Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 09:19 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,196,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
I'm sure this thread will be about 20+ pages. I agree with most except the weather... it's much nicer in NJ than the crap we experience here. I'll keep this OP format in mind when I post my "Leaving Pgh" thread in 2 weeks. Good luck with your future!
...between classes we would all meet in a day room with vending machines located on the 7th floor with a view of the city. For many continuous days Pittsburgh was overcast.

One day, the sun came through the clouds. All the guys from New Jersey and Philly dropped to their knees and shouted, "What is that!?!" "Does it burn?" and things like that. Very f*****g funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 09:23 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,155,707 times
Quote:
OP, is the "roll out of bed" look prominent in NJ? It's defined by going out in public with messy bed hair, clothing worn in bed, and usually carrying plastic Walmart bags. Just curious, because it's very prevelant around Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if you can possibly miss it, unless you never ventured off campus.
If you are moving down south you will soon be seeing a LOT of this.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM

456 posts, read 829,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
You can't leave without telling us where those good kebab places are
In Oakland, they aren't that fancy or anything, but I liked them. One of the places is 'Kebab Factory' another place called Shiraz.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:34 AM

419 posts, read 548,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Not in the city I'm moving to. It is known for dressing nice. Contrary to popular belief, I am not moving to Atlanta. The roll out of bed look is directed to the locals, not college students. Pgh is a VERY sloppy and poorly dressed city.

To the person who mentioned the perpetual overcast in Pittsburgh, there are novels written on here discussing it. That's why I disagreed with the OP thinking the weather is the same as NJ. It is not. NJ is partly cloudy and Pittsburgh is dark, dull, gray, and overcast most days.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:35 AM

456 posts, read 829,388 times
Quote:
To the person who mentioned the perpetual overcast in Pittsburgh, there are novels written on here discussing it. That's why I disagreed with the OP thinking the weather is the same as NJ. It is not. NJ is partly cloudy and Pittsburgh is dark, dull, gray, and overcast most days.
Probably there are more sunny days in NJ than in Pittsburgh, but I don't see a huge difference in weather, as I have traveled between the two locations quite often. What I usually find is that the weather that Pittsburgh has, NJ has the next day.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,886,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Probably there are more sunny days in NJ than in Pittsburgh, but I don't see a huge difference in weather, as I have traveled between the two locations quite often. What I usually find is that the weather that Pittsburgh has, NJ has the next day.
What you find here is a local-yocal who can't get over the fact that its partly cloudy or sunny in Pittsburgh more often than overcast. Calling him dogmatic would be a gross understatement.

Old 05-01-2014, 10:43 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,232,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
I'm afraid your observations just don't line up with pghdude's preconceived notions of reality. Don't worry, not many other people's do either.

Good luck in the future BTW. Nice thread. And there's definitely some fine food in this town, I promise you

Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
Also out west, except maybe California. Certainly in the mountain west.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
What you find here is a local-yocal who can't get over the fact that its partly cloudy or sunny in Pittsburgh more often than overcast. Calling him dogmatic would be a gross understatement.
Congrats on your PE!

Old 05-01-2014, 12:38 PM

4,797 posts, read 5,991,818 times
I have no idea how a neighborhood having more Latinos than another ethnic group makes it more diverse. When I was in Pittsburgh I saw a ton of racial integration. I saw many Jews, Indians, Blacks, Asians, Eastern Europeans, and yes, typical American White folk. So you pretty much have most continents covered except Latin America. No city has EVERY ethnicity under the sun living in it, but Pittsburgh sure has many. I say this and I am from Chicago, where we have many different ethnic enclaves. Yes, it is true that we have a lot of Latinos. But if you were here, you'd be like me and asking "where are the Middle Easterners? Or the Indians?" It's all perception. Pittsburgh is diverse. Latinos just for some reason don't make up a huge portion of it, but why is that ethnicity the only that should count toward diversity?

Here in Chicago, you have neighborhoods that have lots of Latinos. So many that the neighborhood is no longer diverse, and that everyone living there has ties to one city in Mexico. That's not diverse when all you have in the neighborhood is Mexican food. What if I wanted to get kabobs? Or lamb biryani? Or Pad Thai? Or Pho? Seriously, man, that sounds mildly racist to insinuate that only Latinos are the ones who count when it comes to making a place diverse. Are we to assume that all the other Pittsburgh ethnic groups are White?

Also, visit Chicago. Yes we are diverse but we are SUPER segregated. You don't see many neighborhoods outside of Rogers Park that have many ethnic groups living in them. Usually a neighborhood is either White, Black, or Mexican. On Chicago's East Side, the blocks alternate between Haitian and Mexican. One block is full of Haitians, another full of Mexicans. They occupy the same neighborhood, but not the same block. Pittsburgh is pretty cool because of its neighborhoods that look more integrated. I never saw that in Chicago and when I went to Pittsburgh I was shocked. Especially in Bloomfield that is supposed to house Little Italy, and most everyone that I saw was Black and White.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:30 PM

697 posts, read 773,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I have no idea how a neighborhood having more Latinos than another ethnic group makes it more diverse. When I was in Pittsburgh I saw a ton of racial integration. I saw many Jews, Indians, Blacks, Asians, Eastern Europeans, and yes, typical American White folk.

Here in Chicago, you have neighborhoods that have lots of Latinos. So many that the neighborhood is no longer diverse, and that everyone living there has ties to one city in Mexico. That's not diverse when all you have in the neighborhood is Mexican food. What if I wanted to get kabobs? Or lamb biryani? Or Pad Thai? Or Pho? Seriously, man, that sounds mildly racist to insinuate that only Latinos are the ones who count when it comes to making a place diverse. Are we to assume that all the other Pittsburgh ethnic groups are White?

Pittsburgh is pretty cool because of its neighborhoods that look more integrated. I never saw that in Chicago and when I went to Pittsburgh I was shocked. Especially in Bloomfield that is supposed to house Little Italy, and most everyone that I saw was Black and White.

Yes, I agree that there's some racial diversity in Pittsburgh and I'm glad you picked up on that on your visit. How do you know if someone is Jewish (other than sect such as Hasidic...) or Eastern European by looking at them?

Did someone mention that only Latinos count in making a place diverse? They do represent a growing population within the US but not so much in Pittsburgh so that may be why people mention that particular group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh