Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 12:39 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Seconded. Penn Ave is absolute gem.

Have you had a salad there? I have never been, but I might be swayed away from the salad if I went there. Sushi and fish in general are really some of my favorite foods. Thanks for the recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Have you had a salad there? I have never been, but I might be swayed away from the salad if I went there. Sushi and fish in general are really some of my favorite foods. Thanks for the recommendation.
salads, soups, sandwiches, sushi - I go there often and have had nothing disappointing. For the price I think they're an absolute steal as the quality of ingredients is very high.

But beware, I really like Piccolo Forno pizzas - we may have diametrically opposite opinions on food

Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
I made the salads at Max and Erma's for 10 years. They have a great selection of salads and most of them don't come with fries. And the two that do you can just tell them to leave them off. Yes it is a chain but the food there really is pretty good and very fresh. The lettuce is hand chopped every day. Not pre-chopped bagged stuff like a lot of places have.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:02 PM

510 posts, read 905,659 times
I like the salads at Social because you can choose your own (not at a salad bar, but on a menu sheet). You pick the lettuce, protein, vegetables, and extras. They also have some great dressings. Everything tastes fresh to me.
They do have several TVs, though, which I think is an h_curtis "don't".
I actually don't think I have seen fries on a salad anywhere even though I know that is supposed to be a Pittsburgh thing. I must be hanging out in the right/wrong places.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Ouch. Looking at the reviews Social gets, I think I will pass. Sounds like a glorified sports bar, which I think we have more than enough of in Pittsburgh. Sadly, a place like Social will probably last and be successful, because soup from a can with a big TV in front of you is excellent in the Burgh. Sounds overpriced to boot.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
I made the salads at Max and Erma's for 10 years. They have a great selection of salads and most of them don't come with fries. And the two that do you can just tell them to leave them off. Yes it is a chain but the food there really is pretty good and very fresh. The lettuce is hand chopped every day. Not pre-chopped bagged stuff like a lot of places have.
Well, it is possible the chains are better for big salads. Nice to know they aren't just opening some bag and serving it to the customers. There is one in RIDC even and I have never been. Thanks. I just assumed it was another sports bar filled with TVs.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
You can build your own salad at Hello Bistro (location in Oakland, Southside & (soon) Downtown); not haute cuisine by any means but their salad options are extensive enough to meet whatever option you're looking for.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You can build your own salad at Hello Bistro (location in Oakland, Southside & (soon) Downtown); not haute cuisine by any means but their salad options are extensive enough to meet whatever option you're looking for.
Yeah, it doesn't have to be a high class joint, just have a good salad as a meal. Seems that place would fit the bill. Never heard of it. Seems to get pretty good reviews and they certainly specialize in salads. Thanks.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:26 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Yeah, it doesn't have to be a high class joint, just have a good salad as a meal. Seems that place would fit the bill. Never heard of it. Seems to get pretty good reviews and they certainly specialize in salads. Thanks.
Hello Bistro is part of Eat'n Park.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Hello Bistro is part of Eat'n Park.
Yea, it's one of their concept restuarants like six penn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh