Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 05:28 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
If they are fairly sure of that, would make the case for a 1000 room hotel for the convention center.
dead business
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 06:31 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
Just curious, did they mention any reasons 2015 will be a huge year for tourism in the area? Are there supposed to be a lot of major conventions visiting then?
No. The interview was short and sweet and did not get into specifics. It was basically a quick update with a few tidbits and then on to the next guest.

Old 04-13-2014, 07:57 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times
They usually do a press release after their annual meeting, which was last week. Here’s the latest info. They mention "a sampling of major conventions, groups and events booked by VisitPITTSBURGH in 2013:
  • Anthrocon's 2016 Annual Convention (6,365 room nights; $6.3 million in estimated direct spending)
  • USA Gymnastics 2014 National Congress & Trade Show and P&G Gymnastics Championships (6,457 room nights; $5 million)
  • The Steelworkers' 2015 USW Joint Safety and Health Conference (5,385 room nights; $2.5 million)
  • Collinson Media & Events' 2015 Connect Marketplace and Connect Sports Marketplace (5,660 room nights; $1.8 million)"
Next week is the National Catholic Education Association which will have 8000 attendees. For future, they also rebooked the National Society of Black Engineers, which was almost 11000 room nights last time they were in town. And they'll host the annual conference of the Barbershop Harmony Society (about 5000 people) in summer 2015.
They promote tourism and that includes tourism for this region and others close by. From their recent report, more Ohioans are visiting : "Volume of visitors tracked from our two targeted markets in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, was up 11 percent and 17 percent, respectively."

Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post

And they'll host the annual conference of the Barbershop Harmony Society (about 5000 people) in summer 2015.

They promote tourism and that includes tourism for this region and others close by. From their recent report, more Ohioans are visiting : "Volume of visitors tracked from our two targeted markets in Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, was up 11 percent and 17 percent, respectively."
I would never have thought the Barbershop Harmony Society had 5000 members. I live and learn.

And with stats like this about OH cities, we really need zman63 back. Hopefully his next idea for a name will be slightly less obvious that Zman63. Even Xboy62 would be an improvement

Old 04-13-2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I would never have thought the Barbershop Harmony Society had 5000 members. I live and learn.

And with stats like this about OH cities, we really need zman63 back. Hopefully his next idea for a name will be slightly less obvious that Zman63. Even Xboy62 would be an improvement
That's 5000 attendees at their convention; I just checked and their membership is 25000 worldwide!

Maybe he'll come back as OhioMan. But the more "trollicious" prefer to use all kinds of less obvious personas.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:07 PM

252 posts, read 348,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
He's banned..
Did I miss something? I know he was a pessimist, but he seemed to have a basis for most of his opinions.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:09 AM

6,357 posts, read 5,050,411 times
i am sorry that zman is banned, if he actually is. i dont recall his ever being anything but honest. not everyone likes everything. i mean, if this were a lady gaga forum, im positive it would be trolled by people that hate her. its in HOW you say it - and i dont think he was malicious.

for the topic - this is great news! there are advantages in being mid-sized.

Old 04-14-2014, 06:49 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Did I miss something? I know he was a pessimist, but he seemed to have a basis for most of his opinions.
Yeah, he actually backed up his opinions with proof when possible (something that not many people do here). But if you dare insult the glorious kingdom you are banished.

Anyway on topic: besides conventions what is the tourist draw here? The incline, Mt. Washington, Strip District, and PNC Park neatly fit into tourist guide books but all the other "cool sh*t" the city has to offer requires a lot of digging. Being a pretty well traveled dude I can safely say that few tourists are willing to go beyond the usual touristy material, so I'm curious.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,822 times
Zman broke the rules many times, he was warned and warned again, he was issued a very specific final warning etc. He decided not to listen and to keep trolling and he got what he wanted.
Now please get back on topic and remember that discussing moderation in public is against the tos. You can always ask me any questions you have in private.
Yac.

Old 04-14-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Anyway on topic: besides conventions what is the tourist draw here? The incline, Mt. Washington, Strip District, and PNC Park neatly fit into tourist guide books but all the other "cool sh*t" the city has to offer requires a lot of digging. Being a pretty well traveled dude I can safely say that few tourists are willing to go beyond the usual touristy material, so I'm curious.
Visit Pittsburgh publishes quarterly "Play" guides that include upcoming events. I believe they distribute them to area venues as well as some outside this area. Their website gets a lot of traffic, even from people in the region. Here's their things to do section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh