Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 01:45 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,872,503 times

Advertisements

or how bout we start with turning the HOV into a 2-way Busway.... Would get more use than what it does now.....

Build a Massive Transportation Center at the current Ross P-N-R, build a SHV style PNR Garage with Street level Commuter Retail. Funnel both Express and Local buses to terminal.... Create a P1/P2/P3 style routing 1 for Direct Service to Town, the Other to Oakland. Even a Reverse Commute Express from Town to Cranberry could make one stop at Ross to pick up commuters going North to work, so people wouldn't need to go all the way downtown, or have to drive all the way up north.

This is would improve Transportation availability to the North Hills immensely. It'll take people where they want/need to go efficiently, and it shouldn't cost several billions and take eons to build like Light Rail pipe dreams since most of the infrastructure is already in place.

The same with the East Busway... Extend it to Monroeville.... Build a massive Transportation Center, extend P1/P2/P3.... Create Direct Express Buses that will skip all stops in between. Funnel some Crosstown Routes to/through the Center.

PAT, the County and the State are NOT going to expand light rail, the money and the politics just aren't there. I would love it if it was a possibility, but its not. I like to work within the realms of Reality and what can feasibility be done in our life time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 04:00 PM

10,223 posts, read 16,775,275 times
what annoys me about the p1 et al is less that they dont go to monroeville but that non operate through to the west busway.

Old 07-06-2014, 04:11 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,872,503 times
I would agree for a East West Busway singular route... But for it work best PAT would need to run the West Busway all the way Downtown. Having to run local on Carson and Ft Bridge bottlenecks prone's the route to significant delays.

Create Bus Lanes on Liberty and Stanwix....with the P1 only stopping at Gateway Ctr, Wood Street, 10th/Wm Penn, and Penn Station.

I would much perfer this to be on the fast track over the Oakland BRT. Oakland BRT isn't really needed, just remove stops on 5th and Forbes to allow for faster travel... re-loop the buses Downtown, and keep the 71's on 5th Outbound. 61's will stay on Forbes.

Old 07-06-2014, 06:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,231,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
or how bout we start with turning the HOV into a 2-way Busway.... Would get more use than what it does now.....

PAT, the County and the State are NOT going to expand light rail, the money and the politics just aren't there. I would love it if it was a possibility, but its not. I like to work within the realms of Reality and what can feasibility be done in our life time.

I don't think there are really that many buses that use the HOV lane, such a move might result in less usage. The park and ride lots that the HOV services are already pretty well full to capacity every day.

Rapid bus lanes, including trips to Monroeville or to McKeesport could be a good idea worthy of consideration. Its a whole lot cheaper- how much $$ should the taxpayers spend on people's commutes anyhow- and has a lot more flexibility than a fixed rail system. If the future brings robust employment growth to the Turtle Creek Valley, the bus alternative will provide a quicker response.

Old 07-07-2014, 09:08 AM

338 posts, read 445,740 times
Priority for a T line

1. Airport
2. Extension from station square to south side over to OAK & Squirrel Hill
3. Extension from Downtown to Strip, Lawrenceville

Old 07-07-2014, 09:22 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,875,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Priority for a T line

1. Airport
That would sure be nice. Pittsburgh would be a much better place if people didn't have to drive to the airport and pay for parking.

Last edited by gg; 07-07-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 07-07-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I would agree for a East West Busway singular route... But for it work best PAT would need to run the West Busway all the way Downtown. Having to run local on Carson and Ft Bridge bottlenecks prone's the route to significant delays.

Create Bus Lanes on Liberty and Stanwix....with the P1 only stopping at Gateway Ctr, Wood Street, 10th/Wm Penn, and Penn Station.

I would much perfer this to be on the fast track over the Oakland BRT. Oakland BRT isn't really needed, just remove stops on 5th and Forbes to allow for faster travel... re-loop the buses Downtown, and keep the 71's on 5th Outbound. 61's will stay on Forbes.
it would appear to me that the west busway and the T extension were the same plan but built with two different modes. the north shore extension could not line up better with the west busway. is this the case? was this supposed to be a T line that got built as a busway? would it be worth extending the T across the river to create a transfer station whereby west busway passengers can transfer to the T to get to the north shore/downtown?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:57 AM

14,362 posts, read 16,949,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
it would appear to me that the west busway and the T extension were the same plan but built with two different modes. the north shore extension could not line up better with the west busway. is this the case? was this supposed to be a T line that got built as a busway? would it be worth extending the T across the river to create a transfer station whereby west busway passengers can transfer to the T to get to the north shore/downtown?
My understanding (from a friend of a friend who worked for the Port Authority) is the "secret plan" was always to take the T to the airport, but they didn't have the right-of-way on the southern side of the river, and so had to cross the river (ultimately, twice if the plans follow through).

Whether this meant a very short crossing, going right from Allegheny Station to the West Busway, is another question entirely I do not know the answer to.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My understanding (from a friend of a friend who worked for the Port Authority) is the "secret plan" was always to take the T to the airport, but they didn't have the right-of-way on the southern side of the river, and so had to cross the river (ultimately, twice if the plans follow through).

Whether this meant a very short crossing, going right from Allegheny Station to the West Busway, is another question entirely I do not know the answer to.
a line from the airport to downtown (and perhaps oakland) via the north shore makes a good bit of sense even if the implemenation has been splotchy. if that is the ultimate goal then extending the t across the river to the busway makes a good bit of long term sense. a T via the west busway would seem to be the path of least resistance

Old 07-07-2014, 10:55 AM

632 posts, read 851,017 times
Great idea. But an insanely expensive one.

Sure would be nice to have some of that money in the bank that we used to build the
World's Most Expensive Tunnel* (*per linear foot)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh