Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 08:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,099,940 times

Advertisements

My hunch ( and i'm sure many others, it's not really a stretch to make that assumption in these cases) regarding bullying is starting to emerge as a possible motive. Of course the school will minimize any reports of bullying because they will want to appear ignorant if it was indeed happening and nothing was being done about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 11:18 AM

2,094 posts, read 1,924,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
If anyone read the long article in today's Post-Gazette Murrysville: Once near-perfect, now shaken, resilient - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, there are a few paragraphs that caught my attention because the following statements were made with no further comment by the reporter. There is no other mention of bullying in the article.
Ya that bothered me too. I have a 4 year old and one of the reasons we moved here was to get into a good school district..... but this sounds messed up. Isn't this a huge red flag?

Old 04-14-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Wasn't that creepy?

I picture them at school tomorrow, deciding who they want to play them in the inevitable made-for-tv movie. And the newsers and newsettes are even worse. One station even created "theme music." I was expecting a "Misery in Murrysville" bumper.
That whole Captain America thing to me was very creepy. The selfie shot was stupid too. You just want to smack that look off the kids face. I'm starting to wonder about this district......

Old 04-14-2014, 11:58 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Ya that bothered me too. I have a 4 year old and one of the reasons we moved here was to get into a good school district..... but this sounds messed up. Isn't this a huge red flag?
"Good school district" information is always concerned with test scores, advanced academic program availability, art program availability, demographics, and stuff like that. Horrific bullying happens everywhere, and middle and upper middle class kids can be masters of psychological warfare, as much as any other kid can be. Anyone from a "good" school telling one that bullying doesn't happen there is likely a bully themselves, a parent to a bully, or someone actively involved in suppressing victims of bullying. Nastiness is everywhere, and social media makes it worse.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
"Good school district" information is always concerned with test scores, advanced academic program availability, art program availability, demographics, and stuff like that. Horrific bullying happens everywhere, and middle and upper middle class kids can be masters of psychological warfare, as much as any other kid can be. Anyone from a "good" school telling one that bullying doesn't happen there is likely a bully themselves, a parent to a bully, or someone actively involved in suppressing victims of bullying. Nastiness is everywhere, and social media makes it worse.
Al of this I understand. I just seem to hear and read about it more here, but maybe that's because I live here. When I hear multiple people quoted in a paper that its just a way of life at FR, that bothers me.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:36 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
Al of this I understand. I just seem to hear and read about it more here, but maybe that's because I live here. When I hear multiple people quoted in a paper that its just a way of life at FR, that bothers me.
I'm sure it bothers most people. It does happen everywhere. The student I know whose classmate told to go kill herself was attending a small Catholic school. There are plenty of news stories of similar bullying all over the country. The 24/7 social media bullying is definitely more damaging than anything we experienced as children. There's more reporting on it because of awareness and also there's more concrete evidence of bullying via facebook that didn't exist as proof in the past.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:42 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I'm sure it bothers most people. It does happen everywhere. The student I know whose classmate told to go kill herself was attending a small Catholic school. There are plenty of news stories of similar bullying all over the country. The 24/7 social media bullying is definitely more damaging than anything we experienced as children. There's more reporting on it because of awareness and also there's more concrete evidence of bullying via facebook that didn't exist as proof in the past.
All of that and the fact that the tide is turning a little bit on bullying, especially verbal bullying, being an actual bad thing. Attitudes of "suck it up" and "it's a part of life, get used to it" used to be even more pervasive than they are now (though those attitudes are still too common).

Within a handful of hours of the stabbing, someone (maybe more than one person) from FR rushed to the Pittsburgh subreddit to say that Hribal wasn't bullied. It just screamed suppression of the real story to me.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:51 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowmint View Post
It just screamed suppression of the real story to me.
That was obvious to me the first day when the school district said they weren't aware of bullying, and the police department said they were investigating bullying as a matter of routine and the didn't believe bullying was a factor. That screamed cover up to me. Now that this parent says he provided proof that the attacker was bullied to the police the very day of the attack, it's hard to not suspect a cover up.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:04 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That was obvious to me the first day when the school district said they weren't aware of bullying, and the police department said they were investigating bullying as a matter of routine and the didn't believe bullying was a factor. That screamed cover up to me. Now that this parent says he provided proof that the attacker was bullied to the police the very day of the attack, it's hard to not suspect a cover up.
Franklingate.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:38 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

I don't buy into the idea that "jocks have the biggest bullies among them." I think this is a stereotype from movies and television shows. I sub in different schools and coach, and my children all played various sports. I don't see or hear the bullying that is talked about.
Well you see, I'm not saying it's the case for you, but I know when I was in HS the parents and coaches never thought there was a problem with their athlete children either.

Don't get me wrong, some of the "best" people in my high school were high-profile athletes. But some of the lowest of the low were "jocks" too, and no adult ever saw or heard (or wanted to hear) about that either.

I knew some people that taught for a while in the Steubenville school district. I heard all about how respectful and full of "good kids" their football program was (at least until several months ago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh