Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh has tons of independent restaurants offering a wide variety of cuisines, and we have them affordable and high-end. I would add hiking in the highlands and along the riverfront trails, water-skiing, jet skiing, and snow skiing to low impact sports. Plus tennis, rowing (have you seen the expansion of the boat houses on the rivers?), and cycling. We have more movie theaters than ever, and some very good small independent movie houses and screening rooms in Oakland, Regent Square, Downtown, and South Side. As for performing arts, there is something to do every night if you wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 05:58 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,639 times
I think the problem with this survey is that it only takes into account the ratio of businesses with 5+ employees per 100,000 residents. So sure there are a lot of shops. But most of them are walmarts and kmarts. And food? Where is there a real Chinese restaurant (not takeout)? Where are the Jean-Georges or Le Bernadin's of Pittsburgh? The restaurants up on Mount Washington wouldn't even rate one star in the Michelin guide.

I would rate Pittsburgh higher in culture and entertainment though. Excellent museum for a city of this size, good zoo, unique neighboorhoods, outdoor life, etc. But I realize this is not how their ratings work.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
I just got around to reading the whole article. While there are certainly areas "reasonable" people may disagree about, I cannot fathom how this bunch ranked 24 cities, including Pittsburgh, ahead of Denver in a category composed of "Skiing facilities; fitness and recreational sports centers". What do they think is going on here? We have umpteen major ski areas in this state with world class skiing. Most are within a two hour drive of Denver. The city of Denver used to own the Winter Park ski area. There are rec centers, fitness clubs, YMCAs and the like every few miles. More than I have ever seen in Pittsburgh. Boston was ranked #1 in this category, Sacramento, CA #2, and NYC #3. Salt Lake City was only ranked #4, and that is where the Winter Olympics were last held (we went). Boston and NYC are far from any world class skiing, and Sacrameto is off the radar!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Sure, Primanti's, Mad Mex, Sharp Edge, and Eat n' Park are chains, but at least they're *local* chains. There are tons of independent restaurants in Pittsburgh--you can go for weeks without eating in a national chain if you don't want to. (I rarely do.)

And with Pittsburgh Filmmakers (which holds the Three Rivers Film Festival) and theaters like the Oaks, I can see how PGH rates highly in entertainment, as well.
I believe Eat 'n Park is a part of Big Boy. Just different names in different places.

Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM

2,902 posts, read 10,070,295 times
Quote:
I believe Eat 'n Park is a part of Big Boy. Just different names in different places.
No, they only have a presence in Western PA and some parts of Ohio ad W. Virginia. They are owned by the Eat'n Park Hospitality Group which is headquartered in the Waterfront. My friends that are now located all over the country have me send them Eat'n Park smiley cookies like umpteen times a year.

It'll nickel and dime ya, I swear!

Old 12-10-2007, 05:12 PM

11 posts, read 31,252 times
ok, cool it. Nothing uglier than another Big Boy / Eat 'n Park fight

Old 12-10-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
ok, cool it. Nothing uglier than another Big Boy / Eat 'n Park fight
I don't even know what a "Big Boy" is. I'm just saying, they aren't the same company. LOL.

Old 12-10-2007, 05:52 PM

6 posts, read 21,700 times
I love Pittsburgh, but how did it rank higher than NYC, Chicago, and LA for shopping?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:07 PM

The same way it ranks higher than Denver for skiing!

Old 12-10-2007, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I love Pittsburgh, but how did it rank higher than NYC, Chicago, and LA for shopping?
This would be my take on it. I'm sure if you email them they will tell you (maybe). NYC, a place I visit often is a shopping mecca. However, they don't rank it based on WHAT shops exist. For example, there is NOTHING to do outside of Manhattan in terms of shopping. All umpteen million people who live in NYC have to travel to VERY specific spots to do that AMAZING shopping.

The ranked it based upon RETAIL ESTABLISHMENT. There is a big difference.
Quote:
The same way it ranks higher than Denver for skiing!
Skiing wasn't the only criteria for high-impact sports. We also have skiing here, you know. I'm sure it pales in comparison to what Colorado has, but we aren't void of the sport. Ask them, that, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh