Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My husband and I had a similar experience touring the west coast last year.

We loved the weather and the beautiful scenery, but the COL and people were deal breakers.
...and yet you're still planning to leave us?!

Can I at least buy you some Antney's Ice Cream first? Oh, and GoodJules, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 05:19 PM

432 posts, read 359,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Oh,but this is the argument thread, so...it still annoys me that you pay when you get off outbound buses, but only on some routes at certain times. It's stupid!
Seattle had a ride-free zone downtown until a couple of years back, with the same setup. I'm still not yet sure when to pay if I get on a Pittsburgh line (before 7 p.m.) that doesn't actually go through downtown -- pay when I enter? Depends which way the bus is facing at the time? Find a golden bus pass so I don't have to ever worry 'bout it?

Seattle finally abolished the ride-free zone, partly for $$ and partly I think to minimize people skipping out without paying. Except the drivers don't usually push free riders too hard, because of guys like this: "Gunman shoots bus driver, then fatally shot by Seattle cop"
Gunman shoots bus driver, then fatally shot by Seattle cops | Local News | The Seattle Times

-->Oops, sorry, this is the argument thread.... Whassa matter you, it's perfectly simple! Why, when I was a kid, we had fares that changed with the phase of the moon, except for full-fare-Fridays! And we had to *push* the bus! And we were *glad*!!!

Old 10-24-2014, 06:33 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pughnose View Post
Seattle had a ride-free zone downtown until a couple of years back, with the same setup. I'm still not yet sure when to pay if I get on a Pittsburgh line (before 7 p.m.) that doesn't actually go through downtown -- pay when I enter? Depends which way the bus is facing at the time? Find a golden bus pass so I don't have to ever worry 'bout it?

Seattle finally abolished the ride-free zone, partly for $$ and partly I think to minimize people skipping out without paying. Except the drivers don't usually push free riders too hard, because of guys like this: "Gunman shoots bus driver, then fatally shot by Seattle cop"
Gunman shoots bus driver, then fatally shot by Seattle cops | Local News | The Seattle Times

-->Oops, sorry, this is the argument thread.... Whassa matter you, it's perfectly simple! Why, when I was a kid, we had fares that changed with the phase of the moon, except for full-fare-Fridays! And we had to *push* the bus! And we were *glad*!!!
It's really quite simple. You pay at your home stop for buses that go to/come from downtown. If you are going downtown, pay enter. Coming from downtown, pay exit. Buses that don't go downtown, like the 54, pay enter.
If you are in Oakland, and are going to Shadyside, away from downtown, pay exit. If you are in Shadyside, heading to Oakland, pay enter.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
It's really quite simple. You pay at your home stop for buses that go to/come from downtown. If you are going downtown, pay enter. Coming from downtown, pay exit. Buses that don't go downtown, like the 54, pay enter.
If you are in Oakland, and are going to Shadyside, away from downtown, pay exit. If you are in Shadyside, heading to Oakland, pay enter.
you're much smarter than me ....

Old 10-24-2014, 08:34 PM

2,576 posts, read 3,091,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
you're much smarter than me ....
No, just a long-time bus user!

Old 10-24-2014, 08:54 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Watch the driver. They may block the fare box with their hand if you aren't supposed to pay getting on. If you are supposed to pay, they'll be watching you in case you want a transfer or need to show them a pass (I think the CMU pass still doesn't scan, but it may be something else) or whatever.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:01 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,162,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Except after 7pm, when I believe you ALWAYS pay getting on.
It is a ridiculous system. The other day I got off the 61A at Forbes and Murray, paying when I got off. Then I rode the 64 down Murray Avenue but the driver got annoyed because I didn't know I was supposed to pay getting on that one.
Does any other city have such a stupid process?

Old 10-24-2014, 09:37 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,587,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Then I rode the 64 down Murray Avenue but the driver got annoyed because I didn't know I was supposed to pay getting on that one.
As doo dah has already noted, you always pay on entry with buses that don't go downtown.

Old 10-25-2014, 04:39 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,535,105 times
heh heh, he said he had to pay to get off.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:16 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,162,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
As doo dah has already noted, you always pay on entry with buses that don't go downtown.
How in the world is someone who hasn't lived here for 50 years supposed to know whether or not a bus goes downtown at some point in its journey? I truly cannot believe anyone defends this silly system. The bus drivers must hate it--I am not sure why they don't try to change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh