Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:02 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,446,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Pittsburgh metro is definitely behind the times, but the suburbs are in many ways 25-30 years stuck in the past as far as mindset and attitude. I don't think you mentioned whether or not you are married/partnered or single. If you are single, especially being in your 40s without kids, the city is your only best bet. In certain city neighborhoods, you will find more single, middle-aged childless professional women like you and thrive. Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Highland Park, etc. Forget the suburbs. You may end up a social outcast there. They are the stereotypical soccer mom/Leave it to Beaver communities. Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 05:17 PM

9 posts, read 7,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
My first thought as well. Should be easy enough to find a place there in the OPs price range, short drive for the shopping requirements, easy T commute to Downtown.
But the OP explicitly stated she wants to live in Pittsburgh. If she would expand that to include nearby boroughs and townships there WOULD be a lot more to chose from.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:27 PM

18,717 posts, read 30,964,234 times
The OP is from out of state. People from out of state often say "Pittsburgh" when what they really mean is they are interested in the entire metro area. Just like people in Pittsburgh who are moving to Culver City, CA will talk about moving to Los Angeles.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:40 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
The OP is from out of state. People from out of state often say "Pittsburgh" when what they really mean is they are interested in the entire metro area. Just like people in Pittsburgh who are moving to Culver City, CA will talk about moving to Los Angeles.
Good points. Before I moved here, I wasn't sure which places were Pittsburgh city neighborhoods and which were separate boroughs. Heck, I've been here a year and I'm still not sure!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 AM

632 posts, read 848,607 times
That is very confusing as lots of independent boroughs have a Pittsburgh 152XX zip code.
There is no rhyme nor reason as to which are really in the city and which are not. And a few
are split between the city and one of more suburbs.

I recall working for an out-of-state company and speaking with lady in our home office payroll dept.
about this. She was trying to figure out local taxes for our Pittsburgh employees. At the end of that
conversation I thought she was going to cry.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,622,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
That is very confusing as lots of independent boroughs have a Pittsburgh 152XX zip code.
There is no rhyme nor reason as to which are really in the city and which are not. And a few
are split between the city and one of more suburbs.

I recall working for an out-of-state company and speaking with lady in our home office payroll dept.
about this. She was trying to figure out local taxes for our Pittsburgh employees. At the end of that
conversation I thought she was going to cry.
Poor lady!

Old 04-15-2014, 11:52 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,483,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Pittsburgh metro is definitely behind the times, but the suburbs are in many ways 25-30 years stuck in the past as far as mindset and attitude. I don't think you mentioned whether or not you are married/partnered or single. If you are single, especially being in your 40s without kids, the city is your only best bet. In certain city neighborhoods, you will find more single, middle-aged childless professional women like you and thrive. Squirrel Hill, Shadyside, Highland Park, etc. Forget the suburbs. You may end up a social outcast there. They are the stereotypical soccer mom/Leave it to Beaver communities. Hope this helps
Soccer moms do not live in apartment communities in the burbs. They live in single family houses in the burbs.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:44 AM

8 posts, read 13,838 times
Wexford, look into Hickory Hills apts./townhomes...lived there in 2011, moving back to same this June.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,611,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yes, you are correct. I am looking at the metro area, not necessarily Pittsburgh proper.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:35 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,611,474 times
Since I last posted, I had a chance to visit some of the areas that were mentioned here. I went to Sewickley, Franklin Park, and Wexford. Although I saw the kind of housing I'm seeking in Franklin Park and Wexford, both seemed a bit too far out of the city. (I'm not certain that this is true, because I might not have taken the shortest or most efficient routes. I just know that I put 50 miles on my car driving from Sewickley to Franklin Park to Wexford to South Hills.) I thought Sewickley was charming and I liked the "Main St." (can't remember the actual name) area, but I saw only older, single-family homes there. I'm going to check out a few of the city neighborhoods this weekend. Fortunately, I don't need a place immediately, so I really want to take my time and find the right fit. Someone I know mentioned Uptown. What can you tell me about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh