Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 09:16 AM

706 posts, read 1,048,231 times

Advertisements

Has anybody noticed that quite a bit of work has been done on the prominent building at the corner of 10th and East Carson Street? This is the building that used to house Kassab's Restaurant before they moved further up Carson. The building not only is large but sits on such a major entry to the South Side. That's why it baffled me that it would sit vacant for so long. I know that it is surely quite a pricey edifice, but still. I brought this up and wondered the same thing a few years ago. Someone mentioned "lack of parking" as the reason why no one wanted to take on the building. To me, that is ridiculous. There is no where to park anywhere on the South Side basically. If you have a good business, people will park wherever and venture to your establishment. That is how South Side Works. It is all about foot traffic. Anyway, it looks like they sandblasted the building and are putting up some new canopies with an orange tone. Does anybody know what is moving in there? It looks to be a restaurant on the ground floor. I am sure there are going to apartments upstairs. It would be a good place for Duquesne students or whomever.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...ASufGoVFfrXosw A thread that I started in September 2008 when I went by nuwaver88. It had already been vacant for a few years even then. So we are looking at a decade or so that this most prominent corner has been a bit of an eyesore.

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 05-25-2014 at 09:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2014, 09:19 AM

1,183 posts, read 2,144,727 times
The entire block between 10th and 11th has had me scratching my head for years now, as well as the block between Carson and Bingham on 10th. Essentially the entire rest of the South Side, from 11th to the Hot Metal Bridge (and even on the other side of 10th Street in most cases, though that area is more industrial) is fixed up and well-preserved, but this ONE very visible block has looked completely awful for almost a decade now. There must be some reason. Nice to know they're finally fixing it up.

Old 05-25-2014, 09:38 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,878,294 times
I don't know about the whole block but the two storefronts on the corner of 11th & carson that are empty, one with boarded up windows & the other spray painted with graffiti are owned by an attorney that is old & rich and wants some astronomical amount to rent them, which no one will pay but he's stubborn & would rather lose money with them just sitting empty then renting them for what (in his mind only) they are worth. Its sad because they get a call (I know someone that works for him) nearly weekly by people inquiring about renting the place & putting in businesses.

I think this is unfortunately fairly common in Pittsburgh as your assessment remains relatively low if your place looks sh*tty even if its located in a prime area, thus lowers the incentive to do anything with it if you're a greedy owner.

I wish the city would force the guy to do something as it is definitely an eyesore, and the front bricks are literally falling off. If someone wants to win a lawsuit, next winter go down & slip & fall in front as the walks are not cleared there ever.

Likewise, the row of grey houses along 10th st next to the CoGo's are owned by 2 elderly sisters, one of which wants to either sell or renovate them but the other refuses to do anything so they just sit there.

Last edited by UKyank; 05-25-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 11:43 AM

I also believe that sprucing up the area around 10th Street will also go a long way toward the revitalization of the area from Station Square to 10th. That stretch has seen some improvements over the years, but it has been slow. There is not a ton of room for too much more commercial space, but I see this being a hot area for more residential. There also could some improved streetscaping in this area.

Old 05-25-2014, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,028 times
I thought I heard the Cambodican Kitchen guy was rennovating a building with apartments on Carson. Not sure what or where...?

Old 05-25-2014, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purghatory View Post
I thought I heard the Cambodican Kitchen guy was rennovating a building with apartments on Carson. Not sure what or where...?
I know that he has a good business and everything, but if his pockets are that deep to buy that property, I would be surprised. Then again, he may have another source of income and/or partners in the venture. I hope it is true because Dan is a nice guy. I have been frequenting his business since he had his "Cat on a Stick" truck in the early 1990s.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:02 PM

912 posts, read 1,731,784 times
The apartments are already up on Craigslist for rent:
2 bdr apartment available may or June

Old 05-25-2014, 04:06 PM

912 posts, read 1,731,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Whiz View Post
I also believe that sprucing up the area around 10th Street will also go a long way toward the revitalization of the area from Station Square to 10th. That stretch has seen some improvements over the years, but it has been slow. There is not a ton of room for too much more commercial space, but I see this being a hot area for more residential. There also could some improved streetscaping in this area.
Speaking of the area between Station Square & 10th: Does anyone know what business opened up on the corner of 6th & Carson? I've driven by the past two Saturday afternoons, and the doors are open with a neon open sign lit up. There is some spray paint on the inside of the doors, but I couldn't read what it said. It looks pretty dark inside, too.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:18 PM

I saw that too as I was driving by the other day. It looked like a bar at quick glance, but I could not catch an establishment name. I may have to swing by again. This place that I never heard of used to be there, but it is closed according to the link.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...67720277,d.cWc

Last edited by Gee Whiz; 05-25-2014 at 07:28 PM..

Old 05-26-2014, 08:02 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,458,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't know about the whole block but the two storefronts on the corner of 11th & carson that are empty, one with boarded up windows & the other spray painted with graffiti are owned by an attorney that is old & rich and wants some astronomical amount to rent them, which no one will pay but he's stubborn & would rather lose money with them just sitting empty then renting them for what (in his mind only) they are worth. Its sad because they get a call (I know someone that works for him) nearly weekly by people inquiring about renting the place & putting in businesses.
Do you really know the whole story of that building and the current owner? Or is this all just speculation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: