Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 07:18 PM

22 posts, read 22,484 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my name's Chris and i just got my first job out of college in Pittsburgh! I've only been in the city for like an hour (on my interview day...) but i was sure i'd love it. anyway, i start july 28th so i'm in a rush to secure an apartment (apt shopping this weekend actually). my work is literally across the street from the airport, so i'll definitely be dealing with a commute. i witnessed the pittsburgh traffic first hand leaving my interview at 4pm and it was a little unsettling to say the least...

i would like input on where to look for an apartment with the following in mind:
-around a 30 min or less commute (with rush hour traffic) to the airport
-looking for a 'fun' area with lots to do - my girlfriend and i are both 23 so we're not interested in a white picket fence in the burbs just yet lol

those are the big ones i guess. i've done tons of research, but it's hard not being from the city and not being able to easily visit. i think mt washington would be great, but i haven't found any apartments that i like yet. i already decided whole shadyside area is out of the picture because of commute unfortunately. i recently was thinking of somewhere in the north area (like perry south) and commuting using 279N and 65. but i don't know if those areas are good for young people.

anyway.... any help would be greatly appreciated because my head is spinning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2014, 07:37 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,158,888 times
Welcome to this wonderful city! I think it will be important to know your budget before we can really help you. Mt. Washington would seem to fit the bill. The commute home in the afternoon will be worse than your morning commute. There are a few cool places to eat/drink near Shiloh St. in Mt Wash, you'll want to stay reasonably close to there. It is a short cab ride or ride on the incline plus walk to the South Side where there is some good nightlife. I doubt you'd want to pay the premium to live on Grandview.

You might actually also be able to find a place in the South Side Flats or South Side Slopes that fits the bill, depending upon your budget, tolerance to the max of that 30 minute commute, and desire/lack of desire to live in an area with very active nightlife.

Suburban options include Dormont, Mt. Lebanon, Sewickley, and Robinson. Some of the West End neighborhoods may also fit the bill. With each of these, going left to right, your nightlife options lessen.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
A lot of younger people live out near the airport, the airlines hire a lot of young'uns as stewardesses and other jobs. Robert Morris and PTI also attract a lot of folks.

I'd be looking at different apartment complexes along the parkway or in Moon.

Commuting out from the city along 65 is a pretty hard trip, particularly with 65 being the detour for the work down on W. Carson St.

Old 06-16-2014, 07:45 PM

thanks for the welcome. my budget is around 800 or less with 1,000 being absolute max.

i was avoiding southside flats because i was thinking i don't want to be THAT close to nightlife (i'm sounding really picky now lol). SS slopes might be a good compromise though. I definitely don't [think] i want way suburban like those you listed though. my girlfriend lives way outside of her current city and i think it was a mistake. although you definitely get more bang for your buck in terms of apartments...

SPAM - thanks for the input. i was really skeptical of living all the way out in moon but maybe i'll give it a search. being that far out then would probably not be favorable for my gf who would likely get a job in the city though... ugh!

Old 06-16-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman42 View Post

SPAM - thanks for the input. i was really skeptical of living all the way out in moon but maybe i'll give it a search. being that far out then would probably not be favorable for my gf who would likely get a job in the city though... ugh!
What's the gf's line of work, that makes it so likely she will find a job in the city, as opposed to the suburbs?

There are a lot of employers both west of the city as well as in the Cranberry/Wexford areas north, which are not so bad commutes from points west on I 79.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 PM

she's currently working for planned parenthood in harrisburg and is hoping to transfer to the pittsburgh office - although that is temporary so i guess it's a pretty big unknown unfortunately

Old 06-16-2014, 08:21 PM

jay - hopefully you see this, i can't pm until 10 posts i think, and i'm limited to 1 direct message a day (lol....)

anyway, i grew up in the allentown pa area and went to school at penn state. my main motivation for being close to the city is so that i can explore and actually experience it -- i know that if i was farther away i would just be lazy and stay home.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,459,429 times
Ill second mt washington area. its close to s side for nightlife and has enough nightlife to keep you entertained when not in the mood for south side craziness.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:29 PM

thanks, i'm really feeling good about mt washington then. how's the commute to the airport? am i correct in saying that it's advisable to avoid 376 (parkway west? still getting used to the 'nicknames')

Old 06-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman42 View Post
thanks, i'm really feeling good about mt washington then. how's the commute to the airport? am i correct in saying that it's advisable to avoid 376 (parkway west? still getting used to the 'nicknames')

I don't think avoiding the Parkway is that important, avoiding the Ft. Pitt Tunnel is advisable however.

Mt. Washington would give you a tunnel-less commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh