U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2008, 09:25 PM

13,527 posts, read 22,155,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
Actually make that just about ZERO. I've lived my entire life here and have never seen an Amish person EVER in Pittsburgh. I've seen quite a few while driving out east, though.

You're right, that was sarcastic. I didn't read that. I wonder if a lot of people have an impression that Pittsburgh is like "Amish" country. Amish PA is really no where near Pittsburgh.
Small population of Amish and Mennonites in Sharon PA. (some Old Order Mennonites dress colorfully like Amish, and the women wear the net caps)

I am so hungry, and all this Amish talk is making me want scrapple.... fried scrapple.....
Rate this post positively

Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM

141 posts, read 664,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

I am so hungry, and all this Amish talk is making me want scrapple.... fried scrapple.....

LOL, now THAT is the only food I DONT miss from Philly!!!

Old 03-01-2008, 08:57 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,390,339 times
Quote:
LOL, now THAT is the only food I DONT miss from Philly!!!
Does anyone even TRULY know what's in it????? lol.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:00 PM

141 posts, read 664,543 times
We always used to say it was just Lips and A$$e$....

Old 03-02-2008, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Does anyone even TRULY know what's in it????? lol.
I know what's in it! It's basically German polenta, made with pork broth made from the parts of the pig that weren't edible. Before it firmed up too much you added the little bits of pork that were too small to do much with. You slice it and pan fry it in a little butter and serve with maple syrup.

In my mom's time they called it pawn hoss...

This reminds of the last time we talked food and I brought up creamed lettuce. The horror that is creamed lettuce is what chased Hopes off the board...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The horror that is creamed lettuce is what chased Hopes off the board...
You are kidding, right? Does anyone really know what happened to Hopes?

So tell me Tallysmom (I'm afraid to ask), what exactly is creamed lettuce? I DO know my grandpap used to eat mountain oysters, that wasn't very pleasant, either. *shiver*

Old 03-02-2008, 11:20 AM

Quote:
You are kidding, right? Does anyone really know what happened to Hopes?

So tell me Tallysmom (I'm afraid to ask), what exactly is creamed lettuce? I DO know my grandpap used to eat mountain oysters, that wasn't very pleasant, either. *shiver*
I am kidding -- I think she got tired of being attacked for her views during the urban/suburban fights Stagger caused.

In the Amish/Mennonite community you eat the big meals with seven sweets and seven sours. Cuisine of the Pennsylvania Dutch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of those old handed down recipes in our family is creamed lettuce. I was actually wrong on it being iceberg -- my mother says she makes it with leaf lettuce. Not Romaine -- you need a mild lettuce for this. You tear some lettuce and add some finely chopped onion. Then top with a dressing of mayonnaise, evaporated milk to thin, cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. It's a sweet and sour. You put that in a jar and shake it up to dissolve the sugar, and pour over the lettuce. You probably could use regular milk but my mom also used canned milk in her mashed potatoes. (no garlic, no pepper -- just potatoes, butter, salt and canned milk. If you adulterate the potatos you can't use the leftovers for potato candy)

It's a family favorite, and my mom has to make it for all the big meals -- Christmas, Easter Thanksgiving. I don't mind it, but it can get oniony for my taste -- I don't like onions at all.

Oh -- and potato candy? That's from Daddy's side -- you take a small amount of leftover mashed potato, mix it with a lot of confectioner's sugar to make a dough (when you add sugar to potato it liquifies so you end up using a pound of sugar to 2 tablespoons of potato), roll it out, and spread it with peanut butter. Roll it up into a log, slice it thinly, let it set. Eat -- it's bonecrushingly sweet... but it's SO melt in your mouth good.

Old 03-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Interesting!! None of that sounds strange to me!! My mother makes German wilted lettuce salad which I am in love with.

You slice bacon (as finely or as large as you like), green onions, and sometimes radishes or whatever else you may like to fry up. You fry it up and then add vinegar and sugar to the grease.

You heat it all up and then pour it over greens while hot and it has a delicious sweet and sour taste and sorta "wilts" the lettuce on contact from the heat. I love Oktoberfest!!

Old 03-02-2008, 02:41 PM

314 posts, read 788,318 times
Default Back

The gal from La named Jinxd is back. Sorry to just bail on you guys but I had a series of unfortunate events that was really discouraging and couldn't bear the thought of publicly giving up my Pennsylvanian dreams. New events have transpired that now give me the courage to begin my quest again. It is, surprisingly, refreshing to see the familiar names again and I look to forward to mixed advice and endearing arguements

Old 03-02-2008, 02:43 PM

Welcome back jinxd!! I hope everything quickly turns back on track for you!! I've been saving a shot glass with your name on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh