Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2008, 05:53 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times

Advertisements

Hey, someone gave this post of mine positive rep:
Quote:
Hi

We moved from Los Angeles over the summer and really really love it here. Our kids are happier than they have ever been, the schools are great and they love the freedom they have here. They love being able to walk out the front door and find kids to play with. And we love the friendly people on our street and the beautiful trees and the fact that we have a great house that didn't cost a million dollars. We are even enjoying the snow!
I'm so glad to hear that morefromcali! Out of curiosity, would you be okay with telling us where you moved to exactly?
Quote:
Pittsburgh is adding more and more jobs and the majority of them are higher paying. Construction is on the rise -- again. Not too shabby, you know?
Unfortunately, Pittsburgh isn't adding more and more jobs, we in terms of job growth, we are still below the national average. However, like has been discussed in the past, the job sectors that ARE growing are high-paying and lucrative, and that is significant. Like you said, a lot of placse in the country can claim booming job growth, but what is the quality of that job growth? It's often not as bright as you'd think.
Quote:
Thankfully Pittsburgh real estate never got sucked up in that crap a coupld of years ago. It's extraordinaily stable. I think that says a lot for the continuing strength of city.
It is stable. It's been affected of course, but it is considered one of the most stable housing markets in the entire country. The "crap a couple years ago" is still very much alive, and I think getting worse, still. Maybe Tallysmom can interject? I just read an article about 15 minutes ago on msnbc.com about the forclosure rate in the country. Detroit was hit the hardest, but right under Detroit's nose are many cities in California, Las Vegas, and Denver. The "booming" cities are in for some major hard times, I think we may all be quite surprised at what situations will be like in a few years. Pittsburgh could really look good to skeptics.
But in the comment, they talked about how I must really not like them and that they "give up" on giving me props.

I have NO clue whatsoever what this person is talking about. If they read this post, could they please send me a direct message explaining what they meant? There is on one on this board that I dislike. Apparently some of my posts (I'm assuming this is the case) are offending someone and that someone is taking them personally???

I'd like to clear this up if at all possible.

Thanks!

Old 02-14-2008, 05:57 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,906 times
yep, pittsburgh really knows how to take care of its roads and sidewalks during the winter.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
OK, carolinacracker has livened up the forum a bit with his (re)appearance. I personally find him entertaining.

This forum has a lot of different "types" (for lack of a better word) posting. Life-long Pittsburghers, transplants, and former Pittsburghers, for example. Why is it then, that only the former residents who are not Pittsburgh cheerleaders have their psychological status questioned, their motives impugned, and get snarky comments thrown at them like "why aren't you at the beach instead of on City-Data"?

Those that post on other city/state boards know that there are these types of posters on the other boards as well. In most cases, the above doesn't happen. The Seattle board is full of people who regularly make negative comments about the city. So is Denver/Colorado. People do not go giving negative rep for statements like "the city doesn't do well with plowing the roads" (true), or "I don't like the snow" (said by a lot of the Californians). There is disagreement. And there is the occasional comment "If you don't like it, go back to (Texas, California, Illinois, etc)", but overall the tone is respectful. I just don't get it. What's different about this board that people can't give an honest opinion without getting slammed?

Old 02-16-2008, 06:30 PM

80 posts, read 277,603 times
hey....c'mon guys....answer my thread !

Old 02-16-2008, 06:46 PM

632 posts, read 1,740,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
OK, carolinacracker has livened up the forum a bit with his (re)appearance. I personally find him entertaining.

This forum has a lot of different "types" (for lack of a better word) posting. Life-long Pittsburghers, transplants, and former Pittsburghers, for example. Why is it then, that only the former residents who are not Pittsburgh cheerleaders have their psychological status questioned, their motives impugned, and get snarky comments thrown at them like "why aren't you at the beach instead of on City-Data"?

Although it may appear on the surface that this particular poster's motives are being questioned etc because he has an alternative viewpoint, in fact it is the way he has expressed that alternative viewpoint in the past that has gotten him banned. He has quite the history with this site, much of it quite unpretty.

For instance, he once threatened another poster (not me) with physical retribution over a difference of ideas. He also spent weeks at one point trolling the board under a variety of different names, each of which was successively banned, simply to harrass posters he didn't like (again, not me). That's just a small sampling.

It's not just a simple matter in this case of someone's viewpoint not fitting in, or a "misunderstanding". Nobody's unfairly picking on ChinenJim - he has made himself very unwelcome via his own actions in the past.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 AM

19 posts, read 19,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subdivisions View Post
For instance, he once threatened another poster (not me) with physical retribution over a difference of ideas. He also spent weeks at one point trolling the board under a variety of different names, each of which was successively banned, simply to harrass posters he didn't like (again, not me). That's just a small sampling.
Come on. I never threatened anyone, and you know that. I'm sure if I would have, the administrators would have contacted the police and I would've had a knock at my door. You're making me out to be a whacked-out bully, which I'm not. All I've ever done on this board is express my opinion. I've been attacked for that, but instead of getting all bent outta shape I usually have a little fun with whoever attacked me. So sue me for having a sense of humor.

I'm sure city-data keeps some kind of log of EVERY post. And I'm more than sure they've got all the old Chinenjim posts on file somewhere. So if I threatened anyone, I'm sure it could be either proven or disproven.

You make me out to be some sort of psycho who's obsessed with this forum. That's funny considering the fact that you're the one who's always online. I might have made a few hundred posts here...You've made thousands. Who's the obsessive one?

I've also tried time and time again to bury the hatchet with you and the small number of other users who hate me. But it's been to no avail. Again, if your memory is cloudy, try and see if city-data can dig up all of my deleted posts. You'll see I'm telling the truth.

Your obtuse, rigid mindset is EXACTLY what turns a lot of people off about Pittsburgh. Think about it. Again, I'm offering you an olive branch and a truce. Just as I've done time and time before. Subdivisions, not everyone in the world thinks alike. People argue. People have different opinions. And people have different ways of expressing themselves. If you'd stop attacking everyone who doesn't think like you, maybe you'd learn something.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:19 AM

19 posts, read 19,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJeepers View Post
Why are you here posting flames, and then trying to act like the better man? How old are you. You seem to be about 17.
You're trolling. And I'm 30 years old.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
And I'm 30 years old.
This just became considerably sadder....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:02 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinacracker View Post
Come on. I never threatened anyone, and you know that. I'm sure if I would have, the administrators would have contacted the police and I would've had a knock at my door. You're making me out to be a whacked-out bully, which I'm not. All I've ever done on this board is express my opinion. I've been attacked for that, but instead of getting all bent outta shape I usually have a little fun with whoever attacked me. So sue me for having a sense of humor.

I'm sure city-data keeps some kind of log of EVERY post. And I'm more than sure they've got all the old Chinenjim posts on file somewhere. So if I threatened anyone, I'm sure it could be either proven or disproven.

You make me out to be some sort of psycho who's obsessed with this forum. That's funny considering the fact that you're the one who's always online. I might have made a few hundred posts here...You've made thousands. Who's the obsessive one?

I've also tried time and time again to bury the hatchet with you and the small number of other users who hate me. But it's been to no avail. Again, if your memory is cloudy, try and see if city-data can dig up all of my deleted posts. You'll see I'm telling the truth.

Your obtuse, rigid mindset is EXACTLY what turns a lot of people off about Pittsburgh. Think about it. Again, I'm offering you an olive branch and a truce. Just as I've done time and time before. Subdivisions, not everyone in the world thinks alike. People argue. People have different opinions. And people have different ways of expressing themselves. If you'd stop attacking everyone who doesn't think like you, maybe you'd learn something.
Don't worry about it. Opinions should be allowed as long as they are not directed AT one person.

Look at what happened to me... Geez, All I said was that I wasn't impressed with the strip district and I got a slew of mean messages telling me I should rot in hell and that I live in a trailer and that I am a total a-hole.

Then after I explained that I was merely expressing an opinion and that I've tried very hard to keep a stiff upper lip about things I disliked about the area because I am trying to find "something" positive about the place I have to live in soon, (because keeping a positive attitude is the only thing that helps me through the days since my son died tragically,) I was told they were glad he's dead!

Yeah, I'm pretty freaked.....

Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Look at what happened to me... Geez, All I said was that I wasn't impressed with the strip district and I got a slew of mean messages telling me I should rot in hell and that I live in a trailer and that I am a total a-hole.

Then after I explained that I was merely expressing an opinion and that I've tried very hard to keep a stiff upper lip about things I disliked about the area because I am trying to find "something" positive about the place I have to live in soon, (because keeping a positive attitude is the only thing that helps me through the days since my son died tragically,) I was told they were glad he's dead!
You should report those direct messages, London. They are shameful. I am actually embarrassed for those people. Surely they aren't the regular posters who are on here daily?? Whoever they are, I wish they'd send me a personal message just so I knew.

You don't like the strip so people are happy that your son is dead?? That is SURELY grounds for removal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh