Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2013, 01:18 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times

Advertisements

Has anyone looked at the plans being offered? You can get plan details here without inputting any self-identifying information: ValuePenguin | Insuring Your Decisions With Data

The deductibles and out-of-pocket maximums for all but the Platinum Tier are shockingly high. I have been quite happy with my current Highmark plan, which meets all AHCA requirements. It is a shame that they are can canceling it as of 2015 and forcing me into the exchange. Hopefully, some better options present themselves between now and 2015.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2013, 01:37 PM

366 posts, read 944,699 times
I haven't done a lot of research, but it sounds like the states that set up their own exchanges are getting much better rates than those that are managed federally (like PA). Good luck.

Old 11-23-2013, 03:34 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeesport_alum View Post
I haven't done a lot of research, but it sounds like the states that set up their own exchanges are getting much better rates than those that are managed federally (like PA). Good luck.

Do you think this means that the state governments are more efficient than the federal government?

Or that it is just the particular state governments who have undertaken this task?

Considering that state governments who have elected to do this task are still under the supervision of offices in Washington, I would think that it would cut out one layer of bureaucracy just to have the federal government do it, and that would be more efficient.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 AM

8 posts, read 9,467 times
State Exchanges have performed well (with a few exceptions). Although enrollment is down for both state and federal-run Exchanges, the extra Open Enrollment time should help.

One important thing that many consumers may not realize...You do not have to compare plans and enroll through the federal website. Between glitches and security concerns, many consumers go directly to broker websites.

Why?

Because rates are exactly the same, you can apply direct, get expert advice or use the help of an experienced broker (in Pa -www.pahealthinsurancecoverage.com is one of the best options). Given the choice of speaking to a navigator with weeks of experience or a customer-service rep with limited training at the .gov website, or an experienced broker with perhaps decades of experience...Well...You know the answer!

Also, "off-Exchange" plans are not found on the .gov website and a navigator is prohibited from discussing them. They are ideal if you do not qualify for the subsidy.

OK. Sorry for the rant. Obviously, I am a bit biased! Ed

Old 11-24-2013, 01:29 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,694,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OQuotes View Post
State Exchanges have performed well (with a few exceptions). Although enrollment is down for both state and federal-run Exchanges, the extra Open Enrollment time should help.

One important thing that many consumers may not realize...You do not have to compare plans and enroll through the federal website. Between glitches and security concerns, many consumers go directly to broker websites.

Why?

Because rates are exactly the same, you can apply direct, get expert advice or use the help of an experienced broker (in Pa -www.pahealthinsurancecoverage.com is one of the best options). Given the choice of speaking to a navigator with weeks of experience or a customer-service rep with limited training at the .gov website, or an experienced broker with perhaps decades of experience...Well...You know the answer!

Also, "off-Exchange" plans are not found on the .gov website and a navigator is prohibited from discussing them. They are ideal if you do not qualify for the subsidy.

OK. Sorry for the rant. Obviously, I am a bit biased! Ed
That is a good point. When the time comes, I can apply for a new plan directly with Highmark. However, those who qualify for subsidies or cost savings must use the government website.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
My husband's company recently underwent a merger. The new health insurance won't have any in-network providers in our area. On the surface, it appears to meet the minimum requirements since it covers 70% for out of network. Not sure because I do think it has limits that don't meet the minimum requirements. I'm sort of sick that we might have to go to the exchange because our income isn't going to allow for an affordable premium. Our solution is simple: My husband will find a new job with better healthcare in the Spring.

Old 03-30-2014, 07:43 AM

8 posts, read 9,467 times
Just a few days left! In the Philly area, IBX (Keystone) continues to offer great rates. And Highmark is still competitive in most areas. Their purchase of NE BC will just add to their market share.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:38 AM

632 posts, read 854,054 times
I know some techies who have done work on exchange sites for other states.
Let's just say Senator Baucus was right....it's a train wreck.
It's gonna be back to the drawing board with this IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh