Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM

338 posts, read 444,652 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when Smoke is opening in Lawrenceville and where it is going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
I'm aware of what Wylie Holdings has done to the neighborhood. Thankfully his grasp has somewhat lessened in recent years. New construction infill retail is opening up possibilities which were not there only a few years ago.

As to "abandoned" storefronts, here are a few examples

Probably an old neighborhood bar across from the mill.
Facade has since been fixed up. Now apartments.
I love this one. I have no idea what's going on here.
Apartments
The facade here has been restored properly, but it's a home now.
Apartments owned by Wylie Holdings.
I think this is occupied.
Used to store junk.
Apartments.
Apartments
Not really sure what happens here.
I think this one has been rehabbed.
Nicely redone, but someone's house.
Another rehab which has become a large single-family house.

I could probably find another ten or so if I tried. My impression is there are less of them up on the slope, and I certainly don't know of many in Lower or Central Lawrenceville. But there are tons of (semi)vacant storefronts to go around.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:32 PM

618 posts, read 687,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
Not sure where, but they just closed down in Homestead. They are shooting for a mid-June opening, depending upon how things are going. Love the place and was sad to see it leave Homestead.

Old 05-15-2014, 02:40 PM

14,361 posts, read 16,879,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatty5011 View Post
It's going to open in part of the old "Star Discount" building...the left storefront, IIRC. The right will be a bottle shop (mix and match beer like D's in Regent Square) and the middle will be the entrance to Row House Cinema.

Old 05-15-2014, 03:23 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,074,223 times
Ok, I realize that the Southside is hated by everyone over 30 who watches the local news and thinks its party central and not the great neighborhood it actually is.

However, let's not forget that Friendship is technically not even a real neighborhood, its basically a part of Bloomfield. It doesn't even have a business district. People are choosing it because of all of the stuff that is happening around it, but not actually in the neighborhood.

Imagine if the neighborhoods were islands and by living in them you could only visit the neighborhood businesses contained within their borders, how many of you would vote for Friendship then?

So yeah, I think Friendship should be disqualified.

*End homer rant*

Old 05-15-2014, 03:31 PM

618 posts, read 687,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
Ok, I realize that the Southside is hated by everyone over 30 who watches the local news and thinks its party central and not the great neighborhood it actually is.

However, let's not forget that Friendship is technically not even a real neighborhood, its basically a part of Bloomfield. It doesn't even have a business district. People are choosing it because of all of the stuff that is happening around it, but not actually in the neighborhood.

Imagine if the neighborhoods were islands and by living in them you could only visit the neighborhood businesses contained within their borders, how many of you would vote for Friendship then?

*End homer rant*
The stuff around it make it an attractive neighborhood you want to live in. You live there, enjoy the surroundings. It's situated between three business districts and has gorgeous housing stock, though subdivided, and offers access to just as much if not more to do than the South Side. I see the merits of both and really enjoy the South Side, but in no way should Friendship be disqualified.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:38 PM

876 posts, read 1,138,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post

*End homer rant*
Friendship is not just an add-on to Bloomfield: it's a very distinctive neighborhoods that runs from Gross Street to Negley Ave, between Penn, Liberty, and Baum. The city's definition of it is utterly irrelevant to the people who live there (and to the people who live in Bloomfield proper).

If one prefers dingy old mill housing with concrete slabs for "back yards" over stunning early 20th century architecture with verdant yards, gardens, and tree-lined streets, then sure, the South Side would have it all over Friendship.

Despite my dislike for Pittsburgh's rowhouse 'hoods (outside of the North Side) I'm not a South Side hater by any means (Games N'at, Zenith Brunch, and OTB always keep me coming back) but it's not in the same stratosphere as Friendship. Few neighborhoods are.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM

912 posts, read 1,723,548 times
5) Beechview
2) Lawrenceville

12) Central Northside
15) Strip District

1)Oakland
2) Shadyside

Picking Oakland for the fact that if I lived there, I could walk to work, and that's a big plus for me. Also, Las Palmas.

1) South Side
15) Friendship

I can't believe people are picking Friendship over the South Side. Don't let the media fool you, it's an amazing place to live. Yeah, there are like 6 hours a week when Carson St can be a little crazy, but it's really not a big deal. I live a block off Carson and I can't hear any of the shenanigans. I can walk everywhere, we've got an excellent riverfront trail and a great variety of restaurants.

#teamsouthside

Old 05-15-2014, 04:42 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Friendship is the only neighborhood I lived where my car was stolen. We found it up on blocks in the Garfield woods. I love Friendship. I truly do. But it's proximity to Garfield is a downside if we're going to talk about what's surrounding the neighborhood.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:52 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,963,077 times
When was that, Hopes? I lived there in the '90s and had my car broken into and knew lots of folks who had them stolen but it seems to be a very different place these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh