Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:30 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,053,895 times

Advertisements

I posted the opposite question in the Grand Rapids metro forum. But I ask for relocation purposes. I am getting a job offer in Pittsburgh and another one in Grand Rapids, MI. They are essentially the same job and wages to cost of living factors in as the same (i.e. the Grand Rapids job makes less money but the cost of living in Grand Rapids is much less than Pittsburgh).

If anyone here has been to Grand Rapids, how do you compare it with Pittsburgh? I have been to Grand Rapids before as well as Pittsburgh. I have been weighing out my options and these two cities are very hard to compare to the point that it seems like a toss up. They really have nothing in common and both have many upsides and very few downfalls. Climate wise they are different (Pittsburgh is milder whereas Grand Rapids is cold). Their topography is night and day (any "hills" in Grand Rapids are low grade inclines with no staircases). The cultures are vastly different. Different ethnic groups comprise either city. I guess they are different enough but not exactly opposites. Like I said, few downfalls, mostly upsides. Both have great and friendly people, both have low crime rates, both have a small town feel and both are not overly populated. Neither is really known for sunshine, either.

Can anyone really compare these two or know any websites that compare them?

If you have been to Grand Rapids, would you go live there or choose Pittsburgh assuming those were the only two cities you had to choose? I know Pittsburgh people are much prouder of being from Pittsburgh than Grand Rapidians are proud of being from Grand Rapids. Pittsburgh is a fine city after all.

Anyway, any good websites out there for comparing cities or just personal experience?

Last edited by Yac; 11-05-2020 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 05:10 AM

1,173 posts, read 2,186,759 times
I have only been in the suburbs of Grand Rapids, not downtown. I have heard good things about it, but can't comment. I will comment that Grand Rapids is about 30 minutes from the Lake Michigan shoreline and one of the most underrated beaches in the US. Lots of recreational opportunities there if you are interested in outdoor activities. I tried to convince my wife to consider western Michigan as a relocation destination but she wouldn't go for it. It's one of the few places in the US I would consider leaving Pittsburgh for, though I am much more familiar with NW Michigan (Traverse City, Manistee, Sleeping Bear Dunes) than Grand Rapids.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:43 AM

697 posts, read 778,076 times
Gosh, it seems like you've had a lot of time to consider these offers. Lucky you!

If they are rated similarly, maybe decide based on which one felt right when you visited? If you know people in either city already, moving there would give you an established connection.

If you have particular interests (biking, museums, pro sports, etc.) you could see which one offers more opportunities.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:01 AM

632 posts, read 1,070,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I posted the opposite question in the Grand Rapids metro forum. But I ask for relocation purposes. I am getting a job offer in Pittsburgh and another one in Grand Rapids, MI. They are essentially the same job and wages to cost of living factors in as the same (i.e. the Grand Rapids job makes less money but the cost of living in Grand Rapids is much less than Pittsburgh).

If anyone here has been to Grand Rapids, how do you compare it with Pittsburgh? I have been to Grand Rapids before as well as Pittsburgh. I have been weighing out my options and these two cities are very hard to compare to the point that it seems like a toss up. They really have nothing in common and both have many upsides and very few downfalls. Climate wise they are different (Pittsburgh is milder whereas Grand Rapids is cold). Their topography is night and day (any "hills" in Grand Rapids are low grade inclines with no staircases). The cultures are vastly different. Different ethnic groups comprise either city. I guess they are different enough but not exactly opposites. Like I said, few downfalls, mostly upsides. Both have great and friendly people, both have low crime rates, both have a small town feel and both are not overly populated. Neither is really known for sunshine, either.

If you have been to Grand Rapids, would you go live there or choose Pittsburgh assuming those were the only two cities you had to choose? I know Pittsburgh people are much prouder of being from Pittsburgh than Grand Rapidians are proud of being from Grand Rapids. Pittsburgh is a fine city after all.

Anyway, any good websites out there for comparing cities or just personal experience?
I'll chime in as Im from MI and went to school up there. Its a much smaller feeling city, not really much of a downtown outside of the hospital. The bad areas are cleaning up fast. Cool little bar scene of you're into that with an awesome craft beer scene. Founders, Hopcat, etc. A lot less blue collar crowd than here. The hospital, universities and new business are helping bring in young professionals. No major sports teams, just the Griffins (hockey), the minor league baseball team, and GVSU sports. And Davenport Rugby (!)

The climate - it gets a lesser lake effect snow than Buffalo, but is hit pretty hard each winter. Cold, yes. But in the spring/summer/fall its beautiful and in great proximity to a lot of outdoor activities - the dunes, Traverse City, Holland, etc.

I'd personally be fine with living in either city. Theyre just different...i dont really know how to describe it any further than above.

Private message me with any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer.

Last edited by Yac; 11-06-2020 at 02:31 AM..

Old 05-17-2014, 09:07 AM

146 posts, read 216,010 times
I'm from SE Michigan, which is the other side of the state from Grand Rapids (in more ways than on the map), so take what I have to say as an outsider's perspective.

There are a lot nice things about Grand Rapids, as others have said, so I won't recap them beyond saying that I agree. It's a smaller feel for everything than Pittsburgh. Culturally, from sports teams to the arts, it has good regional-level organizations as opposed to national/international level organizations that Pittsburgh has. I grew up visiting there, and have several high school friends who ended up settling down there. I think it's a perfectly nice place to live.

That said, I'd never want to live there myself. That side of the state is far to culturally/politically/socially conservative for me to feel comfortable. But that goes to the vibe/feel of the place, which is entirely a personal matter. Plenty of people will not be bothered by that aspect of western Michigan.

Old 05-17-2014, 05:36 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,034,334 times
Grand Rapids is a much smaller (but still urban and historic) city than Pittsburgh, and is also much more socially and politically conservative than Pittsburgh. Grand Rapids has fared better than most Michigan cities during the economy downturn, but is still more depressed than Pittsburgh. However, Grand Rapids has seen much less population decline overall than Pittsburgh. It is easier to find another job in Pennsylvania than it is in Michigan, if you were ever to lose your job. Pittsburgh is a big metro and jobs are rather plentiful. It can be difficult to find work in Michigan, to say the least. That area of Michigan is rather affluent compared to other parts of the state.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:56 AM

Would those of you who said Grand Rapids was conservative socially say that Pittsburgh is more progressive culturally (i.e. like Seattle or Portland?)

I know Pittsburgh is more Democrat (though apparently the city is 42% Republican which to a Chicagoan is super huge). But it seems it's more blue collar worker's rights Democrat than culturally liberal. Though I could be wrong.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:35 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
I know Pittsburgh is more Democrat (though apparently the city is 42% Republican which to a Chicagoan is super huge). But it seems it's more blue collar worker's rights Democrat than culturally liberal. Though I could be wrong.
Where are you getting these numbers? There is no way in the world that the city of Pittsburgh has 42% Republican registration.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:01 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,348,090 times
I have spent a good amount of time in GR, and the city feels BIBLE BELT to the extreme. The Dutch Reformed Church culture dominates the area, and it is a very conservative area. It is also noticeably smaller than Pittsburgh, you drive 10 minutes from the CBD and you are in farm country again. Grand Rapids is more comparable to Akron, Dayton or Toledo than it is Pittsburgh. Also, the cost of living there is not much less than what you can get for parts of the Pittsburgh metro. Just my 2 cents

Old 05-18-2014, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escilade18 View Post
I have spent a good amount of time in GR, and the city feels BIBLE BELT to the extreme. The Dutch Reformed Church culture dominates the area, and it is a very conservative area. It is also noticeably smaller than Pittsburgh, you drive 10 minutes from the CBD and you are in farm country again. Grand Rapids is more comparable to Akron, Dayton or Toledo than it is Pittsburgh. Also, the cost of living there is not much less than what you can get for parts of the Pittsburgh metro. Just my 2 cents
Very true. Although GR and Pittsburgh are comparable in terms of cost of living, Pittsburgh is slightly more expensive when you factor in cost of transportation and food. GR is slightly cheaper, but not by much.

By the way, steindle, I went to Sperling's Best Places and that is where I found that Pittsburgh is 42% Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: