Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 09:32 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,480,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
I do not have nearly 40,000 posts, and I strive to write only about those topics that I have an actual working knowledge. It is true that that I had worked within the North Allegheny School District throughout my long educational and coaching careers, but I have also worked in dozens of other Western Pennsylvania school districts, as well. My insights are probably more unique, as I feel that can offer a working perspective that goes beyond what can be read on the internet.

To the OP- You owe it to yourself to explore the advantages and disadvantages of each of the communities that you have listed. Although it has been quite a few years since I purchased my home in McCandless, we explored the same venues that you did (plus Pine-Richland and Hampton). We did not wish to be near the main corridor in the Mars community (route 228), so we made a lot deposit on a lot off Myoma Road. Fortunately for us, we opted not to see this through. Beyond the outdated road structure, exaggerated construction costs, and the iron-laden well water, we were forced to choose another lot. We liked the fact that our taxes were slated to be lower in Mars/Adams Township, but the prices per square foot to build, the postage stamp lots, the crazy road structures, and the lower standard school district (at that time) forced us to re-examine our options in Allegheny County.

Although each community has its own advantages and disadvantages, the McCandless Township area held the most appeal to us. We were quite surprised to find that we could get a whole lot more house and lot size, for the money, in McCandless than in either Cranberry or Adams Township. We did a ton of research and found that the school district was among the best not only in the region, but in the country. We liked the fact that a large county park with many of its free/inexpensive activities served as a hub for the community. The local hospitals, transportation access, the colleges, shopping choices, the fantastic library and community activities for the kids added further appeal to us. We purchased a serene 3100 square foot brick home on 1 1/2 acres of land within 3 minutes of McKnight Road, and we have had no regrets since. Our real estate taxes originally were around $4500 annually, but today, are about $6500 (although, I am honestly under-assessed). Bottom line- kids received the highest quality public school education for the tax deductible property taxes, that is/was much cheaper than a comparable private academy education.
One would has to evaluate their potential tax liability based on the an assessed value that is basically the same as their sales price. People that have been in their houses for years generally pay less in better school districts of Allegheny County since their assessments are frequently low.

In the grand scheme of things, our taxes are worth it if you have live in a quality school district. On the other hand, their are plenty of people that want to save money. Just a guess but I bet we would save about 3000 if we move to Butler County. In my opinion, it isn't worth it.

I can see paying 12,000 a year in taxes but anything more would make me think long and hard about whether or not I really need/want that big house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
In the grand scheme of things, our taxes are worth it if you have live in a quality school district. On the other hand, their are plenty of people that want to save money. Just a guess but I bet we would save about 3000 if we move to Butler County. In my opinion, it isn't worth it.
It wouldn't be worth it to me either because I wouldn't want to the long commute downtown; however, the OP's husband isn't working downtown. It sounds like he will be working in the Cranberry area. It makes perfect sense to find a home nearby. There are quality school districts outside of Allegheny County.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It wouldn't be worth it to me either because I wouldn't want to the long commute downtown; however, the OP's husband isn't working downtown. It sounds like he will be working in the Cranberry area. It makes perfect sense to find a home nearby. There are quality school districts outside of Allegheny County.
Agreed.

Cranberry is pretty convenient. Sits right on the Turnpike and 79.

However, it would be a pain to travel into the city on a regular basis. We spend a fair amount of time shopping in Shadyside and our pediatrician is in Squirrel Hill.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:54 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,073,268 times
Quote:
But but but, I thought we weren't supposed to tell people to move near to where they work? (citing the Beltway thread)

Old 05-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
But but but, I thought we weren't supposed to tell people to move near to where they work? (citing the Beltway thread)
That Beltway thread is out of touch with reality, isn't it?

Old 05-20-2014, 01:15 PM

12,527 posts, read 17,437,653 times
Quote:
We're talking in terms of school districts to make it easier for the OP to understand different areas since she asked about schools. Mars Area School District is Mars and Valencia Boroughs, Adams Township, Middlesex Township. Valencia Borough shouldn't be confused with the mailing zip code of Valencia, PA, because 10% of residences with a Valencia zip code are in the Pine Richland School District.
Yes, but the housing stock in Mars is nowhere near similar to 7 Fields and Cranberry.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Yes, but the housing stock in Mars is nowhere near similar to 7 Fields and Cranberry.
Of course, houses are built differently on Mars than here on Earth.

Old 05-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Housing is different in Seven Fields and Mars Borough, but the same Seven Fields type housing can be found in Mars Area School District. We've stumbled upon a suburban South Side vs. Friendship---weighing the importance of better housing or a walkable town with amenities. In this particular case, school district is a factor for the OP to consider. If she picks her school district, she can have either of the other scenarios in both school districts because both have neighborhoods with quality housing and both have some walkable towns with amenities with older housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Of course, houses are built differently on Mars than here on Earth.
Very well done!

Old 05-20-2014, 01:56 PM

32,603 posts, read 77,254,359 times
"My Maronda cul-de-sac is better than YOUR Maronda cul-de-sac, n'at!"

Old 05-20-2014, 02:19 PM

41,018 posts, read 17,992,158 times
Our gunshots and shootings are far less than your gunshots and shootings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh