Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:23 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,072,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
I do agree that the "Pittsburgh Nice" thing is an old stereotype. I honestly don't think it applies anymore and hasn't for some time.

I don't think the "don't associate with your neighbors" thing is unique to my neighborhood or even the city itself. I know plenty of people that live all over the city and in the suburbs that have the same experience. Maybe it is out of fear or maybe it's more along the lines of IDGAF. I'm not really sure, but either way I do wish there was some sort of sense of community.
I have never heard of "Pittsburgh Nice", and, considering where I do know such a phrase from("CityX" Nice), I don't think it means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,682,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
I have never heard of "Pittsburgh Nice", and, considering where I do know such a phrase from("CityX" Nice), I don't think it means what you think it means.
I'm pretty sure I do. You're gonna say, "only nice on the surface" right? Well in Pittsburgh you don't even get that much. I would take surface level kindness over no smiles and no greetings any day.

My favorite is when people go "oh Pittsburgh just TELL IT LIKE IT ISSSSSS" which is code for "people are as*holes, but here is a fluffy excuse to explain why".

Old 04-28-2014, 09:37 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngabe View Post
In the suburbs, I tend to notice the younger demographic has more of a "Channel 11 News said you're a stranger and could steal my identity or children so I'm going to ignore you." type mindset. But once again, this is everywhere, with the exception of the deep south.
That is probably the sign of the times everywhere.

Pittsburgh is more friendly than a lot of cities, but not as friendly as it once was. The reason is the media and everyone's addiction to it. Fear has taken over and we are exposed to the worst of the worst around the world 24 hours a day. Heck everyone is walking around with mobile screens as they walk down the street to get their fix of the most negative view of the world as possible. The byproduct is the "Channel 11 News" mindset. Nothing we can do about it. It is a shock value and advertising revenue driven mess.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,072,659 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I do. You're gonna say, "only nice on the surface" right? Well in Pittsburgh you don't even get that much. I would take surface level kindness over no smiles and no greetings any day.

My favorite is when people go "oh Pittsburgh just TELL IT LIKE IT ISSSSSS" which is code for "people are as*holes, but here is a fluffy excuse to explain why".
I wonder if the problem is not with other people.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:40 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,761,808 times
Quote:
I think the circles you are in aren't very good. No offense, but you are 100% negative all the time and much of that is you, not Pittsburgh. Sorry, but it is true and you probably know it. There are lots of people with very close friends in Pittsburgh and those friends would give the shirt off their backs for each other. Sadly, I don't think you have any of them. Many of us do and could make a phone call and friends would be over to our homes in seconds. Yep, that is out there in our city.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,882,404 times
Quote:
PB = Pittsburgh

But my real neighborhood is Carrick. I know the names of about 20% of my neighbors, no one invites on another to parties, I've have seen the same faces for a decade and they don't wave hi, people litter and/or dump and no one cares, people flip out if you park in "their" spot on the street, and my dad got a gun pulled on him. Pretty sure that qualifies as a lack of community.
So Carrick is the most representative neighborhood of Pittsburgh? Every, or even most neighborhoods in Pittsburgh or Allegheny County are just like Carrick?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the problem is not with other people.
Do ho ho didn't see that one coming. What a zinger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I think the circles you are in aren't very good. No offense, but you are 100% negative all the time and much of that is you, not Pittsburgh. Sorry, but it is true and you probably know it. There are lots of people with very close friends in Pittsburgh and those friends would give the shirt off their backs for each other. Sadly, I don't think you have any of them. Many of us do and could make a phone call and friends would be over to our homes in seconds. Yep, that is out there in our city.
If you look at my post history just on the first page you'll see me saying how much a like certain neighborhoods, where are hidden gems for them to visit in the South Hills, where to get poutine and attend food truck roundups, defending the city against NY comparisons, where to get good coffee.... etc. If that's 100% negative then I don't know what to say.

It's always a coping mechanism to attack the messenger when they fall outside of the groupthink. If you dare insult the Fatherland it must be your fault right? Sorry to interrupt the circlejerk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
So Carrick is the most representative neighborhood of Pittsburgh? Every, or even most neighborhoods in Pittsburgh or Allegheny County are just like Carrick?
Can't say I remember typing that?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,882,404 times
Quote:

Can't say I remember typing that?
You seem to think your experiences in your neighborhood are representative of the entire region. Don't act like that wasn't the point of your little rant.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
You seem to think your experiences in your neighborhood are representative of the entire region. Don't act like that wasn't the point of your little rant.
It wasn't, but thanks for putting words in my mouth. I did point out that other people close to me have the same experience. They live in such places as Manchester, Munhall, Robinson, Dormont, Overbrook, Brighton Heights, Hopewell etc.

I will step aside and let you all pretend like we're living in Pleasantville. Carry on.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:05 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,546,050 times
Quote:
You've never heard of "Pittsburgh Nice" because I came up with it as I was typing that response! It was my way of terming how some people insist that the general population in Greater Pittsburgh is full of nice, "go out of you way" style people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh