U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM

13,095 posts, read 21,736,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
Tallysmom, the fact that you don't like onions upsets me greatly! I just can't live another day knowing how terribly judgmental about onions you are. So I simply must post something to let you know that I am MORTALLY OFFENDED by your anti-onion stance! I know that you just haven't eaten the right kind of onions because if you had, you'd know that your onion opinion is completely and totally wrong, wrong, wrong!

Ok, just kidding.

I love onions myself, but it's ok with me if you don't like them. Mmmm! More onions for me!
See -- that's the sad part -- I like onions... but they make me sick. I miss onion rings.... but the goodness just isn't worth puking for three days.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-27-2008, 09:13 PM

89,967 posts, read 107,984,011 times
OK, I'll come out of the closet. I am the former Pittnurse70. Please note I changed my name "legally". I was tired of being stalked, and I also wanted to get away from the nursey image. My DMs are only open to a select few. For a while I disabled them entirely, b/c I, too, was getting those nasty DMs. The funny thing is, the person on the Pittsburgh forum who figured out who I was is: the troll. No one else seemed to get it. Someone on the Denver forum figured it out and I "came out" there a while ago. That's all I have to say about this.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:14 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,345,791 times
I got it from DAY ONE from your post and rep number.

But I respected your identity.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:17 AM

803 posts, read 2,762,599 times
"Can't we al just get along"???

--Rodney King

Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 AM

89,967 posts, read 107,984,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I got it from DAY ONE from your post and rep number.

But I respected your identity.
Thanks, guylocke. I sort of figured you knew.

What I find interesting is that when subdivisions didn't know I was the person she disliked so much, she didn't answer with her usual scathing sarcasm and insults. I reported her post where she excoriated me at length over 12 hrs ago, and nothing has happened, which says the mods feel it is acceptable for her to talk to me this way. For the record, I do not stay up at night worrying about City-Data, as she has ridiculed me for doing. I do not "beat a dead horse" as she accused me of. In the last exchange with BrianTH, he was the one who wouldn't give up when I said the row houses were built for the steelworkers. Everything I posted, he responded "Yes, but". I could see it could go on that way for a long time, so I quit. Go look for yourselves. And I would remind everyone, it takes two to argue. I'm not going to go on and post responses to arguments that someone else has given up on. Someone has to respond to keep it going.

If I didn't care about these issues, I wouldn't be on this board. I'd find a different hobby. And I think subdivisions knows that. She certainly has no shortage of opinions which she is at the ready to share.

When I woke up this morning, I did think about this. Of all the forums I participate in on City-Data, Pittsburgh is the only one where people who have never lived there come off as experts, telling people who lived there for years what it's all about. On all the other forums, such as Colorado/Denver, the newbies ask the questions. Obviously, I am not referring to subdivisions here, nor to By~Tor, but several others who think they have the "Holy Grail" reagarding Pittsburgh. There are many we haven't heard from since they supposedly moved to Pittsburgh.

I'd like to put to rest the notion that I hate Pittsburgh, too. And for about the tenth time, I don't know why I have to justify what I'm doing here. There are several of us who are from Pittsburgh/used to live there than post on this forum, and I am the only one who gets asked "why are you here?", or told "You must get some psychological benefit from coming here" and crap like that.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:46 AM

632 posts, read 1,608,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What I find interesting is that when subdivisions didn't know I was the person she disliked so much, she didn't answer with her usual scathing sarcasm and insults.
Actually, I figured it out some time ago. Your posting style and some of the things you mentioned in your posts gave it away fairly easily. This just happened to be the first time we had a conflict since you changed your name. I keep saying this, but you don't believe it - it's never been about you personally.

By the way, perhaps the mods feel, as I do, that aggressively challenging someone's opinion is not the same thing as "harrassing them" or "insulting them" or "being mean" or whatever. I would be very surprised if they ever reacted to the kind of posts that upset you in the way you would like them to.

This is all just simply a part of internet life. The (falsely) polite veneer and backing down in the face of any opposition that you find in face-to-face conversation in real life, especially between women, just doesn't happen as often here. It's not "insulting", it's just a different social norm.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
See -- that's the sad part -- I like onions... but they make me sick. I miss onion rings.... but the goodness just isn't worth puking for three days.
I actually understand. I discovered last summer that I have an intolerance to high fructose corn syrup, which unfortunately is in EVERYTHING. I had to get rid of half the stuff in my kitchen cabinets, and now I have to read labels obsessively.

What's really sad, though, is that I really love an ice cold Coke on occasion, but if I drink one I am sick the entire day afterwards. Sometimes I do it anyway and just take the consequences of my actions.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM

2,039 posts, read 5,906,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks, guylocke. I sort of figured you knew.

What I find interesting is that when subdivisions didn't know I was the person she disliked so much, she didn't answer with her usual scathing sarcasm and insults. I reported her post where she excoriated me at length over 12 hrs ago, and nothing has happened, which says the mods feel it is acceptable for her to talk to me this way. For the record, I do not stay up at night worrying about City-Data, as she has ridiculed me for doing. I do not "beat a dead horse" as she accused me of. In the last exchange with BrianTH, he was the one who wouldn't give up when I said the row houses were built for the steelworkers. Everything I posted, he responded "Yes, but". I could see it could go on that way for a long time, so I quit. Go look for yourselves. And I would remind everyone, it takes two to argue. I'm not going to go on and post responses to arguments that someone else has given up on. Someone has to respond to keep it going.

If I didn't care about these issues, I wouldn't be on this board. I'd find a different hobby. And I think subdivisions knows that. She certainly has no shortage of opinions which she is at the ready to share.

When I woke up this morning, I did think about this. Of all the forums I participate in on City-Data, Pittsburgh is the only one where people who have never lived there come off as experts, telling people who lived there for years what it's all about. On all the other forums, such as Colorado/Denver, the newbies ask the questions. Obviously, I am not referring to subdivisions here, nor to By~Tor, but several others who think they have the "Holy Grail" regarding Pittsburgh. There are many we haven't heard from since they supposedly moved to Pittsburgh.

I'd like to put to rest the notion that I hate Pittsburgh, too. And for about the tenth time, I don't know why I have to justify what I'm doing here. There are several of us who are from Pittsburgh/used to live there than post on this forum, and I am the only one who gets asked "why are you here?", or told "You must get some psychological benefit from coming here" and crap like that.
The thing that gets me is, if you disagree with anyone on just about any subject, one person starts in on you and then their friends join in. It's strange. At one point recently, I had SWB following me to the Phoenix forum saying things that were obviously directed at me. Lucky for me though, people chased him away. Katiana has that happen to her all the time, why is that???

On the Phoenix forum, everyone there knows I absolutely HATE the extreme heat and I am really discouraged with the school systems there. But I don't get jumped on like I do here when I voice a disagreement. We even have one guy that comes on and talks trash about Phoenix all the time; but as we've gotten to know him, we actually LIKE his discussions! We all agree to disagree and it leads to some wonderfully lively conversations where we all learn something in the end.

Forums are places where people of different backgrounds/lifestyles/likes/dislikes join together to discuss things. Just because someone doesn't like something, doesn't mean they are a horrible person because they have disagreed with you.

And I know I'm not well liked on the Pittsburgh forum because I said I'm not 100% supportive for the gay lifestyle. (But if you got to know me, you'd understand why, and it's only a few certain types, which I won't get into here) But yes, I DO have several gay friends, two my best friends are lesbians! My dance partner I had for years was gay, I ADORE him! But the point is, I shouldn't have to explain myself in such great detail because I disagree about something. However, I will admit that it is easier for me to accept my gay women friends than men, but I won't even go into why on line. Perhaps if we ever met, then I could tell you in person. But I don't keep my identity a secret online so I'm not going to go telling things that may implicate others.

But this being a place where people don't really know you, and can't read your expressions on your face or hear the inflections in your voice, people naturally assume the worst in you.

I'm not a mean person, far from that. I'm the nutty, funny, happy -go-lucky person that loves everyone. My friends (yes even the gay ones) are constantly being hugged and kissed by me. If anything, I am an overly affectionate person. Always have been and always will be.

On the Phoenix forums I to go (I go to 2) we actually have lunches where we all get to meet. That way, when someone says something, people can imagine how that person would have said it and it seems to have helped. I can be sarcastic as all hell, but I'm scared to death to do so here. People always take it the wrong way - me included.
And who ever said that unless you love Pittsburgh and live there 12 months out of the year, you are not allowed to post and if you do, your statements are not valid? Guylocke, when you move to Seattle (if you do) are you going to stop checking in on this forum? I certainly wouldn't thing that you should have to leave. It's like a soap opera, people, can't help but watch!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:26 AM

803 posts, read 2,762,599 times
"Seattle"?......

Whoa, boy..... there goes the neighborhood...................

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
The thing that gets me is, if you disagree with anyone on just about any subject, one person starts in on you and then their friends join in. It's strange.
But didn't you just do this very thing in the other thread when a couple of people said that they didn't like Scottsdale? You got really upset about it, defended Scottsdale vociferously against its detractors (in a sarcastic way, even), and then your friend jumped in to defend you.

I can totally understand the desire to defend something you think is being attacked wrongly. It does happen all the time here. It's a natural reaction, it really is.

But it's amazingly funny to me that you keep going on about how awful that behavior is when you just did the same thing yesterday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh