Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:14 PM

697 posts, read 778,153 times

Advertisements

In the case of a NJ parent who wired his autistic child when he suspected abuse by the staff, his recording led to the firing of at least two in the teaching staff. I wonder how they were able to use the audio without threat of inappropriate recording. I recall the video the dad made was difficult to watch. Dad wires up autistic son, 10, to expose 'bullying' by teaching staff - U.S. News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 09:27 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
In the case of a NJ parent who wired his autistic child when he suspected abuse by the staff, his recording led to the firing of at least two in the teaching staff. I wonder how they were able to use the audio without threat of inappropriate recording. I recall the video the dad made was difficult to watch. Dad wires up autistic son, 10, to expose 'bullying' by teaching staff - U.S. News
It's sad when NJ is more reasonable. If this doesn't get resolved, I hope the mother appeals the hell out of it.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:10 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
IIRC, NJ is a "one party recording state" (only one party needs to be aware that the recording is taking place), while PA is a two party state (both parties must consent).

I can understand the rationale behind two party recording systems in general, but yeesh, you'd think that prosecutorial discretion would tilt toward common sense on this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's sad when NJ is more reasonable. If this doesn't get resolved, I hope the mother appeals the hell out of it.
NJ laws are more reasonable than ours in quite a few respects. The only eminently unreasonable NJ law I can think of is that you're not allowed to pump your own gas.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
pineapple upside down cake we arrest the victim and assist the criminal in the prosecution

Old 04-15-2014, 02:16 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
One thing is for sure, Pittsburgh is making some serious national news regarding bullying this week.
Sadly, this is true. It's unfair, IMO, but Pittsburgh is indeed being portrayed in an unattractive light because of the irony of these two events being so close together.

Quote:
That's pathetic. The Washington Post picked it up. I'll bet it will be international before the week ends.
It was making the news even down my way (I'm down past Richmond in HR area).

Old 04-15-2014, 06:07 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,661,869 times
Default Legal experts question prosecuting South Fayette student for recording bullies

A South Fayette High School student convicted of disorderly conduct for attempting to record his bullies shouldn't have been prosecuted, legal experts said on Monday.

Legal experts question prosecuting South Fayette student for recording bullies | TribLIVE

Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
Does anyone know anything about the background of the judge? Someone claimed that her mother was the judge before her, and that she got in on name recognition. I know that it is possible to be a magistrate judge without any legal background at all and I can't help wondering from her incohrent statement if that was the case here.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:18 AM

632 posts, read 853,509 times
Pennsylvania has one of the strictest wiretapping statutes on the books.
You can basically record NO audio on someone without their permission.
Security camera systems have to be mute in order to meet requirements of the law.

No doubt this law was written by our politicians in Harrisburg to protect them
from having their conversations with Mafia bag men recorded.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:42 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Does anyone know anything about the background of the judge? Someone claimed that her mother was the judge before her, and that she got in on name recognition. I know that it is possible to be a magistrate judge without any legal background at all and I can't help wondering from her incohrent statement if that was the case here.
You do have to take a 2 week magistrates course after you're elected in PA, so there's that

Old 04-15-2014, 07:57 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You do have to take a 2 week magistrates course after you're elected in PA, so there's that
The blame rests on the communities that don't take qualifications into consideration. Candidates don't need to be lawyers to have legal experience. Police officers make good magistrates too. To elect just anyone is ridiculous. The upside is magistrate rulings aren't written in stone. The bad ones can be easily overturned by the county court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh