U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2008, 03:07 PM

314 posts, read 788,452 times

Advertisements

Thank ya, sweetie. I have determined that, although I rarely drink much here, that I shall become a Scotch drinker there as well as a soup afficianado in order to keep meself warm:P
I was also wondering, I am a bartender and trainer at Longhorn Steakhouse while I am in school. I work the dayshift here and make enough to not warrant looking elsewhere. I am looking to get a transfer up there but need to know how the Longhorn in Homestead does. Does it stay pretty busy? And how are tippers in Pittsburgh. In my experience, blue collar and trade workers tend to be some of the best tippers and it seems PGH has no shortages in that department so I hope I well do pretty well.
I was reading about the waterfront and it seems pretty cool but is there parking for Longhorn or will I have to search the way I had to in the French Quarter here. that was a pain in the booty. As usual, thanks for ya'll's help!
Rate this post positively

Old 03-02-2008, 03:23 PM

2,902 posts, read 9,392,635 times
Jinxd, from my experience, the Longhorn in the Waterfront indeed stays busy. There is PLENTY of parking, all free. You may want to consider the one at Pittsburgh Mills, too, it's also busy. Again, plenty of free parking.

I am personally a generous tipper, I'm not sure about the region as a whole. lol.

There are also Longhorn's in Robinson and Cranberry. I imagine they all do pretty good business. Pittsburgher's go out to eat A LOT.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks a bundle. I guess it will all kinda depend on which area of town we settle in and who has an opening that works with my schedule. I can't believe you guys have 4 in the area. We have the 1st one this far west. I ma sure they have a manifest destiny because they were just bought out by Darden the company that owns Olive garden etc Anywho, I am sure if I don't gel with the company there, tehre will be plenty o'places for a charming southern girl to sling drinks for a dollar
Mr Pittsburgh, do you know the story with the Sauer buildings in Aspinwall. I just came across some pics of them on Flickr and they are simply amazing! Are they rentals? In any case, I cannot wait to check them out.

Old 03-02-2008, 04:46 PM

I've never heard of them to be honest. Can you send me the Flickr link?

Old 03-02-2008, 06:18 PM

Sauer Buildings HDR, Aspinwall, PA on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I read a bit about their history but I can't find anything about their current use.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM

632 posts, read 1,614,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxd_13 View Post
Sauer Buildings HDR, Aspinwall, PA on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I read a bit about their history but I can't find anything about their current use.
After looking at the photos, I realized that I have actually been inside one of the buildings associated with this complex (at least I'm assuming it's the same place - how many fantasy Germanic-type places are there in Aspinwall?)

A friend of mine lived there for a year. The whole place is broken out into a series of little apartments, each one unique. Their place was very old world European looking, with small rooms, low ceilings, plaster walls, dark heavy wood beams across the ceilings, etc. Not modern American aesthetics at all, but very cool in it's own way and quite unusual even for Pittsburgh. The property itself has all kinds of strange things on it, like little hidden gnome houses and huge old gnarled trees. It was a weird but neat little fantasy land sort of place.

I'm trying to remember what my friend told me about the place, but it just isn't really coming to me right now. I think maybe he said that the original builder came over from Germany and deliberately designed the place to look like traditional German living spaces?

My friend and his wife loved living there, but apparently the owner was totally irresponsible and was letting the place fall into ruin, so they had to eventually (reluctantly) move.

On Edit: I found this website with a Google search that tells a lot more about it: Sauer Buildings Historic District, Aspinwall Borough, Allegheny County, PA 15215. This is definitely the place my friend lived in - I think he actually lived in the "chicken coop" part - it didn't look anything like a chicken coop though.

Last edited by subdivisions; 03-02-2008 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added information

Old 03-02-2008, 08:44 PM

76 posts, read 251,856 times
Wink NYStyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSTYLE View Post
I will do that with the IDIOTS.
Sheesh!
I just came back to this thread after a few months away.
Could someone please turn a (cold) hose on these folks? Do they have nothing better to post about?
I'm a member of several volunteer groups. When you get angry at other posters for their self-absorbed rantings, PM me. We'll (at least) go out and pick up trash in poor neighborhoods and feel better about Pittsburgh and ourselves.
You can help with websites, member lists, phone trees, grant writing or food banks.
Self-absorption is SO not Pittsburgh!

Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 PM

She's not a member anymore. haha.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:03 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,934,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chautauquast View Post
Sheesh!
I just came back to this thread after a few months away.
And while you were gone, there was a terrific (in the true sense of the word) troll infestation, of which the poster you referred to was one. It was awful. Read up-thread a little for some edification, check out some other threads, especially closed ones, if you have time. Some people got angry and left, some disabled their DMs b/c they were getting nasty ones, etc, etc. It has gotten to the point that I am suspicious of every new poster. DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

Old 03-03-2008, 06:35 PM

12 posts, read 45,778 times
I saw a show on WQED titled "Houses Around Here" that I think featured that house--Sauer buildings in Aspinwall. Even if it didn't it showed some really neat Pittsburgh houses. I tried to find a link for you but I was unable.

Last edited by OkOk; 03-03-2008 at 07:22 PM.. Reason: clarification
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh