U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 AM

2,039 posts, read 5,915,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
But didn't you just do this very thing in the other thread when a couple of people said that they didn't like Scottsdale? You got really upset about it, defended Scottsdale vociferously against its detractors (in a sarcastic way, even), and then your friend jumped in to defend you.

I can totally understand the desire to defend something you think is being attacked wrongly. It does happen all the time here. It's a natural reaction, it really is.

But it's amazingly funny to me that you keep going on about how awful that behavior is when you just did the same thing yesterday!
I jumped in Subdivisions, not because they were making fun of Scottsdale, but because they were directing their comments at ME. It is common knowledge that I live in Scottsdale most for the year and it was not just a coincidence that they chose Scottsdale as their example. I was defending myself as much if not more so than Scottsdale.
Rate this post positively

Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM

2,902 posts, read 9,359,772 times
Quote:
Guylocke, when you move to Seattle (if you do) are you going to stop checking in on this forum? I certainly wouldn't thing that you should have to leave. It's like a soap opera, people, can't help but watch!
I am definitely going. My position is secured! I am flying back out next month to talk to my supervisor and meet with my real estate agent.

I doubt I would stop posting on Pittsburgh. I still think I can be helpful with lots of knowledge. Plus, I've made friends and like familiar names, including you London.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:25 PM

20,273 posts, read 29,880,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In the last exchange with BrianTH, he was the one who wouldn't give up when I said the row houses were built for the steelworkers. Everything I posted, he responded "Yes, but". I could see it could go on that way for a long time, so I quit.
Not that it matters, but for the record, I never claimed that the rowhouses in places like the South Side were not built for steelworkers. In general, I am fine with you not wanting to continue that conversation, but I might suggest being a little cautious about representing my side of it to others.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:39 PM

2,039 posts, read 5,915,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guylocke View Post
I am definitely going. My position is secured! I am flying back out next month to talk to my supervisor and meet with my real estate agent.

I doubt I would stop posting on Pittsburgh. I still think I can be helpful with lots of knowledge. Plus, I've made friends and like familiar names, including you London.
Thanks Guylocke. I lived in Seattle during the time Nirvana was just hitting the local music scene. It's a very interesting place. Good luck to you. With your positive attitude I am sure you will be fine no matter where you end up!

Old 03-28-2008, 02:19 PM

90,377 posts, read 108,377,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Not that it matters, but for the record, I never claimed that the rowhouses in places like the South Side were not built for steelworkers. In general, I am fine with you not wanting to continue that conversation, but I might suggest being a little cautious about representing my side of it to others.
Well, I apologize for speaking rather hastily, but everything I posted to support that was refuted by you. The point I was trying to make is that I am hardly the only argumentative person on this board.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Well, I apologize for speaking rather hastily, but everything I posted to support that was refuted by you.
Again, I am fine with either continuing that conversation or halting it, but I believe you are misrepresenting what I said in that conversation. Briefly, the conversation was about who built the homes, not for whom the homes were built, and indeed I never disputed that these homes were built for steelworkers to live in. Rather, I was pointing out that the steel companies themselves only started building homes for their workers (as they did in Aliquippa) in a slightly later era, whereas the rowhouses in the South Side were mainly built by third parties.

Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that I am hardly the only argumentative person on this board.
That is certainly true, and I wouldn't object if someone wanted to call me argumentative as well. Of course, all of us should strive to argue in a civil and respectful fashion.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:27 PM

632 posts, read 1,610,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
I jumped in Subdivisions, not because they were making fun of Scottsdale, but because they were directing their comments at ME. It is common knowledge that I live in Scottsdale most for the year and it was not just a coincidence that they chose Scottsdale as their example. I was defending myself as much if not more so than Scottsdale.
I chose Scottsdale as a counter-example because someone brought it up earlier in the thread and because I happen to be familiar with the place, not because YOU the user LondonBarcelona in specific lives there and might be personally offended if someone said they didn't like it. Although I can understand why you might be sensitive about that sort of thing given some of your prior experiences here, the truth is that conversations aren't always all about you or targeting you on purpose or deliberately constructed to get your attention.

By the way, I did not appreciate the nasty PM you sent me this morning, which was probably quite similar in content and tone to ones you have received from other people in the past and been deeply unhappy about. If you didn't like that sort of behavior when it was directed towards you, why would you pass it on to someone else?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Again, I am fine with either continuing that conversation or halting it, but I believe you are misrepresenting what I said in that conversation. Briefly, the conversation was about who built the homes, not for whom the homes were built, and indeed I never disputed that these homes were built for steelworkers to live in. Rather, I was pointing out that the steel companies themselves only started building homes for their workers (as they did in Aliquippa) in a slightly later era, whereas the rowhouses in the South Side were mainly built by third parties.

That is certainly true, and I wouldn't object if someone wanted to call me argumentative as well. Of course, all of us should strive to argue in a civil and respectful fashion.
Agreed, that is what you said. I already apologized. I was typing up that response before I went to work this morning, and I somewhat misspoke. Again, here is my apology:
Quote:
Well, I apologize for speaking rather hastily, but everything I posted to support that was refuted by you. The point I was trying to make is that I am hardly the only argumentative person on this board.
I only used this as an example because subdivisions stated regarding me:
Quote:
For instance, I've noticed over the year or so that I've been here that you have a particularly argumentative style and tone to your posts, and a tendency to beat horses until they are not only dead but everyone else has given up on trying to resurrect them entirely.
I certainly do not feel that was the case with the conversation you and I were having, and in fact, I gave it up first, because I know it gets boring for the others when two people are monopolozing a thread. I meant no offense to you, my particular beef was this contention that I will argue until (or after) the "last dog is dead" so to speak.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Agreed, that is what you said. I already apologized.
Fair enough, and I appreciate the apology.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:36 PM

You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh