Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 AM

111 posts, read 114,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Probably not the next trendy community, but if my block is any indication, many young families are choosing Crafton. Four houses have sold recently, all to young families. It seems that many of the houses that haven't sold in a long time have aging owners who either live in the homes or rent them out. All the homes that fit that scenario that have sold recently on my block have been bought by young families. I know one family specifically wanted Crafton because the wife grew up here and she and her husband both have easy commutes from here. I'll have to do a little detective work find out if any of the other newcomers were priced out of the trendier neighborhoods. I figure that what is happening on my block is more than likely happening elsewhere in Crafton.
My girlfriend and I pretty much fit your description. We just bought a beautiful home in Ingram, landing there after finding nothing in the South Hills. One day in, we love it here. I can't believe how much house and land you can get for your money in Crafton/Ingram. Considering how close it is the city, and how safe it seems to be, I'm perplexed as to how the area isn't already booming.

I forgot to mention that it's flat! Flat! In Pittsburgh! And the busway is right down the street!

Last edited by DoubleStraps; 07-10-2014 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 09:00 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,917,912 times
Things like this are why....

'Which Pittsburgh Neighborhood Should I Live In?' - City Guide - August 2014

Lebo was the only one recommended outside of the East End. Also, the lowest priced neighborhood was around $140k.

A newbie to Pittsburgh would find it hard to believe that anyone manages to survive outside of a few East End neighborhoods.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:17 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

Lebo was the only one recommended outside of the East End. Also, the lowest priced neighborhood was around $140k.

A newbie to Pittsburgh would find it hard to believe that anyone manages to survive outside of a few East End neighborhoods.
Also, every character looks like some kind of hipster (except, perhaps, the Mt. Lebo chilluns).

Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM

618 posts, read 692,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post

To be fair, Dormont got a couple of honorable mentions. But overall a lazy article.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:26 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,065 times
Given that Pittsburgh magazine's highest readership and targeted advertising comes from those zip codes (and Sewickley), not surprising that they focus on those areas.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,719,253 times
I think it's already been established that many people think that the only Pittsburgh neighborhoods worth living in are in the East End. Everywhere else is some sort of wasteland filled with yinzers and hoodlums.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:38 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I think it's already been established that many people think that the only Pittsburgh neighborhoods worth living in are in the East End. Everywhere else is some sort of wasteland filled with yinzers and hoodlums.
It's more that everything else is a much worse commute to Oakland and too far from Whole Foods.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:40 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
I'm certainly going to tell my new grad students they should live in Bethel Park.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I'm certainly going to tell my new grad students they should live in Bethel Park.

Grad students, yes I get the East End, however young couples could fit in quite well in Brookline. Not everyone can afford those prices in Highland Park, so they are basically making young couples freak out over housing costs for no reason.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Given that Pittsburgh magazine's highest readership and targeted advertising comes from those zip codes (and Sewickley), not surprising that they focus on those areas.

I actually let my subscription expire because of such thinking. The one time they highlighted Brookline in an article, the map they used showed us as Mt. Washington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh