Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 09:26 AM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
I'm not sure what it is about Pittsburgh, but the social scene isn't exactly open. It's some kind of closed off loop where unless you grew up together, forget about ever getting an invite over. Another thing about Pittsburgh is, you can't be intellectual and discuss international affairs or something. People won't get it or appreciate it. I've lived in areas where people intentionally mispronounce words just because it's more acceptable than saying correct English. To sound smart here is not cool.
As a Woodland Hills High School teacher once said to me:

The Treaty of Ver-sigh

The Township of North Ver-sales

It's not just Pittsburgh, though. In rural South Jersey, for example, Buena is pronounced "Byuna." Even some wealthy areas have "incorrect" place name pronunciations, such as New Canaan (New Cane-in) in Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 09:30 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,887,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Even some wealthy areas have "incorrect" place name pronunciations, such as New Canaan (New Cane-in) in Connecticut.
I've never heard another pronunciation of "Canaan."

Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,954,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think in NYC it's more a matter of there being so much to do everywhere there really is no reason to leave your particular hood too much.

For example, let's say you live in Park Slope, and hear about a great Thai place in the East Village. Maybe if you work in Manhattan you'd try it out, but why bother otherwise when you have 15 Thai places either within walking distance or one subway stop away?

Also, remember that some of NYC's biggest neighborhoods (like Long Island City) basically have as many people as Pittsburgh all by themselves.
Thats not an excuse. Im an urban explorer and would not limit myself to five city blocks.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've never heard another pronunciation of "Canaan."
I believe it's K'Nahn, but maybe "Cane-in" is just a general American thing?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
I believe it's K'Nahn, but maybe "Cane-in" is just a general American thing?
Is that Hebrew?

Old 06-12-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is that Hebrew?
Yes, among other Canaanite languages (Canaanite is a subfamily of Semitic languages).

Old 06-12-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Yes, among other Canaanite languages (Canaanite is a subfamily of Semitic languages).
Guess what. You were right. http://www.forvo.com/word/canaan/

Old 06-12-2014, 05:17 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,296 times
I think on a social level, Pittsburgh is just a big country town?...and that the East End might be more cosmopolitan?...For
example..with the Yinzers I can talk basic sports and basic front page news...with the ghetto types its what is
going on the reality shows,sports or how bad the kids are..or church..or stars in the entertainment..

If I talk about my own interests such as Afro-Beat, the British Northern Soul scene, House Music or African and Caribbean
issues..I have to explain what I am talking about first, unless its transplants from NYC or foreign people usually connected
with the Universities...

My Spanish and Krio is going to waste here too..

Old 06-12-2014, 05:28 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,879,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post
I think on a social level, Pittsburgh is just a big country town?...and that the East End might be more cosmopolitan?...For
example..with the Yinzers I can talk basic sports and basic front page news...with the ghetto types its what is
going on the reality shows,sports or how bad the kids are..or church..or stars in the entertainment..

If I talk about my own interests such as Afro-Beat, the British Northern Soul scene, House Music or African and Caribbean
issues
..I have to explain what I am talking about first, unless its transplants from NYC or foreign people usually connected
with the Universities...

My Spanish and Krio is going to waste here too..
I don't think you're going to get many takers on discussions about such niche music anywhere, including NYC, outside of a few select circles.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I don't think you're going to get many takers on discussions about such niche music anywhere, including NYC, outside of a few select circles.
But Pgh. is a wasteland compared to many other places.............I certainly would have been interested in such a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh