U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 11:32 PM

338 posts, read 1,267,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

seaharbour: I doubt if anyone decided not to move to Pgh because of City-Data. It seems to me, most people seem to pretty much have their minds made up when they start posting.
Actually... I discovered this website just two days ago (?) while looking for info on various states in consideration of relocating. (The company I've been working for is bellying up.) Anyway... I've driven through PA several times - pretty countryside and took a little test on another site that sends you a list of cities to check (based on your answers) for relocation.

On *This* website (City-Data), in more than PA state postings, I've read numerous comments from others complaining about ppl from PA cutting each other down, so I decided to come to the PA site to check it out for myself, and guess what I found???

LOL - PA ppl cutting each other down! Mercy, folks! With a mix of what I've read on this website and a few folks I met this winter from PA, I'm certainly *wondering* if PA would be too welcoming. I'm guessing at first, but then perhaps not... and that would be sad!

Can you imagine moving to another state - with just your truck and your puppy and finding... ppl all around you talking to each other like some of these posts? (No judgments here - seems I might have missed something in the beginning of *this* particular post, but having already read what I had *before* clicking the PA link and seeing "Pittsburgh chat thread: Take it outside!" (LOL) ... certainly caught my attention! Lol.

So I clicked in...

And as an outsider looking in... who's lived in many places... and considering PA??? It *does* make a difference...

Maybe it'd help to jump on a few other boards (recommended: AK) and see what kind of chatting goes on there! There's some fun and friendly stuff out there folks! And if I was going to base a leaning decision regarding a move to PA on its inhabitants from what I've read so far here... ? I'd be at least considering turning my truck around... or driving right through (except for gas stops).

Gratefully, I'm a bit more inquisitive and curious than to base such a life decision on a chat board. If folks are so crummy to each other there in PA - I'm wondering - what's in the water? Are they being fed foot-in-mouth crud? Or... is it as cold for as long *there* as it is *here*? OR... mercy, somebody take those folks out for the night - and I'm not talkin' about "taking it out"! Lol! I'm actually talking about going out for the night for some f u n !

So let's see ...

What do PA folk do for FUN???
Are there parts of PA that are friendlier than other parts?
Is there a better receptivity to "outsiders" than you treat each other?
Would I have something to "prove" before I'd be accepted if I moved to PA?
If I cheer for the "wrong" team/s, is someone going to slice my tires?
And if so, would *anyone* be there to give me some roadside assistance? (Besides AAA - which, btw, I never leave home without.)

Are their "safe" places for newcomers to meet ppl? I mean... are the most welcoming places Amish and Mennonite farm stores? Church groups? All-night diners? Flea markets? Folk dances? Lol.

Help me out here folks... show me the friendly side of PA!
Or... I'm gonna have this one and all you guys... "outside!" Lol.
Rate this post positively

Old 02-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post

Maybe it'd help to jump on a few other boards (recommended: AK) and see what kind of chatting goes on there!
For example... See AK's Thread: "Would you eat your buddies in a Blizzard?" GREAT stuff, folks!

Maybe you folks could being a spoof on it... I even have a title for you!
"PA: Would you **beat** your buddies in a blizzard???"

Or how about this:
"PA: Would you **heat** your buddies in a blizzard?" (That one's a *little* friendlier.... unless you're thinking in terms of gas cans and paper matches!) HA!

Or... "PA: Ha - Would you **repeat** your buddies... in a blizzard?" (I'm guesing you would! Lol. Years and years and years down the road! LOL!)

Would you *cleat* your buddies - hey, we've got the whole alphabet, folks!
I dunno - maybe it's just a PA-thing? Like Brotherly kindness v. Sibling Rivalry?

Actually, this thread has been quite entertaining in an odd sort of way.

And a correction on my last line:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustT&Me View Post
Or... I'm gonna have **to take** this one and all you guys... "outside!" Lol.
Okay ... gotta scoot!

(As she's hearing in her head... Mr. Rogers singing (paraphrase), "Won't you be, won't you pleeeeease... ? Please won't you beeeee... my neighbor(s)!" LOL!

Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 AM

Default Thank you, SWB!

Thank you, SWB! I just saw your comment you posted to me. This is only my second night on City-Data, so I'm still learning the technical tips but doing pretty well.

Hm... are the Poconos in NY? I'm a little confused... I know I could go to Googlemaps and find out, but I'm a bit sleepy right now. (But obviously not too sleepy to type my own thoughts - ha!) Just too sleepy to look something up - ha! (Like a child who doesn't want to go to bed at night - ha.)

Anyway... it seems in my travels last summer I saw a range in the U.P. of MI named Poconos? The Porkies? Is that the same? Ha - they sound *very* different! (On the Western part of the U.P. of MI.)

You sound like you'd make a nice neighbor, too. Thank you. But... have you now moved to Scranton? I thought that was in OH? (Maybe it's both?) Ha.

OR are you in NY? OR more than one place?

Is there a way I can send someone a message back who sends me a message on the Rep listing under My Settings? (Besides doing it like this?) I didn't see any reply area from the My Settings page, and I've rec'd quite a few replies since I submitted my first postings last night. (Lol - for my first night, I was really on a roll!) LOL!

Anyway... PA is still pretty in my mind. And that's part of anyone's package when they move to a new place. I'm also considering AK, WA, TX, and the U.P. of MI. Was thinking ME also, but it has a bit more snow than I'm looking for after this long, chilly winter!

Chat back! Ciao.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,356,080 times
Quote:
Why does this honestly surprise you? You apparently haven't been to the Scranton area lately. When I came out of the closet I had my MySpace inbox flooded with nasty comments from several people, including one whose comments about "resurrecting Hitler to finish the job he started" really irked me. Like it or not Americans hate gays. They like it when we compliment their fashion sense, their hair cuts, design their homes, star in their favorite television shows to entertain them, etc., but on a personal level we're second-class citizens. For all of my area's positives, its lone Achilles' Heel of intolerance/hatred/homophobia might eventually be the one thing that forces me to pack my bags and head for a more liberal community. Expect more headline news stories like this to occur as more and more people begin to worship hateful people like Ann Coulter, Rick Santorum, or Mike Huckabee.
Hm. I dunno. My experience in Pittsburgh was COMPLETELY different. I went to a small catholic high school (150 students) and I came out at the very end of my junior year. I got a little grief from the guys in my class for about 48 hours and then they sorta laughed it off and said things like "Gavan, you're the same guy that we've known for 3 years, we're just messing with ya." And that was it. The faculty was EXTREMELY supportive, the rest of the school was supportive, the girls in my class loved me even more than they already did. My parents were completely cool with it and over the years have become even more comfortable with it. My mum was bitterly disappointed when I broke up with my last boyfriend, my parents liked him sooooo much. My parents were close to my boyfriend of 2 years than they are with my brother's wife!! LOL. Oh-well. Oh this is shocking, too, my dad used to even talk about Jason to his friends and how great Jason was and how glad he was that I found him. I think that is some serious wonderfulness.

I had a top-notch experience. Things are changing, no doubt about it whatsoever.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM

JustT&Me you will be better off posting your specific questions as threads outside of this sticky. I suspect a lot of people don't even look at this particular thread because of the drama that sometimes goes on.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:45 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,291,384 times
Quote:
Are their "safe" places for newcomers to meet ppl? I mean... are the most welcoming places Amish and Mennonite farm stores? Church groups? All-night diners? Flea markets? Folk dances? Lol.
Well, I don't think you're going to win friends and influence people if you make uniformed, sarcastic remarks like that. There is not a huge Amish community in Pittsburgh, LOL!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
There is not a huge Amish community in Pittsburgh
Actually make that just about ZERO. I've lived my entire life here and have never seen an Amish person EVER in Pittsburgh. I've seen quite a few while driving out east, though.

You're right, that was sarcastic. I didn't read that. I wonder if a lot of people have an impression that Pittsburgh is like "Amish" country. Amish PA is really no where near Pittsburgh.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:48 PM

141 posts, read 657,202 times
Actually, you will see the Amish from time to time in Oakland- they bring their children to Children's Hosp if it's needed...

Old 02-29-2008, 08:28 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,291,384 times
I think the closest Amish are in Lawrence Co., near New Castle. I have seen Amish in the grocery stores in Chippewa Twp in way western Beaver CO, also an Amish family in a Burger King in Chippewa (were driven by a non-Amish).

Old 02-29-2008, 09:24 PM

2,236 posts, read 6,732,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghtebbie View Post
Actually, you will see the Amish from time to time in Oakland- they bring their children to Children's Hosp if it's needed...
I've seen that too. I used to get treated at Children's, and I used to work there too and it just amazed me how many Amish there were there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh