Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 07:01 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times

Advertisements

Incarceration is a lazy bandaid, nothing more. What does sending a 20 year old to jail do? Sure got him off the streets, but why was he there in the first place? He had nothing to do and got involved in drugs and money. Kids from age 8-10 need activities and those activities need to be constant and available all the time. Sadly, we like focusing on reprimand and punishment, instead of looking at why all this is happening. Obviously parents are hugely to blame, but it is a cycle. How does one break a cycle? Mentors and a place for kids to go to be in a better atmosphere. Stop thinking of punishments and start thinking about fixing the problem for real. Sure we won't fix ALL of it, but it would drop a lot if kids were given the chance to get away from the cycle. Yep, it is harder than just locking up the kids in the cycle. Deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2014, 07:12 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
While it shouldn't be the answer & other methods need to be looked at, you likewise can't ignore the fact that as incarceration has increased in the US crime has decreased in direct correlation
I don't think it is as easy as that. Technology has helped in dropping crime rates. There are cameras all over the place to deter crime.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:48 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Incarceration is a lazy bandaid, nothing more. What does sending a 20 year old to jail do? Sure got him off the streets, but why was he there in the first place? He had nothing to do and got involved in drugs and money. Kids from age 8-10 need activities and those activities need to be constant and available all the time. Sadly, we like focusing on reprimand and punishment, instead of looking at why all this is happening. Obviously parents are hugely to blame, but it is a cycle. How does one break a cycle? Mentors and a place for kids to go to be in a better atmosphere. Stop thinking of punishments and start thinking about fixing the problem for real. Sure we won't fix ALL of it, but it would drop a lot if kids were given the chance to get away from the cycle. Yep, it is harder than just locking up the kids in the cycle. Deal with it.
And even that doesn't always work. My husband worked with a happily married woman with several kids. Kids all played ball or cheered, got good grades, heavily religious family, lots of parenteral interaction. The kids went on to college or got in the trades.

One son however, got involved in a neighborhood beef. He wasn't there when the whole thing happened, but when it came to go for retaliation, he was there with his friends. And was the shooter who missed the target (not hard to do in the fast moving car) and instead of killing the 16 year old, shot and killed a baby.

I guess we can give him credit -- he felt really bad and went to his pastor and confessed and the pastor got him to give himself up.

But if he had hit the right guy -- I'd bet he'd be fine with it and still walking outside today.

To me it's mind boggling. I have been angry enough to kill -- IF I HAD THE GUN IN MY HAND, OR in close proximity. If I had a gun, the gun would be locked up in a safe, and I had to go find the keys, and then find the keys to the ammo case, I'd have cooled down enough to realize just how stupid this is. That's the number one reason I won't have a gun.

For some reason they aren't seeing what I see -- that it's stupid to kill people because it doesn't get you anywhere but dead. It almost seems like a way of life. And it has been for generations. That's going to take a cultural shift.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I have been angry enough to kill -- IF I HAD THE GUN IN MY HAND, OR in close proximity. If I had a gun, the gun would be locked up in a safe, and I had to go find the keys, and then find the keys to the ammo case, I'd have cooled down enough to realize just how stupid this is. That's the number one reason I won't have a gun.
It depends on the person. I didn't trust my first husband with a hunting rifle and made him keep it under the waterbed so he'd have to drain the waterbed to get it. I'm not the least bit concerned about my husband and our guns. He's very cool tempered under the most dire of circumstances. We kept the firearms and ammo locked due to the children. That's it. In all of my years living with firearms, which is most of my life, I never had the urge to get a gun out. It has never crossed my mind. I'd say it takes more forethought to get a weapon of any type even if one is nearby. I'd be more likely to physically jump someone than take the time to think of a weapon.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:30 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I knew it was due to fear of retaliation. We need to provide them with real witness protection. Witnesses for organized crime get it. IMO gangs are organized crime. Are witnesses not getting witness protection because they're black and live in the ghetto? Would they even be willing since it means leaving their community and having no contact with their large extended families forever?
Before suggesting it, one needs to ask if they're willing to do it themselves? First being a witness and then entering the system. Easy to suggest somebody do it until the shoes on your foot.

Old 05-31-2014, 12:45 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,379,878 times
Another thing....
The gangsters HAVE guns. Remember the Edgewood Towne Centre shooting. An alleged gang-affiliated indivual with the Braddocc Crips and some alleged gang-affiliated guys with the J-Town Hoods were carrying guns with them in EDGEWOOD. So you know the 20-35yr olds stay packing in their hoods and neutral ghettos, if they carry in non gang-affiliated/non ghetto neighborhoods/popular locations.

Also ever since the emergence Chief Keef and other hip hop artist from "Chi-Raq Drillinois", the teenage gangsters have been keeping extended clips. In other words, in the mean streets if Allegheny County its simply not cool to carry a pistol or glock anymore without extra magazines. This is what's getting scary.

BTW- for a long time I thought SCR was just a nubie... For years innocent people have been getting caught in the crossfire in the hoods of greater Pittsburgh. But I do think he's right. In recent years there has been a slight uptick in gang members killing civilians. While certain (NOT ALL but several) street gangs- where the leading members are young, don't condone it. In areas like: the Hawkins Village Projects, parts of Homewood, parts of Duquesne & parts of the Hill (among others), the younger gang members have earned a reputation for being fine with it. In one case they even raped about it on YouTube!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Before suggesting it, one needs to ask if they're willing to do it themselves? First being a witness and then entering the system. Easy to suggest somebody do it until the shoes on your foot.
The problem is the option isn't even available to them!

Old 05-31-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
The problem is the option isn't even available to them!
Not the issue.

IF it were available, would you do it if you had the opportunity to be a witness and enter the system?

Many feel they have all the answers, however, many of those same people don't do anything to participate with their ideas. In most cases it's always coulda, shoulda, woulda.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Not the issue.

IF it were available, would you do it if you had the opportunity to be a witness and enter the system?

Many feel they have all the answers, however, many of those same people don't do anything to participate with their ideas. In most cases it's always coulda, shoulda, woulda.
It is an issue. Even though it's not easy to do, people DO it. The inner city witnesses should have the same opportunity to protection that is provided witnesses of organized crime. Maybe some of these people who were killed would have been witnesses if they could have found protection before they were killed. It's not like it's always a surprise when a gang is after someone. And criminals turn on each other all the time to save their asses from being killed. People usually know when someone is after them. So, yes, there are people who would go into the witness protection program under certain circumstances if the option was available. The option not being available is a travesty.

Old 05-31-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
It is an issue. Even though it's not easy to do, people DO it. The inner city witnesses should have the same opportunity to protection that is provided witnesses of organized crime. Maybe some of these people who were killed would have been witnesses if they could have found protection before they were killed. It's not like it's always a surprise when a gang is after someone. And criminals turn on each other all the time to save their asses from being killed. People usually know when someone is after them. So, yes, there are people who would go into the witness protection program under certain circumstances if the option was available. The option not being available is a travesty.
I'll take that as a no you wouldn't. .

Its easy to suggest what others should do, with or without the option, until one is put in their position and then its not so easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh