Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 09:55 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,717,871 times

Advertisements

I definitely agree that Pittsburgh is a better place to visit than it was previously, perhaps even as little as 5 years ago.

However, if you actually had a casual talk with someone IRL and told them you were vacationing in Pittsburgh I can't imagine what kind of reactions you'd get. Like I said previously, it's good for a day or two to visit but having an extended vacation is a bit wacky.

Imagine a world where people from OBX have PGH stickers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 10:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I dunno - your post makes some great points, but the view of NYC from top of Empire State Building is pretty mindblowing. Seattle viewed from Queen Ann hill when Rainier is out? Chicago from the lakefront? Denver with the Rockies in the background?

Each to their own ...
They are good views for sure. The Twin Towers was even more crazy good, but look what you have to compare our natural view from Mt. Washington to. Look at your list. That says it all if you have to pull out those views to compare our natural views to. The only reason Pittsburgh isn't some big deal is because of the bad times and all the pictures of a smoke filled city. Interestingly, that wild past might be our silver lining because Pittsburgh made an amazing comeback. That is what we call history and a great story, not to mention the great looks of our city. Like I said, if Pittsburgh was in Europe, it would be a tourist destination.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:07 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,817,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
Pitt isn't a bad place to live at all, but it is by no means a world class destination. A long weekend will cover just about everything. Outside the city there isn't a whole lot to draw tourism either. Seattle is a great city, but it also has Mt Rainer, Olympic Natl Park, Puget sound, all near by. Pitt just doesn't offer a whole lot. Ive been to the zoo, museums a number of times. They aren't that great.
Quote:
For the Travel Channel's 2014 list, announced June 2, network officials polled staff members and a network of industry advisers, who considered factors such as historic sites and landmarks, appeal to young people, family-friendliness and the arts...The other nine Best All-American Vacations locations for 2014 are Bannack State Park in Montana; Black Hills in the Dakotas; Crater Late National Park in Oregon; Everglades National Park in Florida; Finger Lakes in New York; Joshua Tree National Park in California; Nantucket Island in Massachusetts; the Washington, D.C., metro area; and Moab, Utah. ..Bettencourt said Pittsburgh's manageable size and more economical cost factored in to its rank.
Read more: Pittsburgh lands spot on Travel Channel's All-American Vacations list | TribLIVE
the list isn't the top destinations, it's a niche list and there's nothing wrong with that, and its inclusion of pittsburgh isn't wrong. Ive been to cleveland, didn't like it, and am not particularly interesting in taking my family there. NY is interesting but can be a hassle (stressful)for a family because it's so damned crowded.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:15 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,724 times
For traveling with a family for a 4+ day trip to a particular city that would fit multiple interest...I would pick San Diego, Seattle, San Fran, DC, Boston, Tampa, Denver, Vegas, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, all leaps and bounds more interesting than Pitt.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:26 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,899 times
Quote:
For traveling with a family for a 4+ day trip to a particular city that would fit multiple interest...I would pick San Diego, Seattle, San Fran, DC, Boston, Tampa, Denver, Vegas, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, all leaps and bounds more interesting than Pitt.

You would take a family to Vegas for 4+ days?!?!

I am a single guy and a 3 day stay is long enough that city. Last time I was there, I went for a jog off the strip, and was shocked at how downright slumy large areas of town are. I felt unsafe many times. Also what is interesting about it? Hoover Dam? Grand Canyon? Those are not in Vegas. Vegas is about one thing, and one thing only...over consumption in all regards (food, gambling, sex, booze and drugs), then the end result of people begging on the streets. Maybe its the people dressed up as drunk Disney characters on the street that you are referring to....

Old 06-04-2014, 10:27 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Quote:
It's all personal opinion - of the above, I for example would pick sanfran, DC, Boston & San Diego (maybe savannah as that's the only place I've not been to listed & don't know much about) over Pgh, but not the others.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:33 AM

The whole "if Pittsburgh was in Europe it would be huge" thing is really silly. As posted many times Pittsburgh is nearly a mirror image of Kaunas, Lithuana and no one goes out of their way to travel there. There are plenty of charming European cities with beauty, architecture, and history that fly right under the radar too.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:47 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
The whole "if Pittsburgh was in Europe it would be huge" thing is really silly. As posted many times Pittsburgh is nearly a mirror image of Kaunas, Lithuana and no one goes out of their way to travel there. There are plenty of charming European cities with beauty, architecture, and history that fly right under the radar too.
Because of the rivers? I scanned the Wikipedia page and couldn't see many other similarities. Sheffield in the UK seems more comparable, as a medium sized hilly city surrounded by nature that had it steel industry decimated in the 80s. It only has one river though ...

If Pittsburgh was in Europe, who knows - it's kinda hard to speculate? Lithuania is pretty much off the beaten track in Europe so the fact that Kaunas isn't a major draw is not a shock. You're right about the under-the-radar Euro cities, I've bumped into many and the surprises are amazing. The somewhat longer history there makes it really difficult to draw any type of meaningful comparisons. I bet the microbreweries and sports and Warhol would be a draw though

Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM

That's pretty incredible.

Also, Lithuania has an amazing "hidden" beer culture that never really left its borders. Apparently they have unique yeast strains there that make one of a kind beers. I want to go.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:11 AM

618 posts, read 692,124 times
Quote:
Forgive my disbelief, but Tampa? Really?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh