Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I say that b/c we keep hearing about all these millennial moving to Pittsburgh.
Please note that "millennials moving to Pittsburgh" does not equal "total percentage makeup of millennials in Pittsburgh". Not the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:47 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,209,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Please note that "millennials moving to Pittsburgh" does not equal "total percentage makeup of millennials in Pittsburgh". Not the same thing.
Please note that the stats in the slide show are "Percent of Population Age 25 - 34". A lot more are going to have to move there to bring it up even to Boston, New Orleans, or Richmond (all 13%).

Old 04-16-2014, 02:25 PM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,373 times
Please note that I already note that. It still has nothing to do with whether a trend is appearing in PGH or not.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
Please note that I already note that. It still has nothing to do with whether a trend is appearing in PGH or not.
Correct. It was just an observation of mine. I do have an enquiring mind, and I do think those lists are bunk, as I have said many times.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM

618 posts, read 687,683 times
Quote:
Correct. It was just an observation of mine. I do have an enquiring mind, and I do think those lists are bunk, as I have said many times.
So what is your inquiry?

Old 04-16-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
So what is your inquiry?
Why do we see all these posts/threads about all these millennials living in and moving to Pittsburgh? It seems like higher percentages of them live in these other 24 cities.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Why do we see all these posts/threads about all these millennials living in and moving to Pittsburgh? It seems like higher percentages of them live in these other 24 cities.
Pittsburgh skews older, less educated, but that's changing - Pittsburgh Business Times

This might be interesting. It's worth noting that many of these sunbelt/growth cities have been on both a longer growth trajectory and don't have a labor/heavy industrial history with collapse and population exodus along with the vast elderly population that stayed behind for fairly obvious reasons. Taking a city like Boston (13%) seems a much more apt comparison with its industrial past and eds/meds renaissance than a city like Austin or Charlotte. Even then, these percentages are not, I would argue, OMG HUGE.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Pittsburgh skews older, less educated, but that's changing - Pittsburgh Business Times

This might be interesting. It's worth noting that many of these sunbelt/growth cities have been on both a longer growth trajectory and don't have a labor/heavy industrial history with collapse and population exodus along with the vast elderly population that stayed behind for fairly obvious reasons. Taking a city like Boston (13%) seems a much more apt comparison with its industrial past and eds/meds renaissance than a city like Austin or Charlotte. Even then, these percentages are not, I would argue, OMG HUGE.
No, but they are significant. And it's not just the sunbelt cities, either. Minneapolis is hardly sunbelt, neither are Denver or Salt Lake City, though they are both sunny. Columbus, Chicago, Seattle, DC, NYC and Indy are not sunbelt, either. Richmond (13%), OTOH, may be considered sunbelt.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:32 PM

33 posts, read 38,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalforever View Post

1. San Francisco - Millenials probably can't afford it. Also Homeless people.
Yes, they cannot.

This is one of the main reasons my wife and I are moving. We have an affordable (for San Francisco) tiny one bedroom apartment that is rent-controlled. A two bedroom (which we would need if we were starting a family, etc) would be at least $1000 more a month than what we pay now. Craziness.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
No, but they are significant. And it's not just the sunbelt cities, either. Minneapolis is hardly sunbelt, neither are Denver or Salt Lake City, though they are both sunny. Columbus, Chicago, Seattle, DC, NYC and Indy are not sunbelt, either. Richmond (13%), OTOH, may be considered sunbelt.
You missed the point quite capably. This is not that there is sun, nor that they are specifically in the sunbelt. It is the industrial history, collapse, and rather recent reversal of these trends compared with cities that have enjoyed more steady growth and population stability (particularly in these ranges).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh