Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 10:51 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be nice to have a one-stop thread for impending newcomers seeking housing to visit to keep themselves abreast of apartment, townhome, and condo projects that are either under construction, in the advanced planning stages, or have recently opened in our fair city. Considering our rental vacancy rate has consistently been among the lowest in the nation for years any and all new housing being brought to the marketplace is direly needed to offset soaring rents.

Here's one to get us started, and I'll be adding more soon:

BLOOMFIELD: Morrow Park City Apartments

Located kitty-cornered to the namesake Morrow Park at the intersection of Baum Boulevard & Liberty Avenue at the gateway to Bloomfield, as well as across the street from a Hyatt House Hotel that is also under construction, this project will feature 215 upscale apartments with underground parking for 181 cars and 72 bikes. The complex is within walking distance to UPMC Shadyside; West Penn Hospital; Children's Hospital; and the business districts of Bloomfield, Shadyside, and East Liberty. It is very near to the East Busway and is located along or near direct bus routes to Downtown and Oakland. There is a well-marked bike lane along Liberty Avenue between the complex and Downtown via the Strip District.

Village Green presents 215-unit plan for Bloomfield - Pittsburgh Business Times

Village Green ready to begin construction on Morrow Park City Apartments - Pittsburgh Business Times

Development, Construction & Renovation

https://www.facebook.com/MorrowParkCityApts?fref=nf

Delivery: Summer 2015.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 06-06-2014 at 11:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:03 PM

STRIP DISTRICT: 2500 Smallman

The president for Pitt Ohio Logistics and his wife, Chuck & Kristen Hammel, have just begun transforming an old warehouse on Smallman Street, across 25th Street from the Otto Milk Condos, into a very unique seven-figure condominium community of 11 units. The interior of the warehouse will offer a central courtyard, similar to what can be found in Europe. These 3- to 5-bedroom units, each with attached garage parking, will be available in Summer 2015. They will range in size from 3,400 square feet to over 5,000 square feet.

“We have the opportunity to transform a humble warehouse building into what will arguably be the most unique residential community in Pittsburgh. These are true city homes, handsome hybrids that combine the charm and luxury of condos, brownstones, and townhouses,” says Chuck Hammel.

2500 Smallman : The Strip! magazine

Hammels to bring 'city houses' to the Strip - Pittsburgh Business Times

2500 Smallman will offer Pittsburgh's most luxurious townhomes » NEXTpittsburgh

What's interesting to me is that the primary real estate agent says she's been fielding interest from residents of other large cities who are looking for second homes in Pittsburgh.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 PM

SHADYSIDE: Bovie House

Fifteen new high-end apartments in a four-story building with ground-level retail were completed last year along Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside, near Summerlea Street. The apartments range in size from 1,150 square feet to 1,400 square feet. Rents are approximately $1,700/month.

Connected

New Bovie House Being Constructed on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside in Boring Pittsburgh

https://www.facebook.com/BovieHouse

It's been difficult to find much information about this place, as you are required to fill out personalized fields (including your occupation) in order to be given more information. According to the complex's Facebook page, Bovie House was 2/3 rented as of August 13, 2013. I'd imagine it's fully rented today. I personally think the exterior aesthetics of the building are hideous; however, the location is one of the best in the city---walkable to all three of Shadyside's unique business districts; walkable to East Liberty (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Home Depot, Target, Starbuck's, PetSmart, etc.); walkable to the Negley Avenue station of the East Busway, which will whisk you Downtown in about 15 minutes; and located right along Ellsworth Avenue, a major bus route.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 PM

That's all for tonight. I'm heading to bed. I'll add more tomorrow. Others can feel free to add more projects too!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:40 PM

706 posts, read 1,048,810 times
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...UkPVeSSXmLCLIA 1100 Smallman
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...GYjiSXTKaJJiwA1501 Penn

Old 06-07-2014, 08:22 PM

876 posts, read 1,144,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
STRIP DISTRICT: 2500 Smallman

The president for Pitt Ohio Logistics and his wife, Chuck & Kristen Hammel, have just begun transforming an old warehouse on Smallman Street, across 25th Street from the Otto Milk Condos, into a very unique seven-figure condominium community of 11 units.
SOMETHING IS EITHER UNIQUE OR IT'S NOT, THERE ARE NO DEGREES OF UNIQUENESS!!!

... sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:36 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,692,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
SOMETHING IS EITHER UNIQUE OR IT'S NOT, THERE ARE NO DEGREES OF UNIQUENESS!!!

... sorry, pet peeve of mine.
How very true!

Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
I've never heard about that 1100 Smallman project but it looks awesome. Do you have a idea when they will start it? I didn't notice anything about that on the link.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:05 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,258,906 times
Oxford Development is working on two residential projects in the city. Hot Metal Flats- luxury apartments on the South Side and Homewood Station- senior citizen residences in Homewood Brushton.

Oxford Development Company

Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,198 times
Way behind schedule with starting, Bryant St phase II in Highland Park is underway. They seem to be using steel construction and are moving pretty quickly:

City unveils Bryant Street business development - Pittsburgh Business Times

There's some infill starting soon in East Liberty - single family houses on vacant lots. There will likely be about 20 new construction for sale houses over the next 2-3 years. I'll post photos as they happen.

Also there's the Doughboy Square apartments in Lawrenceville:
New Pittsburgh Apartments For Rent - Doughboy Square Apartments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh