Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSaturdayNight View Post
Let me add that I currently live in Philly and grown tired of the city life with its congestion and traffic. I prefer a nice suburbia with beautiful scenery, less traffic but also has it's ammenities like shops and restaurants and proximity to a big city (like Pittsburg) I'm assuming from the feedback so far, Monroeville is lacking in the charming historic feel department? Someone mentioned churchville? Would you guys say that may be better place for me to look into?
I don't think Churchill is a good idea if you're buying. The school district is lousy because it was merged with some dangerous areas. That's the reason you can get a nice big house for a great price. Property values will only remain the same or decline as a result of the school district. I don't think you'll get the sense of community you're hoping to find there.

You're not going to like the commute from Aspinwall. It will be congested along that route. Plus it has a city neighborhood feel.

Anything within reasonable commuting distance to Monroeville will provide you with the shopping you want right in Monroeville. Look at Murrysville and Plum. If you give an idea of how long of a commute you can tolerate, people can suggestion areas further out, like Hempfield perhaps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 01:29 PM

128 posts, read 540,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Don't forget the H: PittsburgH
I knew something didn't look right hah

Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Zombies on your lawn are an extra bonus. They keep the neighborhood dogs from pooping there.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:41 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone. My job would be located in Monroeville (should I choose to accept) but I don't necessarily have to live there so as long as the commute to/back from work is reasonable. It would be me and my wife. We are both early 30s, asian and not a big party type but rather enjoy more the down to earth community events stuff like festivals, street fairs, flea market backyard bbqing types.i don't see myself settling down there (but who's knows for sure) but I would take this job for maybe 1-2 years I guess. I've been to Pittsburg and thought it was nice. Let me add that I currently live in Philly and grown tired of the city life with its congestion and traffic. I prefer a nice suburbia with beautiful scenery, less traffic but also has it's ammenities like shops and restaurants and proximity to a big city (like Pittsburg) I'm assuming from the feedback so far, Monroeville is lacking in the charming historic feel department? Someone mentioned churchville? Would you guys say that may be better place for me to look into?

Appreciate everyone's help so far and PS I don't mind a few zombies here and there as long as they stay off my lawn
Churchill

And since you're from Philly, if you like/don't mind KOP/you shouldn't dislike/mind Monroeville, unless your opinion on KOP is based solely on the state of the mall (Monroeville's not a luxury mall, but it isn't trashy either; I'd put it about on par with Plymouth Meeting).

Old 04-30-2014, 01:42 PM

128 posts, read 540,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I don't think Churchill is a good idea if you're buying. The school district is lousy because it was merged with some dangerous areas. That's the reason you can get a nice big house for a great price. Property values will only remain the same or decline as a result of the school district. I don't think you'll get the sense of community you're hoping to find there.

You're not going to like the commute from Aspinwall. It will be congested along that route. Plus it has a city neighborhood feel.

Anything within reasonable commuting distance to Monroeville will provide you with the shopping you want right in Monroeville. Look at Murrysville and Plum. If you give an idea of how long of a commute you can tolerate, people can suggestion areas further out, like Hempfield perhaps.
Well right now my commute to work is about 20 mins so I'd like to keep it around that number maybe give or take another 10 mins if further out will be more nicer and enjoyable. I don't want to say I will or won't be buying a house over there yet cause it's too early for me to know but for starting out I think I will stick with an apartment till I get a better feel for things. My main things I'm looking for out there is pretty much a town with as close to the ideallic suburb look and feel as possible and by that I mean clean, beautiful, charming/historic feel and not congested but still has it's shops and eateries and a big family oriented vibe. Again me and my wife aren't big partiers but prefer neighborhoods with nice parks where parents can take their kids out and basically a town that feels lively and not run down or depressing. Sorry I know I'm too picky lol

Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,456,740 times
Its a lot of reputation. Murrysville has just as many 'strip malls. down 22 than Monroeville does, the only difference is in Murrysville you will never go to 90% of them, just drive past them as you go to Monroeville to eat or shop.. i don't even know whats in most of them.

Working in Monroeville you can go more toward the city to places like Churchill, Edgewood, Forest Hills, Regent Square even. Or you go go more rural. Level Green is 10 minutes from anywhere in Monroeville in Penn Trafford school district and is rural like most of that school district (read housing developments to no end, not much retail at all) White Oak is more condensed and is really pretty nice and fairly priced although the school district is very poorly ranked. Even North Huntingdon if you are looking suburbs is 15 minutes to Monroeville and is a newer version of Monroeville with a higher asian/middle eastern population than most suburbs (still pretty low but you won't normally be the one minority in class like a lot of places)

Old 04-30-2014, 01:45 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,993,619 times
Quote:
Well right now my commute to work is about 20 mins so I'd like to keep it around that number maybe give or take another 10 mins if further out will be more nicer and enjoyable. I don't want to say I will or won't be buying a house over there yet cause it's too early for me to know but for starting out I think I will stick with an apartment till I get a better feel for things. My main things I'm looking for out there is pretty much a town with as close to the ideallic suburb look and feel as possible and by that I mean clean, beautiful, charming/historic feel and not congested but still has it's shops and eateries and a big family oriented vibe. Again me and my wife aren't big partiers but prefer neighborhoods with nice parks where parents can take their kids out and basically a town that feels lively and not run down or depressing. Sorry I know I'm too picky lol
No such thing, really. The classic suburb you speak of will basically by definition be congested (like Philly's Main Line). But maybe Oakmont would work for you? It's like a Jenkintown or Narberth, but a bit more off the beaten path, so there's less traffic.

Monroeville, unfortunately, is the worst of both worlds when it comes to sprawl and congestion.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Oakmont fits your description perfectly. It's 24 minutes from Monroeville.

Old 04-30-2014, 04:38 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,611,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
There is a TON of retail out there,
but most of it has seen better days. Lots of vacancies and crumbling stores
(though Monroeville Mall itself remains in pretty decent shape).
That's ridiculous. I would guess 90% of Monroeville retail has been renovated within the last 10 years, and I would bet that the retail occupancy rate is 98%. Have you actually been there or are you just making stuff up.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
But maybe Oakmont would work for you? It's like a Jenkintown or Narberth, but a bit more off the beaten path, so there's less traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Oakmont fits your description perfectly. It's 24 minutes from Monroeville.
Here's a third nod for Oakmont. Sure, some will come on here shortly to say "ZOMG! The schools are wretched!" With that being said while the Riverview Public School District is certainly not the creme-de-la-creme of the metro area it's perfectly fine.

We're a mid-20s gay couple, and we love Oakmont. It wouldn't be a bad commute to my office in the East End of the city proper, but it would be a bad commute for my partner's office on the North Side, which is why we've been staying put where we currently reside. We do love the town, though; it truly is idyllic and quaint without having the slight aura of pretense you can glean from Sewickley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh