Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 10:07 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times

Advertisements

So my dojo is working on hosting a very important Shihan for an aikido (martial art) seminar next year. This would be a really big deal for us and a very special event, as I would be taking my black belt test that weekend. I will be the first student that my teachers have trained from the beginning up to shodan and to have that test at our home dojo would be the icing on the cake. Otherwise I will be testing at another dojo next spring in front of this shihan. Everyone in the dojo is eager to find a way to make this seminar happen. However, we have a small problem that I though maybe CD members could help me with.

Our dojo is a very small space and would simply not be large enough to handle the 30-50 people who would turn up for the seminar. We could get a larger space in our building for the weekend which would work well but have the trouble of needing additional gym matting for the floor. In aikido we take a lot of falls so training on a hardwood gym floor without mats is out of the question.

We would prefer not to buy mats since we rarely host such large events and would have no need of them in the future, not to mention we lack a place to store them long term. We would ideally like to find a local place we could borrow or rent them from but are so far coming up empty on such places in the area.

So I thought I would put the question out there and see if the helpful people here had any ideas on a good source of some gym mats for rent or loan.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 11:06 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Can you borrow some from other dojos?
High school wrestling mats.... are they similar? If so, would that be a source for you?
Gymnastic mats?

Old 05-11-2014, 12:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'd call other martial arts studios, gymnasiums, and schools.

If you can't find any who will rent the mats, look for a place that will let you rent the room with the mats. I'm thinking Catholic schools could be the ideal place to rent mats or rent the gym with the mats. Don't call the school. Call the pastor of the church affiliated with the school. They are all about making a buck every way they can. For example, St. Raphael in Morningside uses its old church as a gym. They hold the bingos there and rents it out to anyone for events, including an adult basketball team. They rent out chairs to people to use when they need extra seating at home for holiday dinners. I don't know if they own gym mats, but I'm certain they would rent them out if they do. Check any school. Even the private schools like Winchester Thurston might help you out.

Old 05-11-2014, 12:13 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Good luck on your black belt test!

Old 05-11-2014, 03:05 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
We used to work with a small indie wrestling outfit and we always ran out of local high school gyms. You pay rent, and in turn your get to use their facilities and rest rooms. You have to leave the place as clean as you found it, but it never cost us more than a couple hundred bucks. And they usually have tons of mats.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,304 times
Thanks for the thoughts. We already considered checking other local dojos but this probably would not work since it would disrupt their own weekend class schedules. Checking into high school gyms seems like a good idea. I will mention that to my teachers.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax View Post
Thanks for the thoughts. We already considered checking other local dojos but this probably would not work since it would disrupt their own weekend class schedules. Checking into high school gyms seems like a good idea. I will mention that to my teachers.
The other plus -- we used to get local pizza or sandwich places to work the concessions for the cash and the free advertising. That way there was food and drink, and we didn't have to pay for it. We'd make a program (really inexpensive to do with your own computer and nice paper) and sell some ad space here and there and sometimes make enough to break even, after paying the guys.

Most often, we'd end up a couple hundred in the hole. We could afford that.... although I was really happy to get out of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh