Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:45 AM

697 posts, read 778,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You forgot to assume his religion and insult Catholics.
Yes, there is always the other side of the bed to wake up on! (not grammatically correct but suits the point).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:48 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,834,660 times
Quote:
In this case, it was irrelevant, although I no longer listen to their dogma, either. He was just another self-important idiot who overstepped his bounds, and he automatically had to tell the little woman what she should do. I found it startling, and also very rude, that when I went in to place an order, those were the first words out of his mouth. I don't try to argue with smalltown fools anymore. Hey, if the idiot doesn't want to sell, it's fine by me. If you went to a car dealer with cash in hand to buy a new Caddy, would you not be insulted if the owners or employees immediately got in a huff (for no apparent reason) and questioned why you even want to buy a Caddy, as if you can't possibly make a correct decision on your own? That attitude will get you a steel toe boot in the buttocks from me, and I won't even apologize, Daddy-O.

Remember, I joined this forum to talk about architecture, and business, and sci and tech, and to get away from all the religion and small town homemakers and incessant childrearing, because I've been done with that for years. That's just the way it is.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:50 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Ethnic Catholics, more specifically.

See also The Know Nothing Movement.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:53 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,594,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
...incessant childrearing...
Intermittent childrearing is a crime in most cases.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:11 PM

9,336 posts, read 13,004,813 times
Quote:
Intermittent childrearing is a crime in most cases.
LOLOLOL

Wish I could rep you for that, brother.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:14 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
In this case, it was irrelevant, although I no longer listen to their dogma, either. He was just another self-important idiot who overstepped his bounds, and he automatically had to tell the little woman what she should do. I found it startling, and also very rude, that when I went in to place an order, those were the first words out of his mouth. I don't try to argue with smalltown fools anymore. Hey, if the idiot doesn't want to sell, it's fine by me. If you went to a car dealer with cash in hand to buy a new Caddy, would you not be insulted if the owners or employees immediately got in a huff (for no apparent reason) and questioned why you even want to buy a Caddy, as if you can't possibly make a correct decision on your own? That attitude will get you a steel toe boot in the buttocks from me, and I won't even apologize, Daddy-O.

Remember, I joined this forum to talk about architecture, and business, and sci and tech, and to get away from all the religion and small town homemakers and incessant childrearing, because I've been done with that for years. That's just the way it is.
Gee, I was hoping to discuss roller skating and roller derby in this thread. Your reasons for joining the forum and your distaste for a variety of people is a fascinating subject for its own thread.

Thanks for sharing your passion for roller skating. I'm not ready to take it to parks. I need to start out in the rink first. Even then, I haven't skated on pavement since the 70s, and it was a bumpy adventure.

Old 05-17-2014, 12:20 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
Well, Hopes, I'll talk roller skating witcha. When I was three, I started skating on a third-floor back porch on 2"x6"s with a space between each one. By the time I was nine, I had gone through three pair of metal street skates. You know, the kind with the clamps and the skate key that hung around your neck on a dirty string. I skated from the time my homework was finished until I got called in for supper.

When I was 12, I got a pair of fine Chicago precisions and a nifty case to carry back and forth to the roller rink. (The Carmen in Philadelphia PA) Skated there every weekend. Met my first boyfriend there. At fifteen, I was on the racing team. Got my nose broken when I flipped over the metal railing.

At seventeen, I did a foolish thing and got married and had kids and never skated again. Until my #4 son was in sixth grade and the PT-A held a skating party at a new rink. (In Kingston PA) I went with him and realized I hadn't lost my chops. After a few times going to Saturday mornings with the kids and a couple of late-night adult sessions, I saved up enough to buy a new pair of skates. I skated Tuesday morning Housewives Session; Friday Night Adult (11PM) Session; Saturday morning with the kids. I lost 12 pounds. I had a great time. But I was smart enough NOT to put my name on any racing lists.

It's been ten years, one heart surgery and one bout with cancer since I skated last. I'm 78 and that's the one thing I want to do before I go. So skate as long as you can. That's me you hear cheering.

Old 05-17-2014, 02:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
It's been ten years, one heart surgery and one bout with cancer since I skated last. I'm 78 and that's the one thing I want to do before I go. So skate as long as you can. That's me you hear cheering.
Wow! Thank you for sharing your story!

I was never a racer. I could skate backwards and do a few turns. That's about it. I have fond memories of skating. I met one of my teenage boyfriends skating too. He was from Sharpsburg. He'd pick me up and we'd stop at a fast food place, get an extra large coke, mix whisky in it, and take it into the rink with us. Good times. We broke up a year later, and I started dating someone else from the rink who was even more from the wrong side of the tracks than the first one. It drove my parents crazy.

I skated again my mid-20s in Harrisburg with a girlfriend but never did again once I was back in Pittsburgh until I was a mom. I loved skating birthday parties. I'd take the kids skating whenever they wanted. There's such a small window of opportunity when children allow their parents to hang out with them. My husband and I went skating at Seven Springs a few years ago. It really is like riding a bicycle.

I'm going to give it a try again. The best exercise is doing things we enjoy.

I hope you get to skate once more. If you need someone to take you, I'll drive over to NEPA even if you can only go 10 feet. I'm serious. Just send me a DM. We can make arrangements for an empty rink.

Old 05-18-2014, 06:45 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,952,121 times
lol Thanks for the offer, Hope. I'd love to get together with you for a "play date". I'm pretty sure I could manage more than a few turns around the floor. There's a rink in Wilkes-Barre that is open on Wednesday during the day. That's the day they get their deliveries (supplies for the snack bar) and since someone has to be there to receive, they figure they might as well open the doors.

I keep thinking I'm heading over some Wednesday, but by the time I remember it's Weds., it's Thursday!

I'm blessed to still be pretty mobile - mobile walk every day (well, mostly...), take care of yard work, mind grandchildren, etc.. I'm thinking I'll put a big red circle on the calendar this week and I'll let you know what happens.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 05-18-2014 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: Submitted before I was ready. A bad habit.

Old 05-18-2014, 04:14 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,800,836 times
Amazing thread. I went skating last night.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh