Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 05:48 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Thank you for the peer reviewed studies. I will read them later. To clarify, I was distinguishing between "crimes" and "violent crimes." I would be shocked if ADHD (diagnosed or otherwise) were strongly correlated with the latter, but I'll keep an open mind and read what they have to say. Thanks again for the links.

As far as "recipes for failure go," I still don't think undisgnosed ADHD, can even compare to undisgnosed bipolar disorder, borderline personality disorder, schizophrenia, etc. (not that it's a contest, but still, some disorders are more severe than others).

Don't get me wrong, as someone who continues to need (somewhere between mild and moderate amounts of) medication into his 20s, I know ADHD can be tough. I wish you and your son the best of luck.
Thank you. I do agree there are huge differences between a personality disorder and ADHD or depression. My point was to those calling for immediate extermination of offenders no matter the reason for their crimes. Comparatively easy fixes like cognitive therapy or medicine can literally make a world of difference for people. I wish our legal system would explore more scientific and medical methods to rehabilitate criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 06:14 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Thank you. I do agree there are huge differences between a personality disorder and ADHD or depression. My point was to those calling for immediate extermination of offenders no matter the reason for their crimes. Comparatively easy fixes like cognitive therapy or medicine can literally make a world of difference for people. I wish our legal system would explore more scientific and medical methods to rehabilitate criminals.
I agree completely. If this person is, indeed, legally insane, he needs to be in civil confinement, not jail. Too many people conflate "not guilty by reason of insanity" with acquittal.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Regardless of choice of weapon this should be yet another wake up call that we need to get to the root of these problems & intervene these mental headcases before they injure others.
While I agree that mental health services should be improved, for everyone, everything professional I have read about mental health and violence says that violence cannot be predicted in advance. The main risk factor in committing violence is a past history of violence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'd hesitate to say anything hard and fast about this case, given we know noting about the perpetrator.

But I think both sides here are a bit right. Take Columbine as an example. Eric Harris seems to have been a textbook case sadistic psychopath, and was thus unreformable even if he had survived the shootings. Dylan Klebold, in contrast, seems to have been a fairly normal depressive kid who fell under Harris's wing and was convinced to engage in the school shooting as an elaborate suicide. There's no reason from what we know about him that in a different set of circumstances he couldn't have been redeemed and had a normal life.

Ultimately, it's not about the actions, it's about the neurochemistry. Some people do awful things, but at the core are capable of being decent human beings. Other people are, well, monsters.
I'm not so sure I'd let Dylan Klebold off that easy, but there's no doubt in my mind that Eric Harris was a psychopath. They managed to fool their couserlors, too.
CNN - Columbine killers on tape - April 27, 1999

Old 04-09-2014, 07:38 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,131,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I agree completely. If this person is, indeed, legally insane, he needs to be in civil confinement, not jail. Too many people conflate "not guilty by reason of insanity" with acquittal.
If that kid thought things were bad he'll soon realize that he has really screwed up his life.

Old 04-09-2014, 08:24 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That is a matter of subjective opinion. In any case, I hold myself to a higher standard than you apparently do for yourself.
I would hope most people do. Wow is all I can say when I read his crap.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:11 PM

2,094 posts, read 1,925,699 times
From what I hear, and I live in Murrysville, the kid was on the autistic spectrum and was bullied constantly.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:25 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
From what I hear, and I live in Murrysville, the kid was on the autistic spectrum and was bullied constantly.
When I first saw his picture, my heart sort of broke for him. He looks like a child who was bullied.

Everyone says he was shy, quiet, kept to himself, never caused any trouble, very nice kid, etc.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:41 PM

Many articles are indicating he made death threats last night on the internet.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
No excuse for what this kid did. He handled his anger in the worst possible way.

With that said, when are we going to wake up and realize that our chances of getting shot or stabbed are nil if we don't bully anybody?

Time for a sing-along to a current rock hit:

Old 04-09-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No excuse for what this kid did. He handled his anger in the worst possible way.
I'm not making excuses. I'm able to have sympathy for everyone involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh