Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM

128 posts, read 541,131 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am contemplating relocating to Monroeville for my job but I don't know anything about The town other than its close to Pittsburg. Could anyone give me some thoughts on what Monroeville is like? Is it a busy town or more of a quiet suburb? Is it clean and green or does it have more of a industrial feel? Is it nice area for families with a fun active community with plenty of shops and restaurants or is it a dead town with not much life? Etc etc etc.

Much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:36 PM

876 posts, read 1,145,127 times
Do you like endless fields of wild strip malls?

Old 04-29-2014, 10:12 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Hi everyone. I am contemplating relocating to Monroeville for my job but I don't know anything about The town other than its close to Pittsburg. Could anyone give me some thoughts on what Monroeville is like? Is it a busy town or more of a quiet suburb? Is it clean and green or does it have more of a industrial feel? Is it nice area for families with a fun active community with plenty of shops and restaurants or is it a dead town with not much life? Etc etc etc.

Much appreciated
Typical post-war PA Township that spans the hazy transition between middle and outer ring suburbia. If you're familiar with King of Prussia, it's kind of like that, only somewhat lower-scale.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
It's a congested suburb.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:29 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,040,077 times
It's strip malls and box stores, with a big mall thrown in. The residential areas are full of mid-century and later brick ranches. The older areas are near Turtle Creek and Pitcairn. Monroeville has no traditional business district. You could work in Monroeville and live in any of the surrounding towns, or Pittsburgh itself.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:45 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,992,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post

Much appreciated
Sorry you got such horrible responses so far.

Monroeville has a ton of stores of all kinds. It has a residential area that is pretty quiet for the most part and is in the Gateway School District. I don't know a lot about that school to be honest, but I haven't heard a lot of bad things there. Murrysville is very popular for those that work in Monroeville. You mention a fun active community. You could live in Aspinwall and the commute to Monroeville would be less that 20 minutes and you would have your community. If you don't have kids, you can live cheaper out that way though.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:23 AM

610 posts, read 746,671 times
I grew up in Monroeville (7th grade through high school) and loved it. It was a typical suburban area.

Regrettably, I can't give current advice, as I moved away from there in 1980.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:32 AM

632 posts, read 853,949 times
Monroeville was the hot growth suburb in the 1970's.
It's star has faded quite a bit since then. There is a TON of retail out there,
but most of it has seen better days. Lots of vacancies and crumbling stores
(though Monroeville Mall itself remains in pretty decent shape).

The area is legendary for traffic jams. And the Parkway East is perhaps the most painfully
congested road in this region. If you choose to settle there I would strongly suggest that you
seek employment somewhere east of the Squirrel Hill Tunnels.

So far as living conditions there (crime, noise, other problems) it is pretty quiet and pleasant
so far as I understand. But yes, you are basically talking 1960-80's ranch houses on
cul-de-sacs.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:35 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Sorry you got such horrible responses so far.
It's a very safe albeit unpleasantly congested aging suburban area. How is that inaccurate?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:36 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,721,693 times
Zombies everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh