

My point is, on the other forums I visit, this stuff just does not happen! The Colorado forum folks rarely give out a negative rep. The few I have gotten seem to be from new posters who don't understand the system. I have never gotten a nasty DM from anyone on that forum. And yes, there is plenty of controversy on that forum. People do get angry, and tempers do fly, but by and large, it is a respectful place.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-17-2008, 07:29 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,389,196 times
Quote:
and carolinacracker is no longer a member, I see.
He's not? I still see his posts up in certain threads.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,821,065 times
^^^ Yes, but it says "Not a member" under his name.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:37 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,389,196 times
Quote:
^^^ Yes, but it says "Not a member" under his name.
I see! Ty!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:04 PM

80 posts, read 257,599 times
"Rate this positively"? What's that all about? "Reputation"? I don't give a damn what anyone thinks about me or what I post on these forums....It's a free country, I'm entitled to my opinions, and as long as I don't use profanity or threaten anyone or in some other way get out of hand, who cares what people think.....

Old 02-20-2008, 07:56 AM

673 posts, read 1,938,996 times
I just wanted to vent about what seems to be a popular method of debate in the Pittsburgh forum. As we are all well aware, opinions are not only allowed, but welcomed here. That is the whole point of this site, to divulge facts and opinions you may have about Pittsburgh.

A very distinct problem arises, however, when one states his/her opinion and claims it as fact. Then the argument turns into:

Person 1: "No, its like this"

Person 2: "No, its like THIS!"

I think if everyone states their opinion, debates briefly about why it is they feel that way, then moves on, the forum would be much more enjoyable.

Making statements like the following are false (I bike in Pittsburgh and it happens to be obvious to me that it is bike friendly) and do no one any good.

Quote:
its so bloody obvious to anybody that bikes in Pittsburgh that it isn't bike friendly that this is rather silly.
A better way to word this would be:

Quote:
When I rode my bike in Pittsburgh, I personally found the streets to be very dangerous for bikers, and I thought the city itself lacked a bike culture. [insert supporting story here]
This would serve to state your opinion, allow someone to interpret what that means for them, and move on. For an outsider to happen upon the former quote, there is nothing they can possibly gain from that, other than there is someone who wishes to greatly exaggerate his/her opinion on the matter.

Okay, class is dismissed on debating 101. Now, let me move on to a popular argument on this forum:

Quote:
Pretending that there isn't a problem will not solve the problem.
While this may be true, focusing on the problem, and bitching about its negative implications also will not solve the problem. Most likely it will only make the problem worse! Instead of people constantly bitching about the problems the city faces, why not concentrate the energy on the positive movements that are already in effect attempting to remedy these problems. Instead of saying there are not enough bike lanes, why not say something like:

Quote:
There are a small number of bike lanes in the city currently, and organizations like Bike Pittsburgh are working hard to ensure that all new construction projects take bikers into consideration, as well as to create more bike lanes where streets would allow it.
This would prove your point that bike lanes are not prevalent around Pittsburgh, show that its bike culture is fairly young, but at the same time concentrate on the solution, instead of the problem.

Remember two things:

1.) While pretending a problem doesn't exist probably wont get you anywhere, NEITHER WILL BITCHING ABOUT IT.

2.) Don't be a part of the problem, be a part of the solution.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 PM

160 posts, read 136,330 times
Well, I think Pittsburgh is a nice city and sorry if people are upset with my posting about drugs. Guylocke. post was the most accurate. My experience hit close to home.......my x boyfriend. Ive been living in Nv for 2 years and it's been know to be the Crank Meth capital of AMerica. everywhere you go....bathroom, library,
bank Highway billboards you willl see this Meth - The equal opportunity destroyer

http://www.carson-city.nv.us/AntiMeth/workplace.htm (broken link)

Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 PM

160 posts, read 136,330 times
Pittsburgh needs some Hip boutique hotels..I had that in mind and may still consider doing it.

Old 02-23-2008, 07:04 AM

94 posts, read 324,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSTYLE View Post
Pittsburgh needs some Hip boutique hotels..I had that in mind and may still consider doing it.
Will you have a landing pad for your helicopter on it?

Old 02-23-2008, 08:10 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 505,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetheEastEnd View Post
Will you have a landing pad for your helicopter on it?
I Heart you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh