Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 30,961,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I'll take the compliments even if from a wackjob. Maybe Tokyo Rose will visit next

LOL, and the mayor of Toronto! And Lindsay Lohan. There could be a whole "scandal tour". Disgraced celebs who visit and say nice things about da burgh--could be the start of something. Or at least a very funny you-tube video.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:04 AM

632 posts, read 848,395 times
I have Yinzer friends who served in Vietnam.

I can tell you, most assuredly, they do NOT like Jane Fonda.

Were she not a woman they would run across all 16 lanes of the DC Beltway
just to punch her in the nose.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Were she not a woman they would run across all 16 lanes of the DC Beltway
just to punch her in the nose.
I find this pretty offensive towards people that served in our military. Not all military people would resort to punching someone in the face because they dislike them. Many are trained to avoid such acts and they certainly aren't a bunch of thugs that want to go to jail. Plus I don't get why people think "yinzers" all pick fights. Most don't go on the offensive without being provoked in the first place.

Also, this was a nice writeup from someone that was visiting our city. Why turn it into some ugly thing and a bunch of hatred towards someone? Odd.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 AM

2,001 posts, read 2,498,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
Reading that makes me hungry for a hamburgian.

I am a foreigner but.... shouldn't' we be called Pittsbughers? After all we say londoner, berliner but also parisian. I am not a linguist... maybe someone could enlighten us, but to me it seems wrong . We forgive her because she loves us.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:17 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,109,679 times
Quote:
Does she like it as much as she likes Hanoi?
Well that didn't take long.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Well that didn't take long.
Hey, Jane chose to go to Hanoi. You make the decision to do that
and you have to know it is going to dog you for the rest of your life.

I think some of these same guys actually would cross the DC Beltway
to punch John Kerry in the face.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,685,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
I think some of these same guys actually would cross the DC Beltway
to punch John Kerry in the face.
And there are probably a bunch of people out there that would love to punch these guys you speak of in their faces. We are a country of different beliefs.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I find this pretty offensive towards people that served in our military. Not all military people would resort to punching someone in the face because they dislike them. Many are trained to avoid such acts and they certainly aren't a bunch of thugs that want to go to jail. Plus I don't get why people think "yinzers" all pick fights. Most don't go on the offensive without being provoked in the first place.

Also, this was a nice writeup from someone that was visiting our city. Why turn it into some ugly thing and a bunch of hatred towards someone? Odd.
I was a tot at the time, so I really did not have a dog in this fight.

I am presuming most of you posting on here are younger than I am.

So just to provide some historical background, Jane Fonda traveled to Hanoi, the capital of North Vietnam, in 1972, where she appeared at propaganda events, posed for pictures while straddling a cannon, participated in anti-American radio propaganda broadcasts, and shot propaganda film footage at a POW camp where American prisoners were being held.

Though this is disputed, some of the prisoners at the camp later claimed that they had tried to slip messages to Fonda to take home to their loved ones. They claimed she instead turned these over to the North Vietnamese, and they were severely punished as a result.

If you were actually out there in the field, fighting for your country, watching your buddies bleed and die every day, this would have hit you like a sharp stick up the backside. It did. And many of these guys have never forgotten, nor will they forgive her.

The guys I know who are extremely angry at her all believe the story that she turned the secret messages over to the North Vietnamese.

It is one thing to oppose a war. Many in this country, and perhaps even most, did oppose that war.
It is quite another to actually go over to the enemy's side to offer encouragement and support, and to allow yourself to be used for propaganda purposes. These Vets are not angry at everyone who opposed the war, only at Fonda.

And at John Kerry, due to the outrageous accusations he made against them in his "Winter Soldier" testimony before Congress.

It was a long time ago. Pays to revisit to put all this into some context.

And, to further the context, Americans or Brits who participated in enemy propaganda broadcasts during WW II were brought up on treason charges. The Brits executed at least one of them.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,777,749 times
Some people are easily misled and blindly follow. There were many people against that war and those folks were obviously correct. Protect our troops and bring them home. People in the military aren't just pawns, they are our kids.

snopes.com: Jane Fonda and American POWs in North Vietnam

Old 04-23-2014, 10:06 AM

Before jumping to Fonda's defense, I would suggest some of you put The Killing Fields
in your Netflix queue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh