Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 02:33 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Um View Post
Yes, of course we have had our problems with racism and segregation in the North; however, we've moved past those problems, and we should be proud of that. Instead of incessantly bringing up the conflicts of the past, let's be proud of the fact that we've moved forward, that we've become a colorblind society.
How the hell have we "moved past" racial problems? You just made a post in the Homewood thread talking about how rough that neighborhood is; the underlying racism of the U.S. economic and judicial systems hasn't gone anywhere, and pretending that we live in a "colorblind society" when something as abhorrent as The War on Drugs is going on is ridiculous and not at all constructive.

Quote:
And, by the way, there never was any racial violence toward African Americans here. In the South, black lynching was common in the early 20th century. That wasn't so in the North.
Lynching wasn't common, but Black tenements in cities like Chicago and Philadelphia and Newark were as bad as any shot-gun shack in Mississippi. Just read about Martin Luther King's campaign to desegregate Chicago's "Bungalow Belt" and then tell me the North has situated itself on some grand moral high-ground when it comes to race relations.

Sorry to the original poster for getting so riled up over this; I'm not even a southerner, I just hate the arrogance behind the "oh, racism was a problem but not anymore, and it was always worse in the South" line of thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2014, 03:10 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,882,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
How the hell have we "moved past" racial problems? You just made a post in the Homewood thread talking about how rough that neighborhood is; the underlying racism of the U.S. economic and judicial systems hasn't gone anywhere, and pretending that we live in a "colorblind society" when something as abhorrent as The War on Drugs is going on is ridiculous and not at all constructive.
Not that I agree with what you've just said but you're referring to a US problem when the OP asked about Pittsburgh problems.

Last edited by UKyank; 04-12-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Yes, of course we have had our problems with racism and segregation in the North; however, we've moved past those problems, and we should be proud of that. Instead of incessantly bringing up the conflicts of the past, let's be proud of the fact that we've moved forward, that we've become a colorblind society.
Oh, please. We don't even have the sort of ethnic "blindness" of which you boast on this forum, let alone in Pittsburgh in general.

We have a regular poster who opines from time to time on the "aggressiveness" of the typical resident of Squirrel Hill. Another guy posts expert, incisive, psycho- and sociological generalities on black people, old people, yinzers, straights (he's gay), people who live in the suburbs--all between food deliveries at his "day" job.

There was even a guy a few months back who posted that the solution to all our problems was to ship all blacks, or just poor blacks -- or was it all poor people? -- to some island where we would never have to look at them, thus preserving our sense of collective moral rectitude. The funny thing about that guy, who, ironically, had the word "minister" or "priest" in his screenname, was that he had just moved here from another part of the country. Even though he knew dick-all about Pittsburgh, he was just overflowing with suggestions for how we should better our Pittsburgh selves and our Pittsburgh lives. He seems to have disappeared, however. Probably ran his mouth in real life in front of the wrong group of people.

EDIT: How peculiar. I just found this post by you, today in another thread:

Quote:
Homewood is the kind of place you live in if you absolutely cannot afford to live anywhere else. By merely residing there, one sets him/herself up to be a crime statistic. Since I've been here, I've made an effort to visit every Pittsburgh neighborhood, and thus far, I've visited around 75%. Of all the neighborhoods I've seen, Homewood is the absolute worst.

As for the young lady with her art project, her heart is in the right place, but her mind isn't. Teaching those kids art is certainly commendable, but is it worth it if she ends up losing her life due to living in that neighborhood? I just hope she doesn't wind up like the Wolfe Sisters.
"Ethnic blindness" indeed.

Last edited by jay5835; 04-12-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
oh, please. We don't even have the sort of ethnic "blindness" of which you boast on this forum, let alone in pittsburgh in general.

We have a regular poster who opines from time to time on the "aggressiveness" of the typical resident of squirrel hill. Another guy posts expert, incisive, psycho- and sociological generalities on black people, old people, yinzers, straights (he's gay), people who live in the suburbs--all between food deliveries at his "day" job.

There was even a guy a few months back who posted that the solution to all our problems was to ship all blacks, or just poor blacks -- or was it all poor people? -- to some island where we would never have to look at them, thus preserving our sense of collective moral rectitude. The funny thing about that guy, who, ironically, had the word "minister" or "priest" in his screenname, was that he had just moved here from another part of the country. Even though he knew dick-all about pittsburgh, he was just overflowing with suggestions for how we should better our pittsburgh selves and our pittsburgh lives. He seems to have disappeared, however. Probably ran his mouth in real life in front of the wrong group of people.
+1

Old 04-12-2014, 03:17 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:

And, by the way, there never was any racial violence toward African Americans here. In the South, black lynching was common in the early 20th century. That wasn't so in the North.
You're not serious, are you? I'm not sure what Pittsburgh that you live in but it doesn't sound anything like the one that I do.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:20 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,514 times
Quote:
There was even a guy a few months back who posted that the solution to all our problems was to ship all blacks, or just poor blacks -- or was it all poor people? -- to some island where we would never have to look at them, thus preserving our sense of collective moral rectitude.
That comment was the one that caused me to quit this forum for six months. The racism on this board is sometimes more than I can take.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
That comment was the one that caused me to quit this forum for six months. The racism on this board is sometimes more than I can take.
I left for a while, too.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
oh, please. We don't even have the sort of ethnic "blindness" of which you boast on this forum, let alone in pittsburgh in general.

We have a regular poster who opines from time to time on the "aggressiveness" of the typical resident of squirrel hill. Another guy posts expert, incisive, psycho- and sociological generalities on black people, old people, yinzers, straights (he's gay), people who live in the suburbs--all between food deliveries at his "day" job.

There was even a guy a few months back who posted that the solution to all our problems was to ship all blacks, or just poor blacks -- or was it all poor people? -- to some island where we would never have to look at them, thus preserving our sense of collective moral rectitude. The funny thing about that guy, who, ironically, had the word "minister" or "priest" in his screenname, was that he had just moved here from another part of the country. Even though he knew dick-all about pittsburgh, he was just overflowing with suggestions for how we should better our pittsburgh selves and our pittsburgh lives. He seems to have disappeared, however. Probably ran his mouth in real life in front of the wrong group of people.

Edit: How peculiar. I just found this post by you, today in another thread:

"ethnic blindness" indeed.
+2

Old 04-12-2014, 03:39 PM

419 posts, read 551,839 times
Quote:
Oh, please. We don't even have the sort of ethnic "blindness" of which you boast on this forum, let alone in Pittsburgh in general.

We have a regular poster who opines from time to time on the "aggressiveness" of the typical resident of Squirrel Hill. Another guy posts expert, incisive, psycho- and sociological generalities on black people, old people, yinzers, straights (he's gay), people who live in the suburbs--all between food deliveries at his "day" job.

There was even a guy a few months back who posted that the solution to all our problems was to ship all blacks, or just poor blacks -- or was it all poor people? -- to some island where we would never have to look at them, thus preserving our sense of collective moral rectitude. The funny thing about that guy, who, ironically, had the word "minister" or "priest" in his screenname, was that he had just moved here from another part of the country. Even though he knew dick-all about Pittsburgh, he was just overflowing with suggestions for how we should better our Pittsburgh selves and our Pittsburgh lives. He seems to have disappeared, however. Probably ran his mouth in real life in front of the wrong group of people.

EDIT: How peculiar. I just found this post by you, today in another thread:

"Ethnic blindness" indeed.
The King Um = Hip Priest.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:44 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
I left for a while, too.
I took a six month break as well. I believe your referring to scottpriester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh