Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 08:45 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It truly shows you how few people on here have any compassion for the less fortunate when they pretend they don't even exist.

Given current trends my partner and I will not be willing to pay $800+ (plus ALL utilities) for a crappy 1-BR apartment in Polish Hill. Our maximum budget that doesn't make us "house-poor" is $800/month + all utilities. Finding a decent 1-BR (that accepts pets) for <$800/month has become a much taller order since moving here in 2010. Let's presume the people who are being priced out of Shadyside, where they couldn't afford $1,000/month+ for a 1-BR but CAN afford $800/month for a 1-BR here in Polish Hill are pricing those in Polish Hill, whose maximum budget is $800/month, out to Millvale and Troy Hill. We move there and can pay up to $800/month for a 1-BR, which is higher than prevailing market rents in such areas. Existing residents are largely paying ~$500/month-$600/month for a 1-BR in those areas. When people like my partner and me move in and drive up the rent, where will THOSE people go?

City-Data members seem to think we have an infinite supply of affordable safe neighborhoods to go around. We don't. People being priced out of Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, etc. will go to Troy Hill, Millvale, Etna, Spring Garden, etc. People in THOSE areas will go...?
The buck certainly stops somewhere, but PGH is quite a ways off from becoming a San Francisco, or even a Chicago.

That isn't to say things aren't tough for the people who presently have to relocate (or will be forced to relocate in the near future), but that's what happens when a city increases in cachet: rents rise. You can't have it both ways. Rent in a transitioning neighborhood for cheap-ish, rent in a fully established neighborhood at a premium, or be an all-out urban pioneer and take a chance on a presently dicey area that may very well become the next Polish Hill. The choice is yours, though either way, you'd be part of the "problem" (as you would likely phrase it).

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 04-21-2014 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 PM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
If you had any compassion, you wouldn’t be considering moving to Millvale or Troy Hill, since you will effectively be forcing those people out. Move to the West End or another area where there is not the presumed impending rental crunch and that buys those in Millvale and Tory Hill a little more time.

I did my part in this entire thing by buying in Brookline, and avoiding the East End, thus not contributing to the great EEHC. The “it’s not me, it’s you” attitude doesn’t fly when you are actually trying to be one of the people pricing out those who are less fortunate. Put the those truly in need ahead of yourself and look outside of those areas.
Hahahahaha, nice.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:51 PM

252 posts, read 348,157 times
Or you can do it the way I did: buy a house, then rent out rooms to friends at a reasonable price. It works out for everyone!

Old 04-21-2014, 09:41 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
I can't speak to families, but as far as single people go, I couldn't disagree more. Co-habitating is very environmental. Besides the obvious savings on heating and electricity, you're eliminating redundant kitchens, bathrooms, etc. which matters both in terms of initial construction and ongoing maintenance. Furthermore, underutilized spaces have opportunity costs associated with them: if a building with ten 1BR units that each have 1 kitchen and 1 bath instead had five 2BR units, each still with 1BR and 1 kitchen, what could be done with the extra space? A lot! This is especially relevant when we're trying to figure out ways to fit more people into areas where they can bike, walk, and use public transit to get to their destinations.

Roommates don't work for everyone, but an awful lot of people living with no one or one roommate could live with more. Look around the world, and this is extremely common: parents, son, auntie, grandpa, and cousin all living together. Many people (including me) benefit socially by having this "support network" of people at home.

So to me, having roommates is a privilege: besides saving money, I know that I'm being more environmental than living on my own. We need more group dwelling!
Some people do well living with roomies and prefer it. Speaking for myself, I often become the babysitter of an irresponsible roommate. No thanks. I don't want to take on someone else's problems all of the time, unless I'm being paid for it. I have had several very uncomfortable roommate situations. There are many unstable people out there and I do not want to live with one of them again.

Old 04-22-2014, 05:28 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
Or you can do it the way I did: buy a house, then rent out rooms to friends at a reasonable price. It works out for everyone!
Yup. SCR, it really doesn't matter which town you move to or if you stay put. You're getting derailed by a straw argument when the bottom line is it doesn't matter if you move to Troy Hill, or Millvale, or Braddock, or Fairywood, or stay in Polish Hill--as long as you continue renting you are the one contributing to the situation and therefore just as "uncompassionate" as the next guy.

The only solution is to stop being a renter. Which means:
1) buy a house (and since the point is to "not push out renters" make sure you buy one that isn't being rented)
2) move out of the city (but then you will be contributing to the same problem in another city), or
3) add to the rental spaces available. (in other words, become a landlord).

I like Grep's solution. Buy a house and rent out a few of the rooms. Seems like a good plan. Or, if you don't like the idea of roommates, you can always try the other option I've suggested several times. Buy a house like that one on Milroy. Build a micro house in the back yard and rent out the main house.

Be part of the solution. If it's too expensive to buy a house on your own, why not get an investment partner, write up a contract, and go in on a place together? That's how I bought my first condo in Los Angeles. Before you know it you'll be a landlord, and then we'll see how you feel about rents.

Last edited by Caladium; 04-22-2014 at 05:45 AM..

Old 04-22-2014, 06:32 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
So with an average rent of $900, infrastructure problems reaching absurd levels, and employees of the area's largest employer going on hunger strikes to protest low wages...... it is safe to say that we can put the "most livable city" thing to rest finally?

Old 04-22-2014, 06:51 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
So with an average rent of $900, infrastructure problems reaching absurd levels, and employees of the area's largest employer going on hunger strikes to protest low wages...... it is safe to say that we can put the "most livable city" thing to rest finally?
Can we keep the top ten list postings? Pretty please? Drinking my froofy espresso drink while watching Katiana blow a gasket is the only thing that can get me going some mornings.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Can we keep the top ten list postings? Pretty please? Drinking my froofy espresso drink while watching Katiana blow a gasket is the only thing that can get me going some mornings.
ROTFL

Old 04-22-2014, 06:59 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
City-Data members seem to think we have an infinite supply of affordable safe neighborhoods to go around. We don't. People being priced out of Lawrenceville, Polish Hill, Bloomfield, etc. will go to Troy Hill, Millvale, Etna, Spring Garden, etc. People in THOSE areas will go...?
My guess would be various river towns. Don't know all the towns as well as you guys (obviously) but if you want a guess, that's mine. Places like Ambridge or Braddock will get new people moving in. Druggies will move out, crime will go down, and after that become these towns will be the next affordable safe neighborhoods.

Or if you really want to think outside the box--Fairywood?

Old 04-22-2014, 07:06 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
Can we keep the top ten list postings?
  • Pittsburgh ranked #4 in Best Cities to Throw Spaghetti Out of a Moving Car
  • Pittsburgh ranked #2 in Best Cities to Fart On a Stranger In Public Transit
  • Pittsburgh ranked #1 in Best Cities to Buy Cherokee Red In a Sh*thole Convenience Store
I could make so much clickbait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh