U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg
632 posts, read 1,611,272 times
Reputation: 314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
that was rude.........
You're right. It was a bit rude. But sometimes people need to hear the truth about something, and it sticks better when it's a little harsh.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 03-27-2008, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,377 posts, read 108,473,877 times
Reputation: 35920
OK, I've been thinking about how I was going to respond to subdivisions' rude post, and now I think I have my answer. I have no more need to be spoken to rudely than anyone else on this board. I am tired of your constant harassment of me. If you want some specifics, I can dig up some old posts. I am also sick of your constant psychoanalysis of me. If I feel I need psychiatric help, I will find someone competent to provide it.

Thanks, London
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 05:14 PM
 
2,039 posts, read 5,917,799 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I've been thinking about how I was going to respond to subdivisions' rude post, and now I think I have my answer. I have no more need to be spoken to rudely than anyone else on this board. I am tired of your constant harassment of me. If you want some specifics, I can dig up some old posts. I am also sick of your constant psychoanalysis of me. If I feel I need psychiatric help, I will find someone competent to provide it.

Thanks, London
Anytime Kat.
You have always been the voice of reason on this forum. And probably one of the very few reasons I continue to return!
Your posts are always objective and loaded with substantial statistics that uphold your arguments.
Even if we disagree sometimes (hardly ever) I still respect your opinions!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg
632 posts, read 1,611,272 times
Reputation: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, I've been thinking about how I was going to respond to subdivisions' rude post, and now I think I have my answer. I have no more need to be spoken to rudely than anyone else on this board. I am tired of your constant harassment of me. If you want some specifics, I can dig up some old posts. I am also sick of your constant psychoanalysis of me. If I feel I need psychiatric help, I will find someone competent to provide it.
Just out of curiosity, aren't you the old poster formerly known as "PittNurse"?

I thought you were going to leave a while back because you were mad about everything on this board. Instead you just changed your name? What's all that about?

If you are "PittNurse", you've been in conflict with 3/4 of the people on this board. I'm hardly the only one who "harrassed" you. Although truthfully I never meant to do that - I just argue for the fun of it sometimes, or because I don't like people making stuff up without the benefit of statistics (like about crime or whatever) - it wasn't about you personally. Anyway, isn't that why you left? I wasn't even around during the time that you decided to leave or change your name or whatever happened, so at least that couldn't have been because of me.

I know you don't want to hear any more psychoanalysis (as you call it), but I might suggest that you consider who is the common element in your negative interactions with all these other people. If you have online conflicts with many people on this board, perhaps the reason isn't so much about them as it is about you.

For instance, I've noticed over the year or so that I've been here that you have a particularly argumentative style and tone to your posts, and a tendency to beat horses until they are not only dead but everyone else has given up on trying to resurrect them entirely. It's like you just can't stand it when someone else has a different opinion than you on ANYTHING, even something completely minor or meaningless or totally subjective. I mean, really, who cares whether someone you don't even know on the internets hates the suburbs or loves Pittsburgh. But this obviously kept you up last night and it bothers you. Why? Why not just shrug and say, "well, to each his own" and be perfectly happy in your suburban house in Denver? Why does it matter so much to you if someone else likes something you don't?

Anyway, these kinds of behaviors are not going to endear you to other internet denizens or ensure that you have positive interactions with others online. (And before you say anything, I hardly feel that I am innocent of those sorts of behaviors myself - it takes one to know one, after all... I'm an argumentative SOB on occasion myself, especially on the internets, land of anonymity, where you can't just be punched in the mouth for being brutally honest!)

So maybe it's not that other people are horrible, or that Pittsburghers suck, or that I or anyone else is "harrassing you". Maybe it's something about the way that you behave in turn that provokes those kinds of interactions. Just a thought.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 05:19 PM
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
90,377 posts, read 108,473,877 times
Reputation: 35920
Thank you, London! I may take a little leave from this forum again. It depends on how nasty it gets, which it often does.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 05:31 PM
 
2,039 posts, read 5,917,799 times
Reputation: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Just out of curiosity, aren't you the old poster formerly known as "PittNurse"?

I thought you were going to leave a while back because you were mad about everything on this board. Instead you just changed your name? What's all that about?

If you are "PittNurse", you've been in conflict with 3/4 of the people on this board. I'm hardly the only one who "harrassed" you. Although truthfully I never meant to do that - I just argue for the fun of it sometimes, or because I don't like people making stuff up without the benefit of statistics (like about crime or whatever) - it wasn't about you personally. Anyway, isn't that why you left? I wasn't even around during the time that you decided to leave or change your name or whatever happened, so at least that couldn't have been because of me.

I know you don't want to hear any more psychoanalysis (as you call it), but I might suggest that you consider who is the common element in your negative interactions with all these other people. If you have online conflicts with many people on this board, perhaps the reason isn't so much about them as it is about you.

For instance, I've noticed over the year or so that I've been here that you have a particularly argumentative style and tone to your posts, and a tendency to beat horses until they are not only dead but everyone else has given up on trying to resurrect them entirely. It's like you just can't stand it when someone else has a different opinion than you on ANYTHING, even something completely minor or meaningless or totally subjective. I mean, really, who cares whether someone you don't even know on the internets hates the suburbs or loves Pittsburgh. But this obviously kept you up last night and it bothers you. Why? Why not just shrug and say, "well, to each his own" and be perfectly happy in your suburban house in Denver? Why does it matter so much to you if someone else likes something you don't?

Anyway, these kinds of behaviors are not going to endear you to other internet denizens or ensure that you have positive interactions with others online. (And before you say anything, I hardly feel that I am innocent of those sorts of behaviors myself - it takes one to know one, after all... I'm an argumentative SOB on occasion myself, especially on the internets, land of anonymity, where you can't just be punched in the mouth for being brutally honest!)

So maybe it's not that other people are horrible, or that Pittsburghers suck, or that I or anyone else is "harrassing you". Maybe it's something about the way that you behave in turn that provokes those kinds of interactions. Just a thought.
WOW. I have to come to Kat's defense here. She is not argumentative. She always has stats to back up everything she says when she is in disagreement with anyone.
I would say that Katiana is one of the most revered and well liked people on this forum.
And another thing, Katiana is hardly negative....... like me!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 05:32 PM
 
2,902 posts, read 9,367,466 times
Reputation: 418
Oh for god's sake.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 06:38 PM
 
13,377 posts, read 21,972,988 times
Reputation: 23534
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Well, I'll admit it. I am judgmental, if by judgmental you mean I've made a subjective judgment about what I do and don't like in housing.

I don't like living in the suburbs, and I do have something against them. I do think they are souless and sterile. And I do feel like my soul would die there.

If you find that statement offensive (and I don't know why you would care about what I think if you are secure in your own opinions), well, sorry, but too bad. That statement is not about you or your feelings. It's about me and my feelings.

Likewise, if you feel that you want to live in the suburbs because you find the city noisy and dirty and crime-ridden and full of icky old houses which need a lot of work, you go right ahead. I won't stop you.

The best thing about life in America is that we all get to make subjective judgments about what is best for us and that other people simply don't get a say about it.
If I may offer an opinion -- I think a lot of us are seeing the world in a very black and white vision when it comes to this city v. suburbs thing. But there is plenty of gray.

I grew up in Cranberry Township, the mother ship of all that's bad about suburbia. But when I grew up there it wasn't like that at all. (Oh dear Lord, there she goes again rhapsodising about the Cranberry that was... will this never end!!?? -- the answer is NO. )

When I say the word suburbs, in my mind I am picturing what other people would very probably call rural. I grew up on two acres of ground, next to a one acre lot with a house, next to a four acre lot "ranchette" and they had horses. I used to feed the nice brown horsey carrots. (Probably where I got horse fever from -- I'm 48 and still have it!)

When you say suburbs, I'm betting you're thinking of endless housing developments with the fancy names and the winding streets named for all the things the development took away, where all the houses look alike except the door colors... like in Poltergeist -- Vista Del Verde Vista Del Playa... or more sinister -- like in Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time planet Camazotz, where all the children bounced there balls in unison as all the Daddies left for work -- an EXCELLENT book by the way, even if it is for young adults. Should be required reading for everyone.

I wouldn't want to live in a development, so I don't -- but I know lots of people that do and they love it. It's not soul-less. It moves to a different beat.

I just know myself. If I ever lived in a place that had an HOA, I'd do everything in my power to make them crazy, because *I* think HOA's are horrible.

But HOA's exist because there really are some people that simply can't abide (I'm gonna rib somebody here!!) an old rusty plow in the front yard as decoration. Or a toilet used a planter! (That's for you London!) My old property manager said he would hate living in between a purple house and an orange house -- (which is my neighborhood!)

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Which is why it's stupid we keep fighting about this. That something that's really no different than food preferences is making us all crazy.

My husband doesn't like onions and they make me sick.... come on -- are those really fightin' words?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 07:00 PM
 
Location: Saint Petersburg
632 posts, read 1,611,272 times
Reputation: 314
Exclamation How Can Anyone Hate Onions!!!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

My husband doesn't like onions and they make me sick.... come on -- are those really fightin' words?
Tallysmom, the fact that you don't like onions upsets me greatly! I just can't live another day knowing how terribly judgmental about onions you are. So I simply must post something to let you know that I am MORTALLY OFFENDED by your anti-onion stance! I know that you just haven't eaten the right kind of onions because if you had, you'd know that your onion opinion is completely and totally wrong, wrong, wrong!

Ok, just kidding.

I love onions myself, but it's ok with me if you don't like them. Mmmm! More onions for me!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 PM
 
487 posts, read 1,276,254 times
Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
that was rude.........
For what it's worth, I didn't find subdivisions' post rude at all.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top