Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,586,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
It's a very safe albeit unpleasantly congested aging suburban area. How is that inaccurate?
It is nowhere near as inaccurate as saying you can get there from Aspinwall in 15 min at rush hour. Add the customary ten minutes to Pittsburgh time estimates as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 07:42 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
But yes, you are basically talking 1960-80's ranch houses on cul-de-sacs.
Somebody working out that way, not worried about schools, and interested in a nicer house should probably look at Churchill. I've seen a fair few nice houses out that way.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:43 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Zombies everywhere.
No. That's just anywhere outside the East End.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:44 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Somebody working out that way, not worried about schools, and interested in a nicer house should probably look at Churchill. I've seen a fair few nice houses out that way.
Yep. If schools weren't a concern I'd take Churchill, parts of Wilkins Township, Blackridge (non-Wilkinsburg parts to save on property taxes), or Forest Hills anyday over Monroeville, where you'd have to battle traffic just to get to a grocery store from most subdivisions.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
Quote:
It's a very safe albeit unpleasantly congested aging suburban area. How is that inaccurate?
completely accurate.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
No. That's just anywhere outside the East End.
If you didn't get the reference you are making St. Romero weep.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,089,604 times
The one thing I remember about the area was a pretty cool book store called Half Price Books. I don't recall the traffic being all that bad, although it's been a few years since I've been there. Older suburb with lots and lots of shopping, which makes it a little ugly to drive through but pleasant for the people who live there. Has that "older suburb that saw it's heyday a few decades ago" feel--but if you like suburban living it has it's not bad, it's just older.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:59 AM

15 posts, read 19,533 times
i don't love monroeville as im not a huge fan of suburbia, but the traffic is not that bad. IMO cranberry and even rt 30 in spots(especially north huntingdon) are worse.

the businesses are not really old and crumbling. there is a ton of new business still put in the past decade or so including a hospital and a ton of restaurants.
i don't really know whats crumbling or vacant...theres 1 dive bar thats really ugly in the middle of 22 business and a bunk hotel that might be(should have been 20 years+ ago but can't force people to sell so easy)up toward the turnpike but other than that everything seems pretty busy to me and theres a ton of places thriving. what am i overlooking.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:41 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,413,909 times
It is a big suburb with lots of shopping. The residential areas seem quiet..typical suburbia. Most of the housing is post WW2 ranch/split levels. Probably not a lot of new housing past the 1980s. I don't know about the school district.

I worked there for three years right off of the main drag through their (William Penn Highway. Business Route 22) Very busy road and can be a big pain to get to places, especially from shopping place to shopping place as you have to drive and sit at long traffic lights. Christmas time is especially rough on traffic there. I remember, I worked about 1.5 miles from the Sheetz on 22 and it took me my whole lunch hour to drive to Sheetz, pick up food, and then drive back to work due to the traffic. Monroeville Boulevard runs behind some William Penn and runs parallel to it for the most part so that can be used as an alternative way to get between places but I don't know of any other shortcuts. Monroeville also features one of the busiest intersections in the state: https://goo.gl/maps/Yb60r Routes 22, 48, and interchanges for I-76 and I-376 all come together in close proximity to each other.

Old 04-30-2014, 08:48 AM

7,112 posts, read 10,135,076 times
From when I lived there...it's the very definition of "suburban". And the Zombie problem is relatively under control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh