Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 PM

8 posts, read 10,208 times

Advertisements

i have pictures of both before and after i moved out of a trailer. now the land lord is trying to sue me for damage and other things. can i beat it or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 08:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Depends on your before and after pictures. If they are in your favor, yes you can beat it.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 PM

i did work on the place while i was there so its in better condition then when i moved in

Old 05-22-2014, 08:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
You'll beat it. Pictures are very valuable in landlord/tenant disputes.

I tell everyone to take before pictures. So few people bother.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:48 PM

ok can i counter sue for harassment since she unlawfully evicted us in three days?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:06 PM

Harassment is a criminal charge, not a civil one.

What's your lease say about notice? I'm not sure what sort of recourse you have for not receiving proper eviction notice. You're already out of the trailer, right? How did she evict you with only 3 days notice without going through the court? Did she literally put your stuff outside?

I'm thinking you can only go after any financial losses that resulted from the improperly done eviction (if it was not done within the laws----like fees to put your stuff in storage, etc. But I'm not 100% certain about that, but if I incurred financial loss from something like that, I'd file a counter lawsuit and bring all my receipts to court with the pictures and whatever proof you have that you didn't receive proper notice. I'd view this as an "it can't hurt to try" scenario for myself.

Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM

i didnt have a lease we are already out of trailer and i did have to put all my stuff in storage. she came to the trailer with a man treating my fiancee who is on probation. that she was going to start trouble with the probation officer. and she threatened to make me lose my job. and told us she was changing the locks in three days time. after the second day she came in when our keys were there and locked all the doors and turned on all the lights and left them on all week. while the electric was still in my name. she also turned on the furnace and left it on running the tank out of propane.

Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 PM

Even without a lease, you have a right to notice by law. There are procedures she should have followed. Landlords can't evict tenants without going to court even tenants who don't have leases.

Do you have proof you were evicted? Emails? Letters? Notice on your door? I'd guess your storage unit could be considered proof of sorts if you don't have any other proof.

I'd try to get reimbursed for storage, extra electricity and the propane. You probably won't get anything for the electricity since you could have taken your name off of that the day you moved. The propane will be difficult to prove but why not give it a try.

You have to focus on your monetary losses. Her threats are only useful to explaining why you didn't legally try to secure your rights by refusing to move until you received proper notice.

Here's the best advice I can give you. Contact Neighborhood Legal Services. They handle these types of cases for low income people.

Neighborhood Legal Services Association

928 Penn Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15222
(412) 255-6700

Old 05-23-2014, 08:39 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevah92 View Post
ok can i counter sue for harassment since she unlawfully evicted us in three days?
3 days? I have a feeling we aren't hearing both sides of this story. Something is going on. Money? Damage? Landlords don't throw out "good" tenants for no reason at all. There must be something more, but I am sure we won't hear from the other side of this story.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
3 days? I have a feeling we aren't hearing both sides of this story. Something is going on. Money? Damage? Landlords don't throw out "good" tenants for no reason at all. There must be something more, but I am sure we won't hear from the other side of this story.
I'm sure there is another side to the story, but the landlord is still required by law to give proper notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh