Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 06:28 AM

2 posts, read 6,176 times

Advertisements

I am moving at the end of this month and am trying to decide whether to keep my Comcast or switch to Verizon FIOS or DirectTV. I'm moving from the 15108 zipcode to the 15136 zipcode. I currently live in an apartment complex and due to line of sight, I was not able to get DirectTV, which I had in NY prior to moving here in October, so I got Comcast. I see threads back from 2012 that seemed to be pro Verizon FIOS and want to see if that is still the general consensus. I work from home and Internet access with great uptime is important. Seems with Comcast I am constantly having to reset my modem. I don't have any complaints with TV. I see some complain that with FIOS, the picture freezes?

Anyone in the Robinson Township/McKees Rocks area have experience I can draw on to help reach my decision?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 06:34 AM

674 posts, read 1,412,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysti926 View Post
I am moving at the end of this month and am trying to decide whether to keep my Comcast or switch to Verizon FIOS or DirectTV. I'm moving from the 15108 zipcode to the 15136 zipcode. I currently live in an apartment complex and due to line of sight, I was not able to get DirectTV, which I had in NY prior to moving here in October, so I got Comcast. I see threads back from 2012 that seemed to be pro Verizon FIOS and want to see if that is still the general consensus. I work from home and Internet access with great uptime is important. Seems with Comcast I am constantly having to reset my modem. I don't have any complaints with TV. I see some complain that with FIOS, the picture freezes?

Anyone in the Robinson Township/McKees Rocks area have experience I can draw on to help reach my decision?
I'm not in Robinson, but nearby. I've had all three. DirecTV was the worst for outages and poor customer service. Comcast next (terrible installers). We've had nothing but fabulous things to say about FIOS. Only 1 outage I can remember... issues a few times that we thought were outage but someone tripped a breaker in the house (so it was a non-FIOS issue).

Old 05-13-2014, 06:57 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
They all have their little tricks to keep increasing your bills. My Fios bill when from $99 to $165 over time and my Comcast when from $105 to now $123 and it will no doubt get to the magic $160+ number. Fios wants me back and is offering some $99 thing again and they guarantee it for two years, so I might switch back after being with Comcast for about 8 months. I did like no contract with Comcast to allow me to leave. Fios wants a 2 year deal or pay $10 a month for no contract.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:25 AM

540 posts, read 868,285 times
I've also had all 3. My experience with Directv's customer service is the opposite of Burghgirl's, they were always very accommodating and responsive to any issues we had. They did have the most outages, but most of those were during the 8 years we had them in Houston, which has severe thunderstorms more often. For the three years we had Directv in Pittsburgh, it probably only went out because of weather 2 or 3 times while we were trying to watch. Their biggest downside is that they don't have a internet component. You can bundle it with FIOS internet for a very small discount, but the FIOS bundle with its own TV is a better deal. We initially got them due to their exclusive deal with NFL Sunday Ticket (we were in Houston and wanted to watch the Steelers), but now that we're back here, that's not an issue. We eventually switched from them because the bills just got too high.

We had Comcast in our rental house for 8 months. I was telecommuting at the time and had many issues with the internet intermittently dropping off. Repeated calls, modem replacements, and service visits made no improvement. I also hate their door-to-door salesmen pestering the neighborhood every few months.

We switched to FIOS for everything a few years ago (we had internet/phone with them while we had Directv for TV) and have generally been happy. I don't like being forced to have a home phone to get the cheapest prices, but that's a minor issue for me. We're currently having some internet drop-off issues, but it may just be a bad modem.

Curtis is right about the bills, they may start low with any of the services, but they constantly rise once they get you subscribed. The best way to keep them low is to switch every 2 years or so when your contract is up.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,718,517 times
I got Comcast when I moved into my home in 2007. Then it was $40 a month just for internet. In 2014 it is $65 just for internet and the service is noticeably worse and has not improved after multiple calls to them.

So yeah, $25 dollar a month increase for worse service and I have no other broadband alternatives available. Murica.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM

19 posts, read 25,376 times
They are all awful, but Verizon is the least awful (imo).

Old 05-13-2014, 09:49 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
They all have their little tricks to keep increasing your bills. My Fios bill when from $99 to $165 over time and my Comcast when from $105 to now $123 and it will no doubt get to the magic $160+ number. Fios wants me back and is offering some $99 thing again and they guarantee it for two years, so I might switch back after being with Comcast for about 8 months. I did like no contract with Comcast to allow me to leave. Fios wants a 2 year deal or pay $10 a month for no contract.
This sums it up. All these companies only care about getting new customers, and charge exorbitant rates after 2 years or so to reward you for your loyalty. I've been with Fios over 3 years now and my bill is now $160 for just internet and cable (extreme HD package) after starting out at about $95/month.

But as far as the actual service goes, Fios is the best imo. The network is almost never down and outages are rare. Picture quality is superb. Internet speed is rock solid all the time. I had more issues when I had Comcast. But I will reluctantly switch to Comcast soon just to lower my price for awhile, then come back to Fios when I am considered a "new customer" again so I can take advantage of the lower rates. It's all so stupid.

Old 05-13-2014, 09:54 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,008,001 times
My FIOS price has never gone up, it's stayed around $95 for internet and TV each time I've re-signed the contract (just re-signed for the third time). The cost of set-top boxes adds to that price, but that was the case the very first time I signed up too.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,874 times
It stopped working for me, but (depending on what rep you get on the phone) if you call Comcast and threaten to quit they might suddenly find new coupons for you.

Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,645,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krysti926 View Post

I live in Crafton not far from Robinson/McKees Rocks, and have Directv. I like it a lot. I had Comcast for a short time when I lived in SF. Didn't like it at all for TV. I have Comcast for internet and haven't had any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh