Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 10:32 PM

19 posts, read 36,052 times

Advertisements

Anyone know which orchards and berry farms in Allegheny or surrounding counties have the best "you pick'em" black raspberries? They are starting to come in season and will be ripe for the next couple weeks. I used to gather them along the edges of woods and farms in my younger days but I'm too old to be hiking around miles of thick brush and hornets' nests to get these yummy treats of Nature.

I usually like to pick around 5 or 6 quarts for homemade milkshakes and put them on top of ice cream sundaes and such. Very tasty!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,693,421 times
Sand Hill Berries sells them; however, they don't let you pick your own.

Fruit

In addition to being a berry farm, it is also a winery.

Greendance Winery | The Winery at Sand Hill: Winery | Estate Wine | Wine Tasting | Fruit Wine | Garden Cafe| Pennsylvania |Estate Wines|| Farm |

Old 06-27-2014, 07:56 AM

252 posts, read 348,301 times
I have a few in my backyard, but it's a private haul

Old 06-27-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
Sand Hill Berries sells them; however, they don't let you pick your own.

Fruit

In addition to being a berry farm, it is also a winery.

Greendance Winery | The Winery at Sand Hill: Winery | Estate Wine | Wine Tasting | Fruit Wine | Garden Cafe| Pennsylvania |Estate Wines|| Farm |

That's pretty dumb --- because I only pick the biggest, darkest berries (like I pick my women).

What farms in the area allow "pick your own" ??

Old 06-27-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grep View Post
I have a few in my backyard, but it's a private haul

LOL --- in my younger years I snuck into many backyards and private stashes to get me hands on those yummy dark berries.

You'd wake up and see nothing but this:

Old 06-27-2014, 10:26 AM

52 posts, read 75,263 times
My father and I used to go picking in abandoned farm land for these back in the day. I always remember the Fourth of July being the peak. But, this year, the bushes look bare in the hillsides around here. Anybody else seeing this happening this year? Maybe the really cold April and May pushed it back a few weeks?

Old 06-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king26 View Post
My father and I used to go picking in abandoned farm land for these back in the day. I always remember the Fourth of July being the peak. But, this year, the bushes look bare in the hillsides around here. Anybody else seeing this happening this year? Maybe the really cold April and May pushed it back a few weeks?

I would think they got quite a nice boost from all the rain recently?

Should be some rather plump berries in another week or two.

Old 06-27-2014, 09:52 PM

93 posts, read 91,526 times
Reilly’s Summer Seat Farm in the North Hills has pick-your-own berries. Strawberries, black, gold and red raspberries and blueberries. Not sure what is in season now -- I'd give them a call or email.

Old 06-28-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by punctus_contra_punctum View Post
Reilly’s Summer Seat Farm in the North Hills has pick-your-own berries. Strawberries, black, gold and red raspberries and blueberries. Not sure what is in season now -- I'd give them a call or email.

Ahhh, good ole reliable Reilly's. I will give them a holla.

I never heard about gold berries? Did you make that up? Strawberry season is already over.

Old 06-28-2014, 07:57 AM

93 posts, read 91,526 times
Nope, they have golden raspberries, which as one might guess are yellow in color. I had not heard of them either until I encountered them at Reilly's. The wife likes them, but I prefer the red and black. If memory serves, they are a later ripening variety.

Just picked the last few of my strawberries early this week. Awful year for them, and the rabbits got many of the (few) survivors. My 2 blueberry bushes look good, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh