Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times

Advertisements

Saw report of global city rankings.

http://www.atkearney.com/documents/1...d-bf0a3837e52b

Pittsburgh didn't even get a mention. American cities that did:
New York (duh)
Los Angeles
Chicago
Washington
Boston
San Francisco
Miami
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas

Can Pittsburgh ever have a "global city status"? Should it try or is it just fine as is? Atlanta sought it, and achieved it. Maybe Pittsburgh was a bigger deal internationally in the past, now it just lives on its legacy.

10 traits needed
http://www.brookings.edu/research/re...-clark-parilla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2014, 01:50 PM

419 posts, read 551,746 times
I posted a list similar in which Pittsburgh was not listed. It was titled "Top Cities for Young Professionals." I asked for ways in which we can become a more attractive place for young professionals; however, the whole thread was ripped to pieces. I wish you well on this one.... Looking forward to some constructive criticism, but I doubt you will receive that here.

Can Pgh ever achieve global city status? I doubt it. It's days of being an industrial leader are over and is now not really relelvant. It looked good in paper throughout the recession, but that's because it was stagnant. It needs to work on fixing the plethora of problems now such as it's stifling political environment, transform its infrastructure, and attract start ups/like-minded individuals. The apathy of its residents need to change.

Last edited by pghdude28; 04-26-2014 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-26-2014, 02:04 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,646,466 times
I think most mid-size and many large American cities are not what anyone would consider "global cities." I agree that Pittsburgh is not a global city and I have no problem with it. It certainly isn't essential to Pittsburgh's growth or economy. The main thing is that Pittsburgh's image within the US is starting to change from the former steel town to the current eds & meds modern economic rebirth that has been the reality for some time.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
The main thing is that Pittsburgh's image within the US is starting to change from the former steel town to the current eds & meds modern economic rebirth that has been the reality for some time.
That's a good thing and it should strive to do that. Trying to be a global city is a "pipe dream" for Pittsburgh. Also, too many of its leaders, citizens, and members on this forum, allow all this good press get to their heads and they overlook and even ignore serious problems that are occurring here. We have a long way to go....

Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
That's a good thing and it should strive to do that. Trying to be a global city is a "pipe dream" for Pittsburgh. Also, too many of its leaders, citizens, and members on this forum, allow all this good press get to their heads and they overlook and even ignore serious problems that are occurring here. We have a long way to go....
"Global City" is a vague term at best. As long as Pittsburgh continues to regain population and prosper I'll be happy. If things change in a way that attract foreign tourists or tourism in general, it's not a bad thing. The focus is on bringing jobs to the area and it should be the main focus. Jobs drive growth and economic stability IMHO.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
The focus is on bringing jobs to the area and it should be the main focus. Jobs drive growth and economic stability IMHO.
Absolutely. People will follow the jobs and the best economic opportunities. Look at the growth in Texas for example. Even Dallas appeared on the list of Global Cities, but you are right it's a vague term. The focus in Pgh should be jobs, jobs, jobs.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:19 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,810 times
I like to think of Bill Murray whether I am pondering if something matters or not. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...65397613,d.cWc

Old 04-26-2014, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I like to think of Bill Murray whether I am pondering if something matters or not. http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...65397613,d.cWc
Excellent advice.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:28 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
Can Pgh ever achieve global city status? I doubt it. It's days of being an industrial leader are over and is now not really relelvant. It looked good in paper throughout the recession, but that's because it was stagnant. It needs to work on fixing the plethora of problems now such as it's stifling political environment, transform its infrastructure, and attract start ups/like-minded individuals. The apathy of its residents need to change.
I don't think Pittsburgh's political environment is much worse than anyone else's. Chicago is notorious in politics and they've done very well.

Washington will dominate the political aspect of course. Atlanta enjoys being the de facto capital of the South. Pittsburgh has very stiff competition in its region. What it has enjoyed in other rankings is a relative low cost of living given the amenities offered. All Pittsburgh can do is focus on being pro-business, which is probably why Houston enjoys some status. Better infrastructure and lower taxes can encourage business development.

Old 04-26-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
I don't think Pittsburgh's political environment is much worse than anyone else's. Chicago is notorious in politics and they've done very well.

Washington will dominate the political aspect of course. Atlanta enjoys being the de facto capital of the South. Pittsburgh has very stiff competition in its region. What it has enjoyed in other rankings is a relative low cost of living given the amenities offered. All Pittsburgh can do is focus on being pro-business, which is probably why Houston enjoys some status. Better infrastructure and lower taxes can encourage business development.
-Political Environment -- you are right that it may not be worse than Chicago or some other places, but it needs to change. We can't expect one person, the Mayor, to do everything.

-Better Infrastructure & Lower Taxes -- connected to the political environment.

-Low Cost of Living -- We enjoy that now, but housing and rent are increasing.

I know a lot on here will criticize Houston and other growing southern cities as being a mess of suburban sprawl. From what I've found in some Texas cities is that they are improving public transit and walkability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh