Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 07:52 AM

103 posts, read 109,923 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am looking for a Tiger brand rice cooker, but specifically the one made in Japan and not in China. Don't ask me what is the difference, I dunno But I know that my rice cooking geek friends insist that the ones made in Japan are of better quality/more expensive. I need it as a gift to a special someone and I am out of time to order it online. Target carries the ones made in China. Williams Sonoma doesn't have Tiger brand. Sur La Table doesn't have it either. Where else can I look for it? Anybody has one, where did you buy it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 09:22 AM

11 posts, read 16,861 times
Default Mitsuwa New Jersey Store

I bought my rice cooker at the Japanese store in New Jersey called, Mitsuwa.

I didn't make a special trip there just for a rice cooker, but when I go to NYC or Philly, I stock up on supplies at Mitsuwa. They have Tiger cookers which are made in Japan. I would call to confirm.

Maybe you can still order online at a store of your choice, but pay for overnight or one day delivery?

Did you contact Tokyo Japanese Food Store in Shadyside to see if they know a place nearby that carries Tigers? Most seem to carry Zojirushi.

Good Luck!

Old 05-23-2014, 09:29 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,849,360 times
Amazon has two sizes, which they say are made in Japan, and they claim they can get it to you by tomorrow (go to checkout):

Amazon.com: Tiger JNP-S10U Electric 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Warmer with Stainless Steel Finish: Kitchen & Dining

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=507846

Old 05-23-2014, 09:34 AM

912 posts, read 1,726,502 times
Amazon has a bunch of the made in Japan models available. If you have prime, it's $10.99 shipping and you'll have it tomorrow.

If you have to have it today, try checking out the Asian markets in the Strip. Lotus Foods has some cooking supplies. Not sure about rice cookers. There are like three or four different Asian markets there.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RiversNymph View Post
I bought my rice cooker at the Japanese store in New Jersey called, Mitsuwa.

I didn't make a special trip there just for a rice cooker, but when I go to NYC or Philly, I stock up on supplies at Mitsuwa. They have Tiger cookers which are made in Japan. I would call to confirm.

Maybe you can still order online at a store of your choice, but pay for overnight or one day delivery?

Did you contact Tokyo Japanese Food Store in Shadyside to see if they know a place nearby that carries Tigers? Most seem to carry Zojirushi.

Good Luck!
Thanks!! Will check out the Tokyo shop.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Amazon has two sizes, which they say are made in Japan, and they claim they can get it to you by tomorrow (go to checkout):

Amazon.com: Tiger JNP-S10U Electric 5.5-Cup (Uncooked) Rice Cooker and Warmer with Stainless Steel Finish: Kitchen & Dining

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=507846
Thanks! On my way to check out Tokyo shop in Shadyside, if they don't have it will resort to overnight shipping.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:18 PM

Thanks! On my way to check out Tokyo shop in Shadyside, if they don't have it will resort to overnight shipping.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post
Amazon has a bunch of the made in Japan models available. If you have prime, it's $10.99 shipping and you'll have it tomorrow.

If you have to have it today, try checking out the Asian markets in the Strip. Lotus Foods has some cooking supplies. Not sure about rice cookers. There are like three or four different Asian markets there.
Ahh! Asian markets, didn't think about it. Thank you!

Old 11-11-2018, 12:33 PM
JL

8,514 posts, read 14,484,139 times
Has anyone bought this model? If so, what was your experience? Costco allows flexible returns though i'm hoping this model lasts.

https://www.costco.com/Tiger-5.5-Cup...100410800.html

Old 11-11-2018, 01:30 PM

5,291 posts, read 6,119,762 times
Rice is easy to make. Don't know why anyone would need a rice cooker. Here is my recipe for rice pilaf.

I cup white long grain rice
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 tablespoon salt
3 tablespoons olive oil

Sauté rice and chopped vegetables together (stirring continuously) in the olive oil in a 4 quart pot for about 3 or 4 minutes.

Add the stock and salt, stir to blend, cover and cook at medium heat for exactly 20 minutes.

Comes out perfect every time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh