Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:21 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,596,535 times

Advertisements

One thing I've noticed in any large nightlife district is that the normal people who know what they're doing and just want to relax and have a good time tend to go home around 11PM or so, and after that the riff-raff arrives. This is the way it is in college towns too. It'd behoove any city with a large nightlife district to step up the police presence between 11PM and 3AM, because that's when 90% of the crime happens in those places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 08:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,842,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
One thing I've noticed in any large nightlife district is that the normal people who know what they're doing and just want to relax and have a good time tend to go home around 11PM or so, and after that the riff-raff arrives. This is the way it is in college towns too. It'd behoove any city with a large nightlife district to step up the police presence between 11PM and 3AM, because that's when 90% of the crime happens in those places.
Unfortunately pittsburgh seems to act like no other city has nightlife districts or events involving alcohol as pittsburgh seems to fail to take any cues from other places in dealing with drunk people.

I was in shadyside last weekend as 4 guys beat the tar out of each right around 2am right on walnut st by Cappys for a decent amount of time with nary a cop in sight.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:14 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,184,874 times
Quote:
One thing I've noticed in any large nightlife district is that the normal people
who know what they're doing and just want to relax and have a good time tend to
go home around 11PM or so, and after that the riff-raff arrives.
Quote:

I was in shadyside last weekend as 4 guys beat the tar out of each right
around 2am

Old 04-20-2014, 07:30 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,963,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Unfortunately pittsburgh seems to act like no other city has nightlife districts or events involving alcohol as pittsburgh seems to fail to take any cues from other places in dealing with drunk people.

I was in shadyside last weekend as 4 guys beat the tar out of each right around 2am right on walnut st by Cappys for a decent amount of time with nary a cop in sight.
Had you forgotten your cell phone?

Edit: the phone would be for calling the cops, not for taking a crappy video.

Last edited by FreightTrainRunning; 04-20-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 04-20-2014, 08:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Had you forgotten your cell phone?

Edit: the phone would be for calling the cops, not for taking a crappy video.

Pittsburghers try not to neb into other people's business and get them into trouble with the police.

As long as no one was getting seriously injured, I couldn't see calling the police. Especially nowadays, where the police seem awfully quick to charge people with felonies over relatively minor offenses (like bar fights)

Old 04-20-2014, 08:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post

Very interesting observation in light of the argument yesterday about "other cities" on this thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...end-burgh.html

Old 04-20-2014, 08:21 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Pittsburghers try not to neb into other people's business and get them into trouble with the police.

As long as no one was getting seriously injured, I couldn't see calling the police. Especially nowadays, where the police seem awfully quick to charge people with felonies over relatively minor offenses (like bar fights)
Er, "beating the tar" out of others does seem to indicate at least the potential for serious injury.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,963,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post

Maybe I'm not a real Pittsburgher but I'd call the cops in a heartbeat. There's always a chance that an innocent person could get hurt or someone's property would get damaged. There's another thread about no one calling the police in Larimer and people seem critical of those neighbors but somehow a few blocks away in Shadyside, it's OK to let violence go unreported?

Old 04-20-2014, 08:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,203,280 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm not a real Pittsburgher but I'd call the cops in a heartbeat. There's always a chance that an innocent person could get hurt or someone's property would get damaged.

Bar fights happen all of the time, and I guess you're right that the possibility of injury is there. But the negative side of calling the police is that they tend to be very heavy handed nowadays, very quick to arrest people, charge them with felonies and cause all sorts of other grief.

If the police were given standing orders to break up this kind of altercation and just tell the parties to go home if there really wasn't any real damage, there would be a lot less negativity to calling 911.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,783,846 times
Quote:
it's OK to let violence go unreported?
Yes, if it is some dumb bar fight. Who cares? There are probably 100 on any given weekend night going on somewhere around the city. No need for police in a little bar fight. They probably all shook hands afterwards and went home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh