Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times

Advertisements

Ran and completed my first marathon today. What an event! The city really turned out to cheer everyone on and give some awesome encouragement. This was one of best run events that I've been apart of in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,774,703 times
Congratulations! It's an amazing event, isnt it? It seems like the whole city comes out to support the runners. I especially like the turn onto the Warhol Bridge where a huge, loud crowd always gathers, and of course the mob cheering everyone on down the stretch to the finish line. It's impossible not to get pumped up by that.

There were some fun costumes too. One Luke Skywalker with Yoda on his back and a guy in full Forrest Gump running garb, including the long beard and hair. Just a fun day for all.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:21 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
I had a great time handing out cups and cups of Gatorade at Western and Allegheny this morning. I would rather have been running myself but it was a blast helping out the runners. Everyone seemed to be having a great time and the four hours (5:30 - 9:30) just flew by.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:32 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,254,431 times
They should really make the marathon a bit more challenging by including some of Pittsburgh's more hilly neighborhoods. Running the marathon Rialto St. to visit Troy Hill, up Greenleaf to Mt Washington and up Brushton Ave. to Lincoln would make completion of the race a lot more of a challenge

Old 05-04-2014, 05:44 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,242,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
They should really make the marathon a bit more challenging by including some of Pittsburgh's more hilly neighborhoods. Running the marathon Rialto St. to visit Troy Hill, up Greenleaf to Mt Washington and up Brushton Ave. to Lincoln would make completion of the race a lot more of a challenge
You're not a marathon runner, are you?

Out of town this weekend but know a few folks who ran - they had a blast. Sounds a great community day.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:35 PM

697 posts, read 777,862 times
Congrats on the marathon!
My Sq Hill and Point Breeze friends said there were bands at Linden and at Reynolds and they loved cheering on the runners.
We saw lots of runners and fans at the Gateway subway station on way to Pirate game.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:49 PM

480 posts, read 611,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
That's really not a good idea.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:58 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,588,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pghuser View Post
That's really not a good idea.
No, it really isn't. Anyway, I finished the half and am still limping slowly around the house.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:16 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
No, it really isn't. Anyway, I finished the half and am still limping slowly around the house.
Plus, I was just looking at the news, on which the number one story was the marathon. They did a smaller story about a guy who died of CHF while running last year's marathon, with just one more mile to go. His family and friends had an outdoor pancake breakfast for him this year. His father ran the last mile for his son this morning. I was verklempt.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:21 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
My upstairs neighbor ran the half-marathon and shaved 20 minutes off her time from the last one she did! It's inspired me to set a goal to run in next year's half-marathon myself! Congratulations to all who competed today!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh