U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 12:50 PM

632 posts, read 1,613,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
Yea, I got pretty P.O'd last night when I saw it on CNN. The police chief said "It is our understanding that Larry may have been making unwanted advances towards the suspect." Like THAT makes it all ok?
And if you think about this exact statement from a heterosexual viewpoint, it doesn't make any sense at all, so how could it even be a reasonable argument from a homosexual viewpoint?

For instance, I've been hit on by lots of guys (I'm a woman) in my life. Not all of those advances were "wanted". Does that make it ok or understandable if I decide to shoot one of them? It's not a reasonable action either way.

In the end it's still all about the shooter and his particular brand of mental problems. It doesn't matter what the gender or sexual orientation of him or his victim was. If you don't want to date someone, for whatever reason, just say "No". How hard is that?
Rate this post positively

Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,268,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
It happened in California, too, which is more surprising. I wouldn't be so shocked if it happened in like the middle of Mississippi or something.
Could you be any more stereotypical?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:27 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,389,520 times
Quote:
Could you be any more stereotypical?
Well considering the average IQ in Mississippi is only a few points higher than legal mental retardation, I think my comment was fine. :P

I'm just kidding!! I have no problem with Mississippians, LOL.

Actually what I said about IQ was a fact, though. And stereotypes (i'm not saying they are right) exist for a reason, good and bad. If there wasn't at least PARTIAL truth behind them, they wouldn't exist. It is a statistical, psychological, and scientific fact that people with lower IQs and people who are more ignorant/naive to worldly matters harbor more prejudice, are more discriminatory, and have a higher rate of bigotry and violence.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:48 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 505,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
And if you think about this exact statement from a heterosexual viewpoint, it doesn't make any sense at all, so how could it even be a reasonable argument from a homosexual viewpoint?

For instance, I've been hit on by lots of guys (I'm a woman) in my life. Not all of those advances were "wanted". Does that make it ok or understandable if I decide to shoot one of them? It's not a reasonable action either way.

In the end it's still all about the shooter and his particular brand of mental problems. It doesn't matter what the gender or sexual orientation of him or his victim was. If you don't want to date someone, for whatever reason, just say "No". How hard is that?
Yep, exactly!. Somehow it makes it more "justifiable". Like "Well, the shooter was guilty and wrong, but, the victim may have flirted with him, after all."

The little monster's lawyer is already gearing up to use that defense to. Gay panic defense - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ask Mathew Shepherd's murderer's how well that worked for them.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:09 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,389,520 times
Jesus, between BVH and SWB, I get so confused on which one of you is writing or what to associate with each one!!

You three letter people, UHG!!!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:14 PM

2,236 posts, read 6,751,330 times
Quote:
Jesus, between BVH and SWB, I get so confused on which one of you is writing or what to associate with each one!!

You don't need to worry about the brevity of my name...although I did forget to add the "d" when I first signed up--it should be "ainulindale" not "ainulinale", oh well.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:54 PM

13,519 posts, read 22,148,301 times
Quote:
It happened in California, too, which is more surprising. I wouldn't be so shocked if it happened in like the middle of Mississippi or something.
Yeah, well -- you shouldn't be surprised -- in the past year I've been hit over the head repeatedly with the fact that it IS like that in California. I've heard more racist and sexist horsehockey in the past year from people who really should know better. When I'm not standing there with my mouth hanging open from shock, I'm letting them know it is NOT appropriate and they are wrong wrong wrong.

Maybe it's the whole general nastiness thing we were talking about earlier but honestly -- people really are stupid sometimes.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:57 PM

31,434 posts, read 70,314,844 times
Quote:

You trendy people, UHG!!!

Old 02-26-2008, 08:17 PM

38,704 posts, read 93,268,004 times
Quote:
Well considering the average IQ in Mississippi is only a few points higher than legal mental retardation, I think my comment was fine. :P

I'm just kidding!! I have no problem with Mississippians, LOL.

Actually what I said about IQ was a fact, though. And stereotypes (i'm not saying they are right) exist for a reason, good and bad. If there wasn't at least PARTIAL truth behind them, they wouldn't exist. It is a statistical, psychological, and scientific fact that people with lower IQs and people who are more ignorant/naive to worldly matters harbor more prejudice, are more discriminatory, and have a higher rate of bigotry and violence.
Blah blah blah. I bet you wouldn't tolerate negative stereotypes of gay people in your presence or let someone explain away their resort to such a stereotype as having "at least some basis in truth", and I'm sure plenty of good Mississippians wouldn't appreciate your characterization of their entire state as knuckle-dragging troglodytes ready to beat the first gay person they see into a pulp. This incident should be surprising and shocking anywhere. It is abberent and abhorrent behavior everywhere. Including Mississippi.

And no less silly is your other implicit stereotype of California as some particularly enlightened, progressive, peaceful place where this kind of thing just doesn't happen because everyone holds hands and dances and sings songs together or some such nonsense. The naivete of both stereotypes is kind of stunning from someone I would have figured was intelligent enough to know better.

Old 02-26-2008, 08:50 PM

141 posts, read 664,459 times
Guylocke!!

omigod, I saw this today and LOL...literally. People came over to my desk wanting to know why...I know you will enjoy it too...

The Burgh Blog » Because the Post Gazette BEGGED me to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh