U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2008, 05:49 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,263,345 times

Advertisements

Don't mean to change the subject so abruptly, but maybe this forum needs an official weather thread like some of the other city/state forums have (see Illinois, Colorado Front Range for examples).
Rate this post positively

Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 PM

13,247 posts, read 21,851,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't mean to change the subject so abruptly, but maybe this forum needs an official weather thread like some of the other city/state forums have (see Illinois, Colorado Front Range for examples).
Can you imagine the fighting that would go on in THAT thread?

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the cloudiness of my day here.... I keep praying for more rain, but we're getting close to the end of rainy season. Soon it will back to California Dead. The color of dead weeds, dead grass, dead dead... blah.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Can you imagine the fighting that would go on in THAT thread?

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the cloudiness of my day here.... I keep praying for more rain, but we're getting close to the end of rainy season. Soon it will back to California Dead. The color of dead weeds, dead grass, dead dead... blah.
LOL! But it might keep the fighting to the one thread!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliegt View Post
I am just like you and I fell in love with Pittsburgh immediately and felt right at home.

My soul would die in a place like Scottsdale too. I have nothing against people who choose that type of city as a place to live, in fact some of my closest friends far prefer brand new suburbs to cities. I don't get it, but they think I'm nuts for liking (in their minds) messy, dirty, dangerous cities...
I decided to post here instead of on the thread this came from, to avoid hijacking that thread, and b/c this is "off-topic" for the thread. I have some problems with the above mentality. If you have "have nothing against people who choose that type of city as a place to live", then how could you "not get it"? At least to the point of understanding your closest friends' choices? Saying your "soul would die" in a place like Scottsdale implies that you do have something against suburbia. I do understand the desires of some to live in the city and I don't think my soul would die there. We have discussed city vs suburb on this forum and on many others I frequent, and it tends to be an agree to disagree situation. But I do have a problem with people who feel the 'burbs are soulless, sterile places. Yes, I know you did not say exactly that juliegt, but that is certainly my interpretation.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:17 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,092,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I decided to post here instead of on the thread this came from, to avoid hijacking that thread, and b/c this is "off-topic" for the thread. I have some problems with the above mentality. If you have "have nothing against people who choose that type of city as a place to live", then how could you "not get it"? At least to the point of understanding your closest friends' choices? Saying your "soul would die" in a place like Scottsdale implies that you do have something against suburbia. I do understand the desires of some to live in the city and I don't think my soul would die there. We have discussed city vs suburb on this forum and on many others I frequent, and it tends to be an agree to disagree situation. But I do have a problem with people who feel the 'burbs are soulless, sterile places. Yes, I know you did not say exactly that juliegt, but that is certainly my interpretation.
Yeah I knew I'd get a response like this. But honestly, I have nothing against other people's choices. I just don't like sprawling suburbs for me. And, yes I do have concerns about their environmental impact. But, I can also see why people choose them. Housing costs tend to be lower. Brand new homes without the headaches of older homes, real closets, new appliances, big bathrooms. Yards, low crime, good school districts. And, some of my very best friends live there. But, really I would go nuts there. I know my friends who live in those suburbs would hate city living - that's why they choose the burbs. The burbs do feel soul-less and sterile to me, but I know it isn't true of the people. My friends who live there are full of soul and interesting and wonderful... I just can't change who I am. The burbs never will be a top choice for me. I lived in a big city for thirty years and feel most at home in cities. Had I grown up in the burbs, I'd probably feel best in the burbs.

Didn't mean to sound like I was putting down other people's choices, just trying to explain why I like what I like.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:29 PM

I guess I feel it's one thing to say "different strokes for different folks", but when one says "I don't get it", that is sort of juddgemental. I wouldn't tell you to move to the burbs, since you don't want to live in any suburb of any city apparently, but you might talk to your friends about the "sterile" and "soulless" part. You might find that burbs can have a "vibe" too.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-27-2008 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: change wording slightly

Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 PM

24,485 posts, read 26,379,314 times
Quote:
Had I grown up in the burbs, I'd probably feel best in the burbs.
I grew up in the burbs, and much prefer city life. I do drive in the city, but when I'm staying with my parents, I'm always amazed at how there's *nothing* to walk to within 2 miles of their house. And even if you wanted to, there aren't any sidewalks to walk on. In my neighborhood people are out on their porches in hot weather, or walking to the T or the shops, and in my parents neighborhood people pull their cars directly into their garages and don't venture out again. That might just be their neighborhood, but even as a kid I knew I didn't want to live like that.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I grew up in the burbs, and much prefer city life. I do drive in the city, but when I'm staying with my parents, I'm always amazed at how there's *nothing* to walk to within 2 miles of their house. And even if you wanted to, there aren't any sidewalks to walk on. In my neighborhood people are out on their porches in hot weather, or walking to the T or the shops, and in my parents neighborhood people pull their cars directly into their garages and don't venture out again. That might just be their neighborhood, but even as a kid I knew I didn't want to live like that.
It depends on the suburb. I know suburbs like you describe, and I know ones like the 'streetcar suburb' I grew up in, and the one where I live now where it is not like that. To be sure, Pgh suburbs generally have no sidewalks, making it hard to walk anywhere if there is much traffic. But such is not the case in every suburb, and in many cities in the midwest and west, there are sidewalks in the burbs, and places to wak to.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:51 PM

632 posts, read 1,609,860 times
Default "Judgemental" is such an ugly word...

Well, I'll admit it. I am judgmental, if by judgmental you mean I've made a subjective judgment about what I do and don't like in housing.

I don't like living in the suburbs, and I do have something against them. I do think they are souless and sterile. And I do feel like my soul would die there.

If you find that statement offensive (and I don't know why you would care about what I think if you are secure in your own opinions), well, sorry, but too bad. That statement is not about you or your feelings. It's about me and my feelings.

Likewise, if you feel that you want to live in the suburbs because you find the city noisy and dirty and crime-ridden and full of icky old houses which need a lot of work, you go right ahead. I won't stop you.

The best thing about life in America is that we all get to make subjective judgments about what is best for us and that other people simply don't get a say about it.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:47 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,911,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
If you find that statement offensive (and I don't know why you would care about what I think if you are secure in your own opinions), well, sorry, but too bad.
that was rude.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh